Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show Us Your Dobs

The 16” LB was indeed a right pain to move about. Overweight and the optics were OK but not great. Needed a lot of mods to make it usefull. Was replaced by an OO 14” that was miles better and about half the weight.  The LB16 weighed about 60kg. 🙀

Edited by johninderby

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The 16” LB was indeed a right pain to move about. Overweight and the optics were OK but not great. Needed a lot of mods to make it usefull. Was replaced by an OO 14” that was miles better and about half the weight. 

How come you've gradually moved back to a 10? Is there a balance to be found with function/weight?

Just now, markse68 said:

Square base is more compact but does it give up anything stability-wise compared to the wider round base? 

I've used my dob at very high powers (400x plus) and it is very stable. Rock solid in fact.

My garden is pretty smooth and level though.

My Lightbridge 12 was stable as well, just larger and a lot heavier. The LB 12 weighed around 37kg in total. My dob weighs 10 kg less.

• Like 2

Found the bigger scopes just didn’t get used enough. The “little” 10” is a handy size but would consider going up to a 12” if Bresser ever makes one but no bigger.

Edit:

Or maybe an OO12” 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Found the bigger scopes just didn’t get used enough. The “little” 10” is a handy size but would consider going up to a 12” if Bresser ever makes one but no bigger.

Edit:

Or maybe an OO12” 😁

I'm glad you helped point me in the Bresser direction. I've seen quite a bit of flak since of the SW bases. Could be a moot point though if I do get an OO base. I was being blinded by the nice paint work  and shortened storage 🤣

1 hour ago, John said:

No kids here now - all grown up and flown the nest :icon_biggrin:

@Barry-W-Fenner The mirror in my dob is, according to the test sheet, around 1/9th wave PV and has a .987 strehl rating.

With Orion Optics I feel that there is no point in spending out unless you go for one of their better quality mirrors. The mirrors from the far east are probably as good as the "standard" quality OO mirrors so you might as well step up a level or two. It's what OO are best at.

Forgive my ignorance John, would 1/9th be labelled the Ultra Grade?  The highest spec mirror?

I am just trying to weigh up if it's worth buying the either the research or ultra grade mirror from the outset. Or source a 2nd hand VX with one of these mirrors rather than the standard mirror.

Regards

Barry

42 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Edit:

Or maybe an OO12” 😁

Thats how I feel John. I'm keeping one eye on Bresser to see if they produce a 12" dob. And also looking out for a nice 2nd hand VX12 or maybe 14 😂😂

3 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thats how I feel John. I'm keeping one eye on Bresser to see if they produce a 12" dob. And also looking out for a nice 2nd hand VX12 or maybe 14 😂😂

A CT12 with carbon tube would be very nice on a dob base.😁😁😁😁

Edited by johninderby

On nights of ordinary seeing doesn’t make a lot of differance really BUT when thos rare nights of great seeing come along then they come into their own. 🙂

The SW 6” f/8 fitted with the OO 1/12 mirror though always gave better views but part of that may have down to the smaller aperture. Used to tell people this was just my SW 150PL He he. 😁

C32CF430-B070-457D-BB37-7F822D59C454.jpeg

9CB46CB5-07BD-4637-AB55-03AD20547C8B.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Lovely collection there John. I can only imagine what images these instruments provide!

I was on the Orion Optics page earlier today looking at the VX12, Out of interest do you know what PV the primary mirror is in your dob? Is there any benefit to ordering on of the higher grade mirrors? 

Regards

Baz

the higher the grade the better. it will take high power better especially when conditions are ace. hence my 20" mirror set from orion optics 😀

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, faulksy said:

1 more pic as well, mine is the rose wood coloured. With the dob mob

DSC_0472.JPG

I bet the views are unbelievable through that scope! It looks beautiful. Where abouts was you viewing from, the location is stunning.

what make us the scope as you mentioned the optics are from orion.

Regards

Baz

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

I bet the views are unbelievable through that scope! It looks beautiful. Where abouts was you viewing from, the location is stunning.

what make us the scope as you mentioned the optics are from orion.

Regards

Baz

elan valley. i made the scope. the buil thread is in my signature 😀

On 22/05/2020 at 19:37, faulksy said:

1 more pic as well, mine is the rose wood coloured. With the dob mob

DSC_0472.JPG

Truly an awesome optic!

Was hoping to get out that way later in the year, all being well.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/06/2020 at 15:55, Barry-W-Fenner said:

A very happy daddy, and two very happy children in here somewhere 😂

Now just got to make the wife happy. This could get expensive 😂😁

DSC_0722.JPG

DSC_0724.JPG

Be interesting to see what you make of it Barry, happy new toy 😀

• Thanks 1

I was hopeful tonight but was just about to lug mine out and a large black cloud appeared on the horizon. 10 minutes later and a good downpour. The clear outside app unfortunately is right tonight ☹️

Did put a handle on mine this morning though..

• Sad 1