Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What's that? A sunspot? I've forgotten what they look like...!

PhotoGav

I had a brief window of opportunity this morning to grab an image of the new active region 2753, a small Cycle 25 sunspot in the lower left of the Sun's surface. That brings to an end the current 40 day stretch of Sun spotlessness. Hallelujah, at last!!! Far from perfect conditions, hence the haziness. Taken with my Lunt LS50THa and Chameleon 3 camera.

Happy Christmas to you all!

2019-12-24_Sol-3.thumb.png.edbc3ad525604ca29421956a6a0a06fe.png

• Like 21

Can sunspots be so faint that my camera couldn't even capture?🤣 Captured with ASI120MC, 60280 guidescope with seymour solar film, pretty sure the focus was decent.

Capture_00001.png

Edited by ZiHao
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2019 at 15:51, PhotoGav said:

I had a brief window of opportunity this morning to grab an image of the new active region 2753, a small Cycle 25 sunspot in the lower left of the Sun's surface. That brings to an end the current 40 day stretch of Sun spotlessness. Hallelujah, at last!!! Far from perfect conditions, hence the haziness. Taken with my Lunt LS50THa and Chameleon 3 camera.

Happy Christmas to you all!

2019-12-24_Sol-3.thumb.png.edbc3ad525604ca29421956a6a0a06fe.png

Nice. You have picked up both spots there, one in each hemisphere. They are reverse polarity so both from the new cycle (25). Can only get better now until 2025.

• Like 2

Well done Gav. I did go out on Christmas day late morning with the PST + DS and viewed AR2753. Turning the tuner into white light I could see the two small spots. Tried to see AR2754 and although I think I could make out a minor plage in that region that was all.

Let us hope that the activity starts to increase in 2020.

• Like 2

Thanks folks. @Mark at Beaufort - unfortunately it is unlikely to be much more active next year, though 2021 should see a significant rise in activity... add to that, planets are low in the clag from here in the UK too... and it seems to be permanently pants weather... oh what joy... I’m becoming ever more of a theoretical rather than practical astronomer!!!

Hapoy New Year to everyone and let’s hope for plenty of clear skies in 2020!

• 2 weeks later...