NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

11 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

But it's not even made of wood! 😁

Who cares in the dark when you are putting it all back in the car? 😃

There is a cheaper model here

https://astrograph.net/epages/www_astrograph_net.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/www_astrograph_net/Products/AGSMCYG42

but a 3/8 bolt.

has 2 M8 holes as well.

Edited by Deadlake

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

the newer Vixen tripods are 45mm  recess so not ideal.

You mean like the HAL tripod, the bolt is not long enough?

Has anyone used a t-pod here with the AZ-100?

Edited by Deadlake

12 hours ago, Deadlake said:

You mean like the HAL tripod, the bolt is not long enough

Yes but the HAL tripod can be adapted to a 60mm recess with a Vixen part. Not so for Vixen APP and CF tripods with centre pole underneath. The recess is part of proper fixing of mount, it's not good enough to just  use a longer bolt. For full capability of AZ 100 you need to think about the joint to tripod or pier. You could waste money on an expensive tripod if the mount is not well connected.

(The proper 45mm Vixen fixing is actually a tapered spigot, the bolt is just there to hold it in!)

(There is a post a few months back about t-pod ? )

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Yes but the HAL tripod can be adapted to a 60mm recess with a Vixen part.

The SXG-HAL130 has a 60 mm recess?

This adapter converts to he SGX to a 45 mm recess to be used with older vixen mounts.

https://global.vixen.co.jp/en/product/25169_8/

If the AZ100 needs a 60 mm recess I should be ok?

No! The SXG HAL is for Sphynx etc mounts with 45mm spigot. The part to convert this to 60mm is #75169.

I tried my HAL tripod with the Rowan and it is marginal. OK with single 100mm refractor but that is a fraction of mount capacity. It is though a lovely light tripod for transport, if you have one already. With 2 adaptors, Rowan and Vixen, it is not economic.

( I also have a Vixen fit pier so the adaptors are useful for that to me)

2 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

No! The SXG HAL is for Sphynx etc mounts with 45mm spigot. The part to convert this to 60mm is #75169.

I tried my HAL tripod with the Rowan and it is marginal. OK with single 100mm refractor but that is a fraction of mount capacity. It is though a lovely light tripod for transport, if you have one already. With 2 adaptors, Rowan and Vixen, it is not economic.

( I also have a Vixen fit pier so the adaptors are useful for that to me)

The path of least resistance is to buy the Berlebach and then purchase a separate head for the AZ100 and then Vixen mount. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The recess in an EQ6 is about 65mm

You are right John, but the mount bases seem to be nearer 60 mm which is the original nominal size used by Vixen before Skywatcher plaguerised every thing from Japan!! Strange things have also happened with castings for finder bases over the years so Skywatcher no longer always fits Vixen etc ( I just get a file out in that case!) ☹️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

The path of least resistance is to buy the Berlebach and then purchase a separate head for the AZ100 and then Vixen mount. 

Maybe but Berlebach heads are neither cheap or quick change. You can also buy a tripod with an EQ5 head to use with the Rowan adaptor, and get a little 45mm insert Berlebach make to suit Vixen SP etc. 

I think the choice depends on how you intend to use each of these mounts. Good luck!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Maybe but Berlebach heads are neither cheap or quick change. You can also buy a tripod with an EQ5 head to use with the Rowan adaptor, and get a little 45mm insert Berlebach make to suit Vixen SP etc. 

I think the choice depends on how you intend to use each of these mounts. Good luck!

Looking into the vixen route, its quite a lot of buy the 45-60mm adapter( part #75169) and then the Rowan M10 adapter. I agree the stability will take a hit over a purpose built solution.

Back to the T-Pod, this works as reported on CN. You need a NEQ6 adapter here, https://www.avalon-instruments.com/products-menu/accessories/eq6-tpod-mounts-adapter-kit-detail

This should also work the Geoptik Hercules tripod, which is cheaper than the planet but with some limitation around height adjustment.

The stability of the Planet/Hercules and T-pod is the same so you are down to cost and weight and lets be honest of the below the Planet and The T-pod look the best.

Hercules

Around £400  + NEQ6 Adapter is £30  + case £65 = £495 weight -> 10 kg

Planet

£599 + case £89 = £688 weight -> 11 kg 

T-Pod 110

£769 + NEQ6 adapter £30 (case included) = £799 -> weight 6.9 kg

For the T-Pod you are paying £100 for 4 kg weight reduction and also cheaper adapters then the Planet.

However the Hercules is a great value option.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

For those of you who might be using an AZ100 on an Avalon TPOD, I would assume that an 8" Edge SCT would be able to reach the zenith but would a Televue NP 127 also be able to reach the Zenith and not hit the tripod legs without a riser?

I already have the EQ6 12mm adapter for the AZ100. If I need a riser, apart from a custom made one, what might be an appropriate stock riser that already 12mm threads?

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, after much effort saving funds, an order for an AZ100 with encoders and Nexus DSC, single Vixen/Losmandy Saddle, counterweight bar and flange and counterweight was placed first thing this morning. 

Everything was showing as being in stock, so fingers crossed it arrives soon.  Weather forecast is good until Thurs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Very much looking forward to receiving it :D

Ade 

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Finally, after much effort saving funds, an order for an AZ100 with encoders and Nexus DSC, single Vixen/Losmandy Saddle, counterweight bar and flange and counterweight was placed first thing this morning. 

Everything was showing as being in stock, so fingers crossed it arrives soon.  Weather forecast is good until Thurs, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ade 

Fantastic! Sure you will love it Ade.

49 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Ade 

Excellent Ade, you will love it... :thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Fantastic! Sure you will love it Ade.

I'm hoping so @Stu first impressions at PAS when it was first launched were excellent.

8 hours ago, Saganite said:

Excellent Ade, you will love it... :thumbsup:

Can't wait to gety hands on it Steve.

7 hours ago, johninderby said:

I don’t know of anyone who has got their hands on one that isn’t impressed by the sheer quality of it. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Yes, the user reviews have been brilliant, I'm just hoping that the stock levels were correct when I ordered as it was showing 1 of the mount bundle in stock I think with all other parts having more than 1 in stock.

Fingers crossed I'll see it later this week.

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I'm just hoping that the stock levels were correct when I ordered as it was showing 1 of the mount bundle in stock I think with all other parts having more than 1 in stock.

If this was ordered from @FLO and showed as “in stock” you can be very fairly certain it was and it will be delivered very soon 👍

You’ll love it, I’m sure… it’s a fantastic mount 😃

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

If this was ordered from @FLO and showed as “in stock” you can be very fairly certain it was and it will be delivered very soon 👍

You’ll love it, I’m sure… it’s a fantastic mount 😃

Yes it was ordered from Auntie FLO so fingers crossed I'll see it later this week.

In case you haven't guessed, I can't wait for it to arrive.

Ade

• Like 1