Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

33 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Thanks. Interested in how you find the tracking of planets as well compared with your GEM. Quicker setup makes getting an AZ100 attractive.

For a TSA120 apparently you need a counterweight for accurate tracking reported on CN site.

From previous experience with the prototype tracking using the slo mo controls is very good. Obviously you need to keep adjusting both axes so it is not as relaxed or hands off as an EQ with tracking but I found it easy enough to keep the object centred. At high power for lunar and solar it was very easy. Not used it with a heavier scope yet but I have no reason to think it would be a problem. I can’t think why a counterweight would be needed for a TSA120. With 13kg I could see that a counterweight would help the tripod stability, although with my Planet and spiked feet dig in I suspect it would be ok. I have a counterweight and shaft so will likely use them just to be sure.

Out of interest, why are you considering an AZ100, you seemed very happy with your EQ.

• Like 1

A TSA 120 is a lot lighter than my Technosky 125 but once correctly balanced in the alt axis so the scope stays where you put it with the clutch disengaged tracking at high power lunar is very precise and easy with only the lightest touch on the slo mo controls needed to move the scope.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu said:

From previous experience with the prototype tracking using the slo mo controls is very good. Obviously you need to keep adjusting both axes so it is not as relaxed or hands off as an EQ with tracking but I found it easy enough to keep the object centred. At high power for lunar and solar it was very easy. Not used it with a heavier scope yet but I have no reason to think it would be a problem. I can’t think why a counterweight would be needed for a TSA120. With 13kg I could see that a counterweight would help the tripod stability, although with my Planet and spiked feet dig in I suspect it would be ok. I have a counterweight and shaft so will likely use them just to be sure.

Out of interest, why are you considering an AZ100, you seemed very happy with your EQ.

Setup time, AZ-100 will be one trip if attached to the tripod. I have to take down and setup the SXP2 every time. The LZOS needs 6.5 kg of counterweights, so the weight of the mount all in is around 20 kg.  
I suspect for DSO with bino’s easier to use the az100. 

For my SD103S I can also use a ScopeTech Zero mount, but I don’t have that option for my LZOS 130F6.

The star book is great, unique selling point, if I could have a permanent mount I would not be thinking about az100. A dolly for the SXP2 is another option.

Side by side mounting does look fun mind. 😀

If you dual mount, do you need to take a saddle off to fit the counterweight bar?

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

If you dual mount, do you need to take a saddle off to fit the counterweight bar?

The rowan saddles are drilled and tapped to accept the counterweight bar 👍

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Thanks. Interested in how you find the tracking of planets as well compared with your GEM. Quicker setup makes getting an AZ100 attractive.

For a TSA120 apparently you need a counterweight for accurate tracking reported on CN site.

I use my TSA 120 on an AZ 100 and Berlebach Planet.

I find no difference in tracking with or without counterweight.

No danger of toppling either 

Tracking on planets at high power is incredibly smooth. It does require almost continuous adjustment. Not too distracting but I prefer to concentrate purely on eeking out detail. Thus if im mainly observing planets I will use my AZ EQ 6 in AZ driven mode.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Setup time, AZ-100 will be one trip if attached to the tripod. I have to take down and setup the SXP2 every time. The LZOS needs 6.5 kg of counterweights, so the weight of the mount all in is around 20 kg.  
I suspect for DSO with bino’s easier to use the az100.

The star book is great, unique selling point, if I could have a permanent mount I would not be thinking about az100. A dolly for the SXP2 is another option.

Side by side mounting does look fun mind. 😀

I find lifting the combined AZ 100 + UNI 28 no problem. The Planet is a more of an effort, but I probably need to eat more shredded wheat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I use my TSA 120 on an AZ 100 and Berlebach Planet.

I find no difference in tracking with or without counterweight.

No danger of toppling either 

Tracking on planets at high power is incredibly smooth. It does require almost continuous adjustment. Not too distracting but I prefer to concentrate purely on eeking out detail. Thus if im mainly observing planets I will use my AZ EQ 6 in AZ driven mode.

Having a tracking mount for planetary use does mean you can focus on observation. Totally agree. A dolly might be the first best option. However for other uses AZ100 seems idea for those winter nights and for trips to darker sites.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Having a tracking mount for planetary use does mean you can focus on observation. Totally agree. A dolly might be the first best option. However for other uses AZ100 seems idea for those winter nights and for trips to darker sites.

Spot on Deadlake. I took my C9.25 + AZ EQ6 + Planet + observing chair + table + battery + eyepieces etc to a club view a few nights ago. Normally I just unload everything out the boot of my Volvo estate, no hassles. This time it was a different place, with a greater distance and I wish I’d just had the AZ 100 and no electrics.

However, with several ppl wanting to look, the drive was a huge advantage. Otherwise I’d have been forever centring. Not to mention the ability to GoTo a whole range of DSOs.

Other thing about observing planets at high mag where a drive is advantageous is the ability to constantly tweak focus as seeing varies.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Well I never. 😁😁😁

Might I ask when beta testing might be starting for the tracking motors. 
Not asking who will be testers. Men in white coats may show up at my door and cart me away ??!!  🤣🤣

John 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Not asking who will be testers. Men in white coats may show up at my door and cart me away ??!!  🤣🤣

John 

Not sure of an exact date, but should be soon I hope! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

John 

Hardware is finished but finishing the test software is taking a bit longer than expected but hopefully in the next couple of weeks, maybe.. 🙏🏼

Looking forward to getting on with the beta testing.. 😁

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Hardware is finished but finishing the test software is taking a bit longer than expected but hopefully in the next couple of weeks, maybe.. 🙏🏼

Looking forward to getting on with the beta testing.. 😁

A0AB043A-F510-4955-AB70-3992F152A0F4.gif.d472cee1ad5f1921d161a85ba45fad6d.gif

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Spot on Deadlake. I took my C9.25 + AZ EQ6 + Planet + observing chair + table + battery + eyepieces etc to a club view a few nights ago. Normally I just unload everything out the boot of my Volvo estate, no hassles. This time it was a different place, with a greater distance and I wish I’d just had the AZ 100 and no electrics.

However, with several ppl wanting to look, the drive was a huge advantage. Otherwise I’d have been forever centring. Not to mention the ability to GoTo a whole range of DSOs.

Other thing about observing planets at high mag where a drive is advantageous is the ability to constantly tweak focus as seeing varies.

Yes, once you are set up a mount with tracking seems the best option and visual Alt-Az. Given the amount of kit you took out, would the az100 of saved you that much from a weight perspective?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Yes, once you are set up a mount with tracking seems the best option and visual Alt-Az. Given the amount of kit you took out, would the az100 of saved you that much from a weight perspective?

No weight saving. Just a bit quicker setup and breakdown. One less trip with the electrics, Tracer battery.

On 14/08/2021 at 10:11, johninderby said:

A TSA 120 is a lot lighter than my Technosky 125 but once correctly balanced in the alt axis so the scope stays where you put it with the clutch disengaged tracking at high power lunar is very precise and easy with only the lightest touch on the slo mo controls needed to move the scope.

Plus the slo mo controls (and pan/tilt handle if fitted), all fall close together in use, so (with practise) they can be easily adjusted without taking your eye away from the eyepiece 👍

16 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I find lifting the combined AZ 100 + UNI 28 no problem. The Planet is a more of an effort, but I probably need to eat more shredded wheat.

I have the same setup and whilst it’s certainly not light, I can lift the tripod and AZ100 from my office, out the back door and onto the patio.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Thus if im mainly observing planets I will use my AZ EQ 6 in AZ driven mode.

@JeremyS Not AZ100 related (directly) but I’m curious if you find any difference in the smoothness of tracking (for visual) between your AZEQ6 running in driven AZ vs driven EQ 🤔

Edited by HollyHound

AZ100 adjustment plate which scope left or right?

Scopes fitted to Az100 = Ed120 and CC 6.

as I like the pan / tilt handle on the left side the adjuster plate will need to go on the right.

My thoughts are to mount the CC6 left and the Ed 120 right. The reason being the Ed 120 much greater FOV so less adjustment required to match the scopes. What's your thoughts please, or am I over thinking it?

Steve

15 hours ago, JeremyS said:

No weight saving. Just a bit quicker setup and breakdown. One less trip with the electrics, Tracer battery.

Do you bino’s? I can only use the SXP2 in GEM mode, I can imagine the bino’s coming into contact with the half pillar.

• Like 1