NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moon atlas

Maniek

They look excellent Maniek, I've not seen them before. I tend to mainly use phone apps but do have one good Moon atlas kindly donated to be by a member on here. I'll dig it out when I get home to add to the thread.

• Like 1

As much I love books I think that apps and software have overtaken printed star atlases in versatility. But for the Moon, well I still have this:

9780600362197-uk.jpg

It contains detailed "plates" very similar to the one in your last image. No better way to find your way round. An excellent resource at the eyepiece. Not that I've spent very much time observing the Moon in recent times.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul M said:

As much I love books I think that apps and software have overtaken printed star atlases in versatility. But for the Moon, well I still have this:

9780600362197-uk.jpg

It contains detailed "plates" very similar to the one in your last image. No better way to find your way round. An excellent resource at the eyepiece. Not that I've spent very much time observing the Moon in recent times.

That's the one I've got Paul! Very good it is too.

• Like 1

The sky and telescope field map of the moon which are smaller scale Rukl, but folded so you get a whole quadrant at a a time. Available in normal and mirror image for refractor users. My main grumble about Rukl is the size of the fields, making knowing where you are tricky. I also have 21st century moon atlas from Charles wood which uses lunar orbiter data stitched for constant sun angle which is quite nice.
Great to see Rukl back in print.. the second hand prices have been stupid.

peter

8 hours ago, Maniek said:

Since I prefer paper cards to Glass screen I have a Modest collection of moon maps. What are your help with watching Luna? IMG_20191217_122823.thumb.jpg.4a6de83a539eb3a6d5bf5c5b1a4d0fca.jpgIMG_20191217_122736.thumb.jpg.03332bb746aa6a4d36bc56bbe65cb05f.jpgIMG_20191217_122727.thumb.jpg.bf5a03d396b1023814782fe113165df1.jpg

IMG_20191217_122710.jpg

That last image in the line of pictures reminds me of something I have on file. It may not be the same but I found a set of images from early lunar reconnaissance orbiters before Apollo. I will try to find to find the link and back to everyone, as they are amazing.

M

Sorry can’t find the link but I will try to attach some of the charts. They are marked 1967. Perhaps someone else on here knows there origine, sorry I just can’t remember here source.

That is the first two of many, but if the source is not found I would be happy to wipe up my up load limit.

Marv

D5656D39-2F14-4801-B532-9D5644DFB375.jpeg

16ABEDDB-31AF-4F6D-BF0B-1990FE664473.jpeg

• Like 1

If you click on the one of the charts you can download them in three different resolutions. There used to someone on eBay who used to sell prints of them.

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatalog/LAC/

Such as

https://www.lpi.usra.edu/resources/mapcatalog/LAC/lac12/300dpi.jp2

Edited by johninderby

I now use the Virtual Moon Maps, but still have a paper collection.

The lpi charts shown above were available in four quadrant charts, which I still have.

Wilkins & Moore "The Moon", 1965 (use to have the Wilkins 300" moon atlas) 

Harold Hill's "A portfolio of Lunar drawings", 1991

Henry Hatfield's "Amateur Astronomers Photographic Lunar Atlas", 1968

Kopal "A new photographic atlas of the moon", 1971

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I have dreamed of a wall big enough to paste them on in there entirety. Then it was pointed out to me that I could take my scope outside and look at the real thing, feel like such a fool.

M

Believe it or not, a school friend also had a copy of "Moon Mars and Venus". He gave it to me and I cut out all the plates and made a rather large Moon map for my bedroom wall. I don't remember what happened to it. It's over 40 years ago. I seem to remember it didn't "stitch" together perfectly. But I liked it!

I find the 21st Century Moon Atlas by Charles wood and Maurice Collins very useful. As well as a guide to many lunar features the authors pose questions which get ones mind working and enhance the observing experience.

I also use the Virtual Moon Atlas on my laptop and LunarMap HD on my mobile phone.

Along with the three atlases below, I use the laminated lunar charts as shown in Marv's post above, which I acquired many years ago from Peter Grego. I've also got two lunar maps on my observatory wall, the first being a S&T mirror image moon map, and the second, an old vintage moon map by Thomas Gwyn Elger. Then I have a lunar globe and a false colour topographical lunar globe. Two other valuable books are  Craters of the Near Side Moon and Features of the Near Side Moon, both by John Moore.

20190221_132350.jpg.777bd4884fbf6b9eb61251ef1f227e32.thumb.jpg.ae3b3e892d8a5fb4ae98b79683c2fbb2.jpg20191217_225652.thumb.jpg.a4e0323f8b7b8e666202bfe75392246c.jpg

• Like 1

The first book on Maniek's post - The Fotographisher Mondatlas of which there are two pictures was translated by Storm Dunlop from the German and was published as The Cambridge Photographic Moon Atlas in around 2012 - not sure of the date.  It is a really superb book in the same format  as the Cambridge books on Comets, Galaxies and the Messier Objects.  I  recommend this highly if you can get hold of a copy.  Long out of print it can be found second hand.  Just checked on Amazon  and the cheapest they have one listed used is £53.  This is a lot less than most used copies, and I'd pay that if I didn't have a copy - and I had the money!  I bought my copy at Astrofest when it first came out, there was a big stack of them on the Cambridge stand.   

There is a link below, and you can 'open' the book and take a look.  I notice it's on Kindle, but believe me the Kindle version just won't do it justice, the book itself is well worth looking out for.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Photographic-Moon-Atlas/dp/1107019737/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=53928589675&gclid=CjwKCAiAluLvBRASEiwAAbX3GZuh9gq3bcnUyiKmp_WSwKzjOuNwdy7h-Inei-NRJtwjlv-LkzMkPxoC5-sQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259111411605&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9072512&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1o1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=13430592969180888212&hvtargid=kwd-345660739324&hydadcr=11462_1841672&keywords=cambridge+moon+atlas&qid=1576625249&sr=8-1

I have just about all the atlases that others have listed and wouldn't do without any of them (plus some interesting long out of print books).  I do use the Virtual Lunar Atlas on my laptop, for finding out the current terminator position which is very accurate and the ephemeris.

Edited by paulastro
  • Like 1

Oh thanks for that link - some superb images and charts. That’s the desktop picture on my work computer sorted for a while :)

I generally use the Moon Globe app when at the scope and have a small Collins or Phillips one by would love a really good atlas for studying indoors.