Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon atlas

Maniek

On 17/12/2019 at 22:20, johninderby said:

Interesting to,compare the LAC chart detail of Plate to a high res image.

98ECCEBD-9ED5-4F24-A714-8AFB2772075D.jpeg

1ADED371-390A-4FF8-A829-6B5364D0BADD.jpeg

Amazing accuracy, takes my breath away. I have noticed one curious thing that has me puzzled. Where in the hi res picture is Plato A? There is clearly something there but it looks like a low lying mountain. There seems to be no crater structure at all and it it clearly shown on the LAC chart along with what looks like a fault line like rupes rector.

M

Thank you for the link, very interesting. I am aware of this phenomenon but the comparison of Plato A between the two pictures LAC and hi res are radically different. My guess is that the LAC image uses data from over lapping images so the complete print has resolution from edge to edge. My second guess is that the hi res picture lacks definition towards it corners as the centre is so crisp.

M

Photos are never as sharp  as visual or at least not in pre lunar orbiting camera days. As the LAC charts are drawings perhaps they combined visual observations and photos to arrive at the finished drawing. 

Edited by johninderby