Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Jersey, Channel Islands.

Taman

Hello everyone, from Jersey, Channel Islands.

I have been interested in Astronomy for many years and started deep sky imaging just over a year ago, with my 11" Schmidt Cassegrain. Lots of things to learn and to go wrong! 

It's been very frustrating waiting for some clear nights, as there are some nice targets in the sky at the moment!

• Like 1

Hello Taman, and welcome to the community, hope you enjoy your time here in SGL,

the weather has not been good for most of the year, it's been rubbish here, see you around

the forums.

Clear Sky's.

Taman

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

We have a different situation where I am at present

Last few weeks not been able to observe anything due to heavy smoke pollution from surrounding bush fires

Current south east air stream pushing bush fire smoke from inland over coastal regions

John

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Welcome to SGL,  @Taman.   Are the skies dark there for astronomy? 

Hi Ouroboros, it's fairly dark at the back of the house and I don't use any light pollution filters. 🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Taman

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

We have a different situation where I am at present

Last few weeks not been able to observe anything due to heavy smoke pollution from surrounding bush fires

Current south east air stream pushing bush fire smoke from inland over coastal regions

John

Hi John, thanks for the welcome. Hope you are all safe down there.

13 minutes ago, Taman said:

Hi John, thanks for the welcome. Hope you are all safe down there.

Tks for your concerns

Lot of houses been destroyed in bush fires

Unfortunately also loss of live

Rural areas as so dry, and we have had no rain in almost 4 years

Farmers no water for crops and live stock

NASA has reviewed its statement on global warming as well, admit very real with carbon emissions upper atmosphere

We also going through solar minim as well, if you monitor our sun

There is an APP The Sun Now, which has images updated regularly from SDO

Also I keep a daily check on website WeatherZone, and tells us what sun is doing, solar winds

John

10 minutes ago, cletrac1922 said:

Tks for your concerns

Lot of houses been destroyed in bush fires

Unfortunately also loss of live

Rural areas as so dry, and we have had no rain in almost 4 years

Farmers no water for crops and live stock

NASA has reviewed its statement on global warming as well, admit very real with carbon emissions upper atmosphere

We also going through solar minim as well, if you monitor our sun

There is an APP The Sun Now, which has images updated regularly from SDO

Also I keep a daily check on website WeatherZone, and tells us what sun is doing, solar winds

John

It's a shame we can't swap weather occasionally. We have lots of low pressure systems at the moment, with wind and rain and very few clear nights.

I did not realise that the solar cycle affects the weather to that extent. I used to monitor solar conditions as part of my amateur radio hobby. Too much activity meant auroras and poor radio reception.

Tony.

Welcome to SGL. You live in a good location for stargazing. I've had some good sessions on holiday in Jersey - on the south west coast near Grouet in particular.

Have you been to the astronomy club there, they've got an observatory at Les Creux Millennium Park.

Edited by Paz

8 minutes ago, Paz said:

Welcome to SGL. You live in a good location for stargazing. I've had some good sessions on holiday in Jersey - on the south west coast near Grouet in particular.

Have you been to the astronomy club there, they've got an observatory at Les Creux Millennium Park.

Thanks Paz. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and you obviously had good weather! I think you mean Gronez, which is on the north coast? That is probably the darkest place in Jersey.

No, I've not been to the club yet, although I know Neil, the person who runs it.

1 hour ago, fozzybear said:

Hello Taman from just across the pond near Carteret. Welcome to SGL and enjoy

Regards

Andy

Hello Andy, I can probably see you on a good day!

Many years ago I used to go on day trips with the smaller Condor & Trident ferries to Portbail, which is just to the south of you.

Tony.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taman said:

It's a shame we can't swap weather occasionally. We have lots of low pressure systems at the moment, with wind and rain and very few clear nights.

I did not realise that the solar cycle affects the weather to that extent. I used to monitor solar conditions as part of my amateur radio hobby. Too much activity meant auroras and poor radio reception.

Tony.

Tony

Theory was when we have solar minimum, northern hemisphere can go into long term wet, even freeze, and southern hemisphere permanent drought

Global warning has turned that on its head, and latest from NASA  indicates now solar minimum only small factor

My previous should had been Spaceweather, not Weatherzone, which is an weather APP where I am

Link to Spaceweather https://www.spaceweather.com/  

NASA Climate change statement   https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2910/what-is-the-suns-role-in-climate-change/ 

John

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Taman said:

Thanks Paz. I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay and you obviously had good weather! I think you mean Gronez, which is on the north coast? That is probably the darkest place in Jersey.

No, I've not been to the club yet, although I know Neil, the person who runs it.

It's the south west corner, Google maps calls it Grouet, near  La Corbiere lighthouse.

It's not as far from St Heliers as you can go so not the darkest but I go there for the low southern horizon as it's always my best chance of the year to check out the dso's in Sagittarius.

9 hours ago, Paz said:

It's the south west corner, Google maps calls it Grouet, near  La Corbiere lighthouse.

It's not as far from St Heliers as you can go so not the darkest but I go there for the low southern horizon as it's always my best chance of the year to check out the dso's in Sagittarius.

Just had a quick look and yes, I know that area well. I didn't know the name of the road though!

There are not many places on the south coast that are truly dark and it's getting worse all the time. Even La Corbiere lighthouse has just had an LED upgrade. Not sure how that will impact the area.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Tony

Theory was when we have solar minimum, northern hemisphere can go into long term wet, even freeze, and southern hemisphere permanent drought

Global warning has turned that on its head, and latest from NASA  indicates now solar minimum only small factor

My previous should had been Spaceweather, not Weatherzone, which is an weather APP where I am

Link to Spaceweather https://www.spaceweather.com/  

NASA Climate change statement   https://climate.nasa.gov/blog/2910/what-is-the-suns-role-in-climate-change/ 

John

Thanks for the links John. Lots of interesting information.

Tony.

4 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Hello and welcome to SGL....

I hear you.. clouds and rain suck.... 

Thanks and yes they do!

I've been trying to fine tune a new mount that I bought in September. So far I've taken just 2 images with it.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...