NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Insulated trousers etc.?????

Alan White

Just noticed this thread, thought I would add my little thoughts. :smiley:

I can highly recommend these: https://www.militarymart.co.uk/british-army-reversable-insulated-trousers/

Second hand I know, but the pair I got was in very good condition, nothing a quick wash didn't sort out, just to be sure. You can also get the jacket to go with them. They are not at all waterproof, but that is not their purpose. They also have a zip at the bottom of the trouser, making them very, very easy to get on, even over boots. Add a pair of base layer trousers ( which would then make three layers, with your normal trousers, ) and Bob's your uncle. I think there are places online which sell them new, but I don't have the time to look at the moment. If its good enough for our army, should be good enough for the rest of us and at £16, they are hard to better. :smiley:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Just noticed this thread, thought I would add my little thoughts. :smiley:

I can highly recommend these: https://www.militarymart.co.uk/british-army-reversable-insulated-trousers/

Second hand I know, but the pair I got was in very good condition, nothing a quick wash didn't sort out, just to be sure. You can also get the jacket to go with them. They are not at all waterproof, but that is not their purpose. They also have a zip at the bottom of the trouser, making them very, very easy to get on, even over boots. Add a pair of base layer trousers ( which would then make three layers, with your normal trousers, ) and Bob's your uncle. I think there are places online which sell them new, but I don't have the time to look at the moment. If its good enough for our army, should be good enough for the rest of us and at £16, they are hard to better. :smiley:

Thank you, they looked so good I ordered a pair, the long zips is what won me over.
I will report back on how these work.

• Like 1

Should also mention I used my Astro Ski pants when we went to Iceland to see the Aurora - in February and they worked well there too, but I should mention that I put them on over the top of existing trousers, not on their own.  Never tried them on their own, so can't comment. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Thanks all who have made comments, very much appreciated. 👏 👍 😁

I hope the Army Surplus over trouser will work like the ski pants,
but with very long zips for ese over of boots and other clothes.

British Army reversible insulated trousers

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been using what I consider to be the game changer with cold weather gear in our hobby.  There's not a lot of moving around in what we do, and I when I get cold, I'm miserable.  As I approached my first winter a few years ago in my re-entry into astronomy, I stumbled across heated clothing.  I found a brand called Gerbing that makes heated liner clothing for motorcyclists... and with a suit that's interconnected and plugged in to the motorcycle's 12V "cigarette lighter" port.  I put one piece coveralls over it all to keep the heat in and I'm set.

So I got a 110V/220V transformer that outputs 12V DC and got the suit.  I can stay out all night in freezing temperatures and stay cozy warm under the stars.

Now, this stuff is a little spendy, but it's lasted me 5 years now with no issues and I expect the suit to last a long time.  As much as I hate the cold, it's the only way I can get out in the winter to stand around a telescope or lay on the ground to watch the Geminids.  I considered it an investment to allow my hobby to be possible year-round.

Check it out:

https://www.gerbing.com/how-it-works

Bill

• Like 2

I am just starting out in the world of astronomy, before I even think of buying any suitable clothing I am going to try some of my motorcycle gear.. I have textile jackets/trousers, waterproof, padded, removable liners for cooler/warmer, certainly wind proof, padded knees for kneeling... can't imagine how they won't do the job. It maybe something to think about... there is always plenty of cheap secondhand clothing for sale, not that it has to be expensive new but if you look around you can grab some really good bargains. Plus, generally textile trousers etc are not tight fitting so there is still room for thermals/leggings etc underneath and many styles are quite normal looking, besides maybe a slight glossy finish they can look just like padded cargo pants so won't look out of place where ever they are worn and ofc, seeing as they are made to be thrown down the road at *cough* 70 mph they are certainly durable. 

• Like 2

My next move towards comfortable winter nights under the stars may be an old sleeping bag to be used as an extra insulation over everything else. I intend to cut a hole where the feet are supposed to be, for the head. Then cut the length so I can walk around without stepping on it, and also cut two holes to allow for sticking out the arms. This should be very quick and easy to put on and off.

Ragnar

• Like 2

I looked at some clothing used by freezer workers a few years ago but have not anything about it as I do mainly imaging using Teamviewer.

However I have been to 2 star parties this year so might look again.

22 hours ago, lux eterna said:

I intend to cut a hole where the feet are supposed to be, for the head. Then cut the length so I can walk around without stepping on it, and also cut two holes to allow for sticking out the arms. This should be very quick and easy to put on and off.

No need to cut a normal sleeping bag, there is a solution ready made from the world of surplus: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-German-Sleeping-Sleeves-Removable/dp/B007JGBUPC

That is out of stock, but there is a variant available at Military Mart: https://www.militarymart.co.uk/austrian-sniper-sleeping-bag/

As long as you do not mind a used condition, it is hard to not take a punt at that price. I feel sure if you look around there will be other options too. :smiley:

• Like 1

Another tip particularly for keeping your feet warm is not to stand on concrete or paving flags. It makes a big difference if you put down some wood or layers of cardboard to stand on. Not sure what the technicalities are but it does work. I f anyone suffers from cold hands I suggest a pair of USB rechargeable hand warmers. My hands turn white in the cold an these are the only things that actually work and I have literally tried everything. If anyone needs details just PM me.

Edited by banjaxed

On 04/11/2019 at 20:01, Greymouser said:

No need to cut a normal sleeping bag, there is a solution ready made from the world of surplus: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-German-Sleeping-Sleeves-Removable/dp/B007JGBUPC

That is out of stock, but there is a variant available at Military Mart: https://www.militarymart.co.uk/austrian-sniper-sleeping-bag/

As long as you do not mind a used condition, it is hard to not take a punt at that price. I feel sure if you look around there will be other options too. :smiley:

81u6Y0dOA6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Looks like the legs are one, not two, so you will need to be practiced at the Sack Race.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1