NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hubble palette IC1805 Heart Nebula and Melotte 15

tooth_dr

I debated whether or not to post this, but given that it's my first SHO image, I thought it might be worthwhile.  This is crop from the large image.

I used the guide for adjusting colour in Steve's book (Dark Art or Magic Bullet) and it worked really well.  I'm always open to advice.  Please please post any observations that might need improving :D

Skywatcher ED80, 0.85x reducer, Atik 383L+ and QHY9M, EQ6.

Taken during the perio of 94-100% moon.

72 x 600s Ha

17 x 600s Oiii

18 x 600s Sii

Thanks for looking

Clear Skies

Adam.

IC1805-SHO-CROP-.thumb.jpg.1649bf7ebc41d4a6ec94ec605a5ae25b.jpg

Edited by tooth_dr
  • Like 27

1 hour ago, apophisOAS said:

Wonderful widefield image, well processed, do you ever vary sub lengths for different NB filters?

Roger

Thanks Roger. This is my first use of oiii and Sii in an image along with Ha so I just stuck with 10 minutes. I think I would change / go longer if the moon wasn’t out.   What’s the general consensus?

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks Roger. This is my first use of oiii and Sii in an image along with Ha so I just stuck with 10 minutes. I think I would change / go longer if the moon wasn’t out.   What’s the general consensus?

Generally unless you are shooting towards the moon NB should cope alright with it,

Roger

2 hours ago, apophisOAS said:

Generally unless you are shooting towards the moon NB should cope alright with it,

Roger

I meant with the sub lengths.  What’s the consensus on that in terms of weighting them? In an ideal world I wouldn’t be imaging in Oiii or Sii at all during a big moon

2 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Superb Adam..

And the reason you wasn't going to post was??

Superb..

Thanks 👍🏻 I kinda thought it was a bit rubbish, with a funky purple centre 😮 but I am my own worst critic at times. 

That's a great 1st SHO image.  Did you add Ha as a luminance?  That can really look nice--tends to bring out the details and resduce the nose.  .  Add in non linear state--just like adding a Lum lum.  Balance the histograms first.

Rodd

25 minutes ago, Rodd said:

That's a great 1st SHO image.  Did you add Ha as a luminance?  That can really look nice--tends to bring out the details and resduce the nose.  .  Add in non linear state--just like adding a Lum lum.  Balance the histograms first.

Rodd

Thanks Rodd, Ha was luminance, as well as the green channel.  I'll post the other colour channels later for a laugh.  I did a tonemapping processing where I removed the stars (badly) and then stetched the data a lot.

I think this looks great Adam, nevermind that it's your first full SHO image. 

I'm just looking on my phone, but i really like your colours. I see you've left some green in there, which I wholeheartedly agree with (to my eye I think it adds tonal depth) so nicely done 👌 I did the Heart myself a couple of years ago now, but only in bi-colour. Having 3 channels makes a big difference to the colours. 

For star removal, you should check out Starnet++. It's amazing how good a job it does, and it's so easy too. Virtually no spot healing is needed in PS afterwards. 

Edited by Xiga

On 17/09/2019 at 19:02, tooth_dr said:

I meant with the sub lengths.  What’s the consensus on that in terms of weighting them? In an ideal world I wouldn’t be imaging in Oiii or Sii at all during a big moon

Oh sorry i think from what i here cameras vary but generally more Ha(i double usually)than OIII etc and Gain has a lot to do with it on some cameras.

Basically trial and error!

Roger

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Astrosharkey said:

Adam,

looks great

Simon

Cheers Simon.  I got some Oiii and Sii last night on this with the moon a bit smaller, and will get some more Ha tonight.  I want to 'finish' this one before I move one.