Greetings from Belgium

Wouter1981

Hello, new here from one of the most lightpolluted countries in the world: Belgium. 
I recently restarted observing but lately I'm more and more having fun with adapting secondhand telescopes. That is also one of the reason I registered on this site. I'm already active on "cloudynights" but that's more populair in Northern America and I have the impression this forum is more European,, so it would be easier to find more secondhand items closeby.

Welcome to CN from your neighbor in Nederlands/Dordrecht-most light polluted country also.

I've solved this problem partially by putting CCD camera instead of eyepiece.

My EP's will go for sale I hope.

What city do you live?

1 hour ago, Nojus said:

Welcome to CN from your neighbor in Nederlands/Dordrecht-most light polluted country also.

I've solved this problem partially by putting CCD camera instead of eyepiece.

My EP's will go for sale I hope.

What city do you live?

I live in Melle, just next to Gent. I've also tried EEA to combat the lightpollution. Although I found it impressive, how on my first try I could see the orion nebula appear on my screen in color, but it just didn't do anything for me. For me it made about the same impact as a Hubble picture after a Google search. The same night I looked at the nebula with a 100mm refractor and although it couldn't come close to the details on my screen, I liked it much more. I have tried astrophotography, which I totally didn't like. And then the penny dropped. I just like to watch the skies. I don't care how much I see, or how detailed it is. Being alone in the dark and trying to grasp how big everything is. THAT is what I like.
And now I've found something new I like even more: rebuilding and improving (secondhand) telescopes:
My 102mm f5 has been adapted to be as small as possible. I replaced the focuser with a 2speed, bolted a dove tail directly to the tube. Removed a lip on the lensholder so the dewshield can slide up and down and repainted it. I still need to polish the dewshield. The telescope with a 2 inch diagonal, baader zoom with barlow, Maxvission 34mm and reddot now fits easily in a case which is only 46x33x15cm.
My second project is a polished and copperplated 102mm f10.

That's one of the great things about astronomy. There are so many different aspects, from naked eyeviewing to narrowband imaging. Grinding mirrors to studying astrophysics. Something for everybody.

rsz_dsc_0349.jpg

rsz_dsc_0162.jpg

rsz_dsc_0184.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived