SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tele Vue 85mm f/7 APO Refractor

FLO

A stunning scope that know doubt would survive many generations if careful use. Although, for 2k I'd honestly want around 100mm of aperture for similar quality. I mean, it's not like the average person wouldn't need to sell all other scopes to buy one of these perhaps? 

From what I've seen people can be happy with 100mm of aperture long term, so go on Televue! give us 100mm of aperture for 2k ;) 

(please don't take this the wring way, just having fun with a twist of truth)  

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

From what I've seen people can be happy with 100mm of aperture long term, so go on Televue! give us 100mm of aperture for 2k ;) 

(please don't take this the wring way, just having fun with a twist of truth)  

Tele Vue don't think like that. They don't manufacture to a price (the Chinese will always win that battle). They manufacture to a quality then set the price at whatever the price needs to be ? 

Steve 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FLO said:

Tele Vue don't think like that. They don't manufacture to a price (the Chinese will always win that battle). They manufacture to a quality then set the price at whatever the price needs to be ? 

Steve 

Steve, just as a matter of interest how much would the complete set up cost as described in Ray’s video? 

PS - I’m not in a position to buy as SWIMBO might have something to say ?

16 minutes ago, FLO said:

Steve 

Well put, Steve. I don't own a single Tele Vue product these days, but if money was no object at all of course I might be tempted.

But you are right, the market is broadly in two parts- manufactured to a quality level, think TV, Takahashi, Lzos, TEC, Pentax Vixen, etc and then almost everything else, Synta/Celestron, Bresser/Meade, and various "house brands" et al to a price.

Perhaps a couple of companies seem to straddle both ends, Baader, for example who are innovative but get under most top end prices, and Explore Scientific who seem to almost clone some of the top end makers gear at much lower prices.

I for one hope there will always be room in the market for companies such as Tele Vue?

Dave

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Steve, just as a matter of interest how much would the complete set up cost as described in Ray’s video? 

The telescope, mount, tripod, diagonal, eyepiece & clamshell total £3,335. 

tele-vue_panoramic_alt-az_mount_4_sgl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

It is fair to say Tele Vue telescopes will never be mass-market products. The person who buys one is normally an experienced astronomer who has already tried a number of other brands so knows what he/she wants. They are keepers. They rarely appear on the secondhand market. 

We shall increase our range of Tele Vue telescopes over time. We have started with the favourite, the Tele Vue 85. 

Steve 

• Like 1

There is never a subsitute for Class. Ray did a good job in the video.                                               
I sure need a Lottery win to step into this league.?
Ron.

Edited by barkis
  • Like 1

My TeleVue Ranger is 21 years old this year, (purchased during July 1998), and it still is a quality 'scope...

TV_RANGER_G.JPG.4b2dd28ba1bed30aae47119698858f49.JPG

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

...and I finally got round to using my 'new' 13mm Nagler/type 6 with it a few nights ago.

The differences are, the Ranger is 480mm/70mm @ f:6.85 and has 1.25" draw tube and helical focus. Despite its age It still oozes quality. ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Philip R said:

My TeleVue Ranger is 21 years old this year, (purchased during July 1998), and it still is a quality 'scope...

TV_RANGER_G.JPG.4b2dd28ba1bed30aae47119698858f49.JPG

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

...and I finally got round to using my 'new' 13mm Nagler/type 6 with it a few nights ago.

The differences are, the Ranger is 480mm/70mm @ f:6.85 and has 1.25" draw tube and helical focus. Despite its age It still oozes quality. ?

Looks to me as pristine as the day you bought it.
Lovely looking instrument.  Very nice, and probably provides you with some nice memories too.
Ron.

• Thanks 1

Having owned a TV85, 76 and now on my 3rd Genesis, I agree they are lovely scopes. Optically I think the 85 was the nicest out of these, I have the Genesis for its lovely flat wide field views. Heirlooms they are, in the best sense of the word, beautifully machined and put together and as wonderful just to own and look at as look through!

11 hours ago, FLO said:

We noticed Ray at Simplified Astro has posted a video detailing his experience with the Tele Vue 85mm f/7 APO Refractor ? 

It is difficult to convey premium engineering in a website product description, this is a shame because when you handle a TV85 it oozes quality. I think you can sense that in his video

Very informative video, really conveys the quality of the scope, which I have always been curious about. Looking forward to the other two vids showing the scope in use. 

Now if only Televue manufactured replacement eyeballs, I might be able to appreciate the views through this lovely scope. 

12 hours ago, barkis said:

Looks to me as pristine as the day you bought it.
Lovely looking instrument.  Very nice, and probably provides you with some nice memories too.
Ron.

Thank you so much @barkis.

This was and is my first 'real' astro-'scope, (i.e. the Ranger), and is a definate keeper. I used to see them advertised in S&T and I used to say to myself ,"I want one." Also very aircraft friendly, though the check-in agents at LGW thought different when I took it to VAR for the 1999 solar eclipse as my 'carry on' allowance. The tripod + head & 2x 35mm SLR's + lenses were in the suitcase.

After watching the video review, it looks to me as if TeleVue have re-styled/re-tooled the objective cell and focus/drawtube end, (see image below). That said, both TV85's are fine looking 'scopes to own and dream about and I would not turn either down if I was offered both for free and attached to my Giro mount side-by-side.

514895485_TV85_new__old.jpg.008ba72667f29c52ce3137ec7ad1e13a.jpg

TV85... 'new' (left) & 'old' (right).  

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, FLO said:

Steve 

I see your point, and there must off course be a market for all levels of fit , finish and optics. I just can't help wondering what the real difference in quality is between the TV 85mm and say the Tak FS100, considering they are both pretty much the same price, neither come with many extras, and they are both supposed to be premium scopes. 

Tak and APM etc are what I had in mind when I made my previous statement. Are the Televue's a step up in quality from the Tak's in other words? I've owned the Tak fs60 and it was built like a tank with flawless optics for it's aperture. 

10 minutes ago, Lockie said:

I see your point, and there must off course be a market for all levels of fit , finish and optics. I just can't help wondering what the real difference in quality is between the TV 85mm and say the Tak FS100, considering they are both pretty much the same price, neither come with many extras, and they are both supposed to be premium scopes. 

Tak and APM etc are what I had in mind when I made my previous statement. Are the Televue's a step up in quality from the Tak's in other words? I've owned the Tak fs60 and it was built like a tank with flawless optics for it's aperture. 

I think they are different propositions Chris. Having owned both a TV85 and an FC100, the 85 feels like it is hewn out of a solid piece of metal compared with the comparatively lightweight elegance of the Tak. The focuser on the 85 is, in my opinion, much better than the standard Tak focuser. I did add a micro focuser to mine but the fundamentals of the drawer tube and rack and pinion as buttery smooth and accurate. I think they now come with a dual speed focuser.

The 85 is compact enough to go in carry on luggage easily but the FC100 needs removal of the focuser and dew shield to fit.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think they are different propositions Chris. Having owned both a TV85 and an FC100, the 85 feels like it is hewn out of a solid piece of metal compared with the comparatively lightweight elegance of the Tak. The focuser on the 85 is, in my opinion, much better than the standard Tak focuser. I did add a micro focuser to mine but the fundamentals of the drawer tube and rack and pinion as buttery smooth and accurate. I think they now come with a dual speed focuser.

The 85 is compact enough to go in carry on luggage easily but the FC100 needs removal of the focuser and dew shield to fit.

I know you've owned both so appreciate the answer, Stu. Good point regarding the focuser, I must admit I wasn't a fan regarding the stock focuser on the FS60, and the TV focuser did look better on the video. Optically though, what are your thoughts. I'd guess it's too close to tell?

Thinking about it, by the time you've bought say a Tak 76 and stuck a feather touch on it, it must be getting on for the price of the TV85, and the Tak would have even less aperture. 

13 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Optically though, what are your thoughts. I'd guess it's too close to tell?

Thinking about it, by the time you've bought say a Tak 76 and stuck a feather touch on it, it must be getting on for the price of the TV85, and the Tak would have even less aperture

I've said elsewhere that I think Tak optics are a smidge above Televue, and think that is a view held fairly widely. I found the Tak 76 to be sharper than the TV76 for instance. That said, aperture counts as much at this end as with big dobs, and 85mm is not a size offered by Tak as a visual targeted scope, so the TV85 still represents a highly desirable option. It is more compact than the FC100 but has more aperture than an FC-76 and still with very nice optics. I know Gavstar rates his 85 very highly.

• Like 3