SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tele Vue 85mm f/7 APO Refractor

FLO

3 hours ago, Stu said:

I've said elsewhere that I think Tak optics are a smidge above Televue, and think that is a view held fairly widely. I found the Tak 76 to be sharper than the TV76 for instance. That said, aperture counts as much at this end as with big dobs, and 85mm is not a size offered by Tak as a visual targeted scope, so the TV85 still represents a highly desirable option. It is more compact than the FC100 but has more aperture than an FC-76 and still with very nice optics. I know Gavstar rates his 85 very highly.

Yes I really like my TV85. It was my first refractor and I’ve had some great observing sessions with it such as some lovely views of Mars’ polar ice cap last year in Tenerife. It’s very well suited for travelling abroad with.

One of my aims this year is to do more lunar observing, rather than just concentrate on DSOs. I think the 85mm to 95mm size is a sweet spot for grab and go refractors having enough aperture to show good planetary/lunar detail whilst also giving nice wide field views and being easy to mount on something like an az gti.

Over the next few months I’m hoping to do a quadruple test of the tv85 versus the Takahashi FC100DF, 92mm Astro Physics Stowaway and 95mm Baader travel companion. Maybe some of my fellow Walton Astro club members can also have a compare and give their opinion? My tv85 will have a glass and aperture disadvantage against these, but I have a feeling it will hold up well. The moon and tight doubles will be my test objects.

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I've said elsewhere that I think Tak optics are a smidge above Televue, and think that is a view held fairly widely. I found the Tak 76 to be sharper than the TV76 for instance. That said, aperture counts as much at this end as with big dobs, and 85mm is not a size offered by Tak as a visual targeted scope, so the TV85 still represents a highly desirable option. It is more compact than the FC100 but has more aperture than an FC-76 and still with very nice optics. I know Gavstar rates his 85 very highly.

Shame they're not quite as sharp as the Tak's, but I've got to agree the 85mm does fit very nicely between the Tak FS76 and FS100.  I do see the logic in the TV85 now, it does seem to have a nicer focuser than the Tak, and an aperture that Takahashi doesn't cover. So as you say, it might be the most aperture someone finds portable. 

I've tried a number of different ED scopes from Synta to Tak, but never tried anything other than TV Nagler and Plossl eyepieces, so it's good to hear from someone who has tried all the former and the later! 

Last question, promise. If the TV isn't quite optically upto the the Tak, how does it fair against the Synta ED offerings? Would you say the TV is still ahead enough to be worth while? I'm aware of diminishing returns, just that when I had my little Tak the image was so pure and sharp right upto high mags, so I could clearly see the difference between the Skywatcher's and Celestron ED's and the Tak. I just wondered if it was still a similar story for the TV?  

8 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Over the next few months I’m hoping to do a quadruple test of the tv85 versus the Takahashi FC100DF, 92mm Stowaway and 95mm baader travel companion. My tv85 will have a glass and aperture disadvantage against these, but I have a feeling it will hold up well. The moon and tight doubles will be my test objects.

The results of that test would no doubt make very interesting reading. I hope you get the chance to do it :) 

• Like 2

I've owned and used many Tele Vue eyepieces and other accessories but only one of their refractors - the old Ranger 70mm that I picked up pre-owned last yet. That one is clearly a quality scope and built to last a lifetime so I imagine that the refractors further up the price scale will be even more reassuringly well put together. Ray's movie certainly indicates this to be the case :smiley:

• Like 1

While it is correct that TV does not compete on price, surely it competes with premium brands, just like Audi, BMW and Mercedes compete. At the moment, TV85 is priced between FC 100 DC and FC 100 DF. TV has 15mm of aperture less and is one carrying case in the plus.

• Like 1

I don't think that the TeleVue ethos (defining term, not the product), is necessarily concerned as specifically competing, as it is concerning the companies approach to progressive innovation. Chunky and cherished are two words that immediately for myself define the TV85. It is such a versatile instrument, one evening on lunar, another evening wide field DSO'S, recent captivating memories include Schroters Valley and the Double Cluster respectively.     

• Like 4

On 23/02/2019 at 11:55, GavStar said:

Over the next few months I’m hoping to do a quadruple test of the tv85 versus the Takahashi FC100DF, 92mm Astro Physics Stowaway and 95mm Baader travel companion. Maybe some of my fellow Walton Astro club members can also have a compare and give their opinion? My tv85 will have a glass and aperture disadvantage against these, but I have a feeling it will hold up well. The moon and tight doubles will be my test objects.

On 23/02/2019 at 12:06, Lockie said:

The results of that test would no doubt make very interesting reading. I hope you get the chance to do it :) 

+1

I'd be very interested in your thoughts with these 4.

Have you had much chance to get out and about with the Baader TC 95 ??

• 2 months later...
Guest chaz2b

I have been lucky as I was bequeathed a TV 102 with all the bells and whistles!

Though the TV85 looks sooooo tempting, I bought last year, the TV70 Pronto in mint condition (see pic).

The focuser is super smooth so won’t change it, but I have a Feathlight dual speed focuser which I will see if it fits the TV102.

Then there’s the Astro-Tech 90 mm triplet APO, I use my TV binos , diagonal and plossls with this and the views are just as outstanding. Until I have seen first hand what the TV85 delivers, I really don’t need to change that set up, but I will join in the chorus that Tele-Vue is special.

chaz

you could take it out and just cuddle it.?

D766ADB1-18FB-41BB-8BEA-1FED3D236E70.jpeg

Edited by chaz2b