Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hey im just in the brink of buying my accessorie set! I m just wonder if i should buy a 8MM BST STARGUIDER eyepiece or not.

I m going to be seeing planets as well as planetary , emission and other nebula. So is it worth it? it will give me a x150 And 300X (barlowed)magnification

I dont think i ll be able to use the 300x too much as it will get blurry.

BTW how blurry does it get

The 8mm is another 50 bucks so thats quite a lot for me(14 years old )

Just want to know if its worth it!

PM me your address. I'll send you my 8mm BST Starguider that is redundant in my collection (it's kind of new - a customer return from skiesthelimit - I bid on it on ebay a few weeks ago ). I will gladly help you out - nice to see young people getting interest in astronomy!

x150 will be well worth it. x300 depends on your telescope - aha I see 8in dob - x300 might be useful sometimes.

12 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

There are many approaches to equipment selection and I prefer zooms and own three of them Honestly if it were me I'd get the Badder zoom/barlow and a nice widefield eyepiece as a finder and DSO observing. You can then "catch" the seeing on lunar/planetary and also view objects that like to have stars out of the FOV such as the Flame neb (no filter). Planetaries can take lots of mag and the zoom with accommodate this.

Sorry to offer conflicting advice but this is my experience.

I think the BST 8mm starguider is probably the most recommended EP on SGL.  The jury seems divided on the merits of zooms - some seem to think they are indispensable other's don't rate them.  However @Kronos831 has a lovely offer above and I see no reason why they should take that up.  

2 hours ago, heliumstar said:

PM me your address. I'll send you my 8mm BST Starguider that is redundant in my collection (it's kind of new - a customer return from skiesthelimit - I bid on it on ebay a few weeks ago ). I will gladly help you out - nice to see young people getting interest in astronomy!

x150 will be well worth it. x300 depends on your telescope - aha I see 8in dob - x300 might be useful sometimes.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank heliumstar for his generous offer, i was hesitant at first due to u know "sTrangEr ddàaaanger" i hope this isnt the case.(i also have thanatophobeia so thats not really helping)But now i sent him ths message and hope he replies soon!

Thanks heliumstar

Kronos831 : replied back. Perfectly understandable for you being cautious. Rest assured, only true intentions. It is a part of the hobby to spread the knowledge and equipment. Hope you can do the same in 20 years time ;)

Will pack it up and hope you receive it quickly!

5 hours ago, Kronos831 said:

Hey im just in the brink of buying my accessorie set! I m just wonder if i should buy a 8MM BST STARGUIDER eyepiece or not.

I m going to be seeing planets as well as planetary , emission and other nebula. So is it worth it? it will give me a x150 And 300X (barlowed)magnification

I dont think i ll be able to use the 300x too much as it will get blurry.

BTW how blurry does it get

The 8mm is another 50 bucks so thats quite a lot for me(14 years old )

The 8mm and 12mm of said brand are said to be the best; or, the most popular at least. 

As you go up in power, the telescope has to work harder.  If the primary-mirror is well-figured, and the entire optical system is well-collimated, you can, in theory, reach 400x on nights of better-than-average seeing conditions, especially on the Moon.  Most nights, however, 200x is going to be about the practical limit.  But there will be those special nights now and again.

I have an F6 8" Reflector (a Skywatcher 200P).  Under UK skies that are never brilliant I am lucky if I can get to x240 (5mm for me and I have a Pentax 5mm EP so a good one) let alone beyond it and then it's very object dependent.  Moon @ x240 - yes, double stars @ x240 - yes, planets @ x240 yes, if the seeing is good - Jupiter is better at less - smaller but sharper, Nebulas - these seem to not be bright enough at x240, globular clusters - depends on seeing - if it's excellent then just about at x240.  I did once own a 4mm and never got anything decent from it.  

I know you are in a much different location, but in the UK my 8" doesn't like anything much above x240 - my 5mm EP.

edit: FWIW, SGL is probably a safe place to take up an offer from an internet 'stranger', many of the members here do newcomers favours with offers of gear, often cheap and sometimes free.  Many of the forum members meet at events or know each other through other clubs.  I am sure the offer of the EP would have been leapt upon by the mods in about 2 mins if it had been thought sinister in any way.  I am a parent and you are correct to be concerned it is an attitude I applaud, esp. In this instance as it will involve an address exchange.  It is entirely correct that you question it, but I think in this instance you will be OK.  By all means ask your parents though and maybe exchange a PM with a mod. Just to see what they say, but, as noted above, this seems a genuine place and something for nothing on a completely altruistic basis does happen here from time to time.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody, the eyepiece just arrived,.It was Well packaged and in good condition, the eyepieces that came with my scope are by no means anywhere close to the quality of this eyepiece.A big thanks to Heliumstar! Honestly i really appreciated your kind gesture as 55 euros isn’t cheap! Cant wait for my 8”Dob to arrive to test the eyepiece.

Again, thanks a lot Heliumstar.

Clear skies everyone.

Kronos

Archived