Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

If the OP's seeing conditions in Greece are similar to Florida's, he could very easily hit high power, but he might need a bigger telescope.  Here in Texas, when the skies are calm, 300x in my 15 inch is quite stable and usable and very similar to half that power in my 8 inch thanks to the exit pupil being about the same.

So guys,what do you think i should do?6 or 7mm eyepiece?(btw today nice 300x on the moon)

Edited by Kronos831

When I had my 8" F5 scope the best views of Jupiter and Saturn where with my 8mm BST x125 anything higher was watery.

Wow! I take it all back.

I did say I'd only managed it once.

Out last night enjoying the moon.

The 6mm and the 2x barlow in the 8" were fantastic.

No problem with my eyelashes this time and little visible dust but the floaters were in evidence.

The conditions were almost perfect, there was the odd ripple across the surface of the moon.

I tried the 5mm and the 2x barlow (480x) and that too was surprisingly clear and steady.

The floaters do seem to have a mind of their own as they worsened as time went by and seemed to congregate in the centre of my vision.

I suppose that's why they call it a theoretical limit!

On the moon, at least, I've been able to push it as far as my eye pieces would allow me.

A very enjoyable evening and at a clarity I didn't think possible.

I know that doesn't help much with your decision, but I still rate the WO 6mm SPL very highly.

• Like 1

I did have a view at around x400 in my 210mm last night with binoviewers and the quality was hanging in there. Amazing views. Binoviewers do help with floaters though.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Hi, i have made a video where i show a coople of eyepieces that i use and like, and also show how a barlow works, compared to the "Powermate" from Televue. And how is the FOV affected when changing the magnification with different eyepieces?

Feel free to comment and give me feedback - I hope you like the video!
      /Daniel

• By astronomer2002
      I am looking for a Vixen HR 3.4mm eyepiece. I have a 2.4 and it is great on a good night, but usually a bit too much power for my FLT132.
      Is there a chance you have one that you don't use?

Thanks for looking

Ian B
    • By AstroRuz
      For sale is my beloved but now superfluous to requirements HEQ5 Pro for £700
      It's in a used condition as you would imagine. I've had it for about 4 years and found great success with this mount. Ideal for those beginning astrophotography and also good for visual users.
      I'm calling it "deluxe" due to the upgrades I've had done.
      - It's belt modified
      - It's had brand new bearings and grease
      - The backlash has been expertly setup 
      - It has the latest polar scope
      - The power port has been replaced with an aviation style port which is a lot more secure
      It'll come with the hand controller and at least 1 counterweight (if I can find the second it'll come with both). The polar scope cover has been lost. The counterweight is rusty as always. There is some marring on the counterweight bar housing as shown in the photos.
      It also will come with the modified power cable required also.
      Note: the power LED sometimes doesn't illuminate but the mount is still powered (please see the photo with the hand controller).
      Collection or local delivery within Northampton

• By peter12
      Gt my telescope based on recommendations here years ago. Its getting dusty though.
      Really just want to see as many planets in solar system as possible please. I read plenty but its too much to remember sorry. Struggled just looking at the moon
      Most things said barlows are a stepping stone.
      Can someone point out an eye piece on first light optics or something similar in UK please. Its for me and my 6 year old space obsessed son.
      Also a polarising filter if there worth it. Is a collimater cap as easy as a laser? I wont get round to making one so ill buy.
      Last step would then be plumbers tape on the eyepiece threads right?
      Thanks 
    • By Spacecake2
      Hello,
      I know you've seen these questions a lot (unless your new) but I'm struggling a lot on if I should buy a Skywatcher 250px (10") or 200px (8") (dobsonians). I have a 5 inch and i'm looking for a big step up for noticeable changes. 
      Thank you 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.