SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Dobhouse Is Finished!

cloudsweeper

The shed came last week, and after a downpour, I found it leaked.  I know opinions differ on this, but I was stuck with it, so decided to take the necessary steps.

# Bitumen paint all around the roof boards.

# Weatherproof paint all round the rest.

# Silicone sealant round all potential gaps.

# Gutter and water butt fitted.

# Power connected, plus security bar, and various fittings made and put in place.

NOW it's a suitable home for the Dob (which really was too much to keep in the house).

Recent rain was thoroughly repelled, and last night, I operated out of the Dobhouse.  It was a real delight of convenience and comfort.  Saw a few nice sights before clouds rolled in, but I am looking forward to great sessions ahead!

Doug.

P1060402.JPG

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

The shed came last week, and after a downpour, I found it leaked.  I know opinions differ on this, but I was stuck with it, so decided to take the necessary steps.

# Power connected, plus security bar, and various fittings made and put in place.

NOW it's a suitable home for the Dob (which really was too much to keep in the house).

Recent rain was thoroughly repelled, and last night, I operated out of the Dobhouse.  It was a real delight of convenience and comfort.  Saw a few nice sights before clouds rolled in, but I am looking forward to great sessions ahead!

Doug.

P1060402.JPG

Quite excellent Doug, love it !

43 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Doug.

P1060402.JPG

Excellent work Doug. Don’t forget to put some nets up at the window so nosey burgers can’t see in too easily to see if there is anything that is worth purloining!

28 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Excellent work Doug. Don’t forget to put some nets up at the window so nosey burgers can’t see in too easily to see if there is anything that is worth purloining!

Thought you were referring to mosquitos the first time I read that! :D

That's one nice obsy! ?

John

Great refurb of the Dob House. Nothing better than opening up, getting the scope out and observing at the drop of a hat. Simple to re-house the scope and lock up when the clouds roll in, or if you're lucky when it's getting light.

Steve

Lovely job Doug, looks great. Pop a seat in the there and you can have a quick knap if it clouds over or you are waiting for a target to appear ;)

Will you put any form of dehumidifier or fan in there just to avoid any moisture settling?

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely job Doug, looks great. Pop a seat in the there and you can have a quick knap if it clouds over or you are waiting for a target to appear ;)

Will you put any form of dehumidifier or fan in there just to avoid any moisture settling?

Thanks, Stu!  I'll see how it goes re moisture - hopefully natural ventilation will suffice. 

Now where can I find a spare comfy seat?  ?

Doug.

26 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Thanks, Stu!  I'll see how it goes re moisture - hopefully natural ventilation will suffice. 

Now where can I find a spare comfy seat?  ?

Doug.

Yes,I guess it depends how well you sealed it up! :)

It is difficult to examine your security measures from the photograph.

Nor do we know how prone your locality is to break-ins.

The vulnerability of any enclosed space to the evil, crawling scum is difficult to determine from a distance.

Make sure that no padlock or its hasp or loop is reachable with a bolt cutter, lever or crowbar. Nor cold spray.

I like mechanical covers for padlocks because they prevent access to the highly vulnerable padlock.

Check that no security screws are accessible to any driver.  External strap hinges? Wood screws? Really?

Use stainless steel coach screws with domed heads, square shanks in square holes in the hinges and Nyloc nuts and oversized washers inside.

Check that doors and windows can't be lifted off the hinges with a crowbar.

That windows are covered internally in galvanized or stainless steel mesh with externally inaccessible fixings.

If you can remove the mesh from the inside of a large enough window you are probably safe from being locked in.

I like roller micro-switches on doors and screeching 110dB piezo alarms in addition to all the other measures.

Their contacts can be arranged not to draw any current when the door is normally closed.

Guess who thought his own rural workshop was secure with a humble padlock and hasp?

Guess who lost all his his electric tools and other vital stuff?

I was extremely lucky not to have lost customer's irreplaceable property in for repair. 

My insurance company wasn't interested.

Check outbuildings are fully covered and have them confirm what is covered in writing.

3 hours ago, Gina said:

Too much obvious security advertises that the shed contains valuable items.

Yes, Gina - reckon I've done enough!

Doug.

55 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

@cloudsweeper excellent. That really looks the business. What paint did you use? I'm about to re-paint my astro shed. I've always used wood stain for fences/sheds, which is fine but after a year or two needs doing again. Yours looks more durable. 

Thanks!  I used Cuprinol Garden Shades - they recommend two coats (at least), same day.  Very easy to apply.  Said to be OK for six years, but I'll probably put on more after maybe three or four.

Doug.

7 hours ago, Gina said:

Too much obvious security advertises that the shed contains valuable items.

A break-in is for life. Not just their early free Christmas.

I don't have damned great steel straps across my shed doors advertising my free gift shop.

My security is either invisible or subtle and multi-layered.

It is based on the lifetime paranoia of constantly fearing another break-in.

Insurance will never replace a lifetime's lost peace of mind.

The damage is permanent.

I went for the more subtle security approach. High security police and insurance approved steel shed with five point locking on the door and pickproof lock. Clean and simple looking and it’s not until you get up close that you realise just how heavily built it is. Also has a built in ventilation system that keeps in dry all the time. Never gets damp inside. The downside £££££.

5EA6102D-1C9E-4E0A-BDD3-3441E1627677.jpeg

Nice, John - but yes, the cost!  Mine does have ventilation - a small gap behind the roof boards.  It's now rainproof too.  The shedbar is just an upgrade on the puny hasp it came with - quite a common fitting, and nothing to draw too much attention.  You can only do so much - que sera sera - I don't intend getting over-worried!  ?

Doug.

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A nice looking Dob-house indeed  Doug, very smart.
I hanker for a Scope-house too, but security worries me a lot.

That secure shed of Johns looks rather nice too, what make is it John?

It’s by Asgard. This is the one I have. 

http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/metal-shed-the-gladiator

Archived