NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PVC Dome

toxic

had to replace the ply dome and needed something that was UV resistant so after a lot of research i opted for external uPVC, it took a lot of head scratching on how to build it i.

i ended up using pvc (solvent type) wast pipe and a hot air gun to bend it into shape and then glue'd it all together to make the frame. i made it to the same width as the old dome but made it a bit higher.

then i glue'd the pvc trim to the frame and then cut and bent the the pvc soffit board to fit. and used garage door draught  excluder (50mm brush type) i replaced the small casters in the photo and re-used the old runners, it took me about 5 days to build it and work it all out.

i allso replaced the temp pvc top roof sliders with 22mm copper pipe.

frame-1.tif

frame-2.tif

IMG_20180704_122347.jpg

IMG_20180705_161131.jpg

IMG_20180705_171148.jpg

IMG_20180705_171213.jpg

IMG_20180707_203156.jpg

IMG_20180707_203301.jpg

IMG_20180710_084021.jpg

IMG_20180710_142226.jpg

IMG_20180710_142240.jpg

IMG_20180712_195936.jpg

IMG_20180712_200053.jpg

IMG_20180719_081537.jpg

2 hours ago, toxic said:

it took a lot of head scratching on how to build it i.

And looks like you have sorted it, well good and proper ! 

I was toying with an idea, similar materials, different project  ( PVC pipe and thin ply for the cabin walls -  Cessna ? )
I've thought of a dome in the past, but wasn't really sure how well a PVC constructed dome would fare outside up here with sub-zero temperatures  that we often endure during my winter.
I have a Keter plastic shed, which has survived everything so far, so a double walled PVC construction should suffice, as long as its water tight , thats all I need, and sat on the ground ( my scope does not need much height or any walls at all )  a dome head like yours might better shield some of the stray light in my back. garden.

ps. When you delivering to my house for a trial? I'll even take you  sight seeing to Loch Ness and Glenfidich for a wee dram ( or a bottle)  for your effort !!!!!! Gotta be this week only? Holiday! ? 

pps. Did you improvise that street light shield in the background?

7 hours ago, Charic said:

ps. When you delivering to my house for a trial? I'll even take you  sight seeing to Loch Ness and Glenfidich for a wee dram ( or a bottle)  for your effort !!!!!! Gotta be this week only? Holiday! ? 

pps. Did you improvise that street light shield in the background?

thanks Charic

it started out as great fun then not so much as my head was hurting then it became fun again when it was finished and yes it is my own design for a street light shade and it works great just. just made a bracket to fit the lamp post and bolted it to it so that it could slide up the pole with a little effort as it was a bit tight and pushed it up with a long lat. i wish i could do the same for the light across the road but not possible.

28 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I'm just in the process of cladding the external walls of our smaller observatories with the same material. Excellent stuff to work with and very reasonably priced.  ?

it is very strong stuff and its a lot cheaper than buying one  it cost just under £200 for every thing for the dome.

Archived