Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Smorgasbord from last night

Knighty2112

A smorgasbord of images from last night; Jupiter, Venus, the Moon & Saturn. Jupiter kept getting weird artifacts in it after stacking as the sky was still light, so eventually worked out a way to stop it. Anyhoo, all images taken with my C8 SCT, with ASI 120 mc camera, with ADC fitted. Captured with Firecapture (first time used really, use Sharpcap normally, but seems to give better results so far anyway), and processed through Registax & then PS.

Jupiter & moons;

Jupiter_213403_24_06_2018.thumb.png.77f109c996de5bc489d4f152dfd437dd.png

Saturn;

1st_Saturn_233702_24_06_2018_Crop.thumb.png.db0e99bfcf75377a5e6aadd5a9372029.png

Venus;

Venus_213931_24_06_2018.thumb.png.88958128e540acf2156a6706adbc41d0.png

Alpine Valley;

Moon_215759_Crop_24_06_2018_Alpine_Valley.thumb.png.3c50fcc2de0ed6d400a7b75ca1a779b4.png

Mare Frigoris area and Plato;

Moon_215914_24_06_2018.thumb.png.5ef6bcf567b6068014ec68966fe4850b.png

Ta for looking! :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tooth_dr said:

Cracking set! Plenty of detail in the two big planets. 

Thanks! Yes, Jupiter and Saturn came out well. Could see visually before I imaged them that the seeing was pretty steady and clear, so hence the good images. Jupiter took around 7 attempts to come out in any acceptable form really. Not sure why but think the light sky didn’t help in the stacking process. Eventually figured away around it, but to be honest I’m finding processing is an art rather that a science! 

19 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

... to be honest I’m finding processing is an art rather that a science! 

I agree! I can stack the same thing several times and get different results for no reason ?

Great set, Gus! You got the fever, haha. You are so right about AP being an art rather than a science. Like tooth_dr I have processed the same thing more than once and have gotten different results. The inverse of insanity or no, lol!

Reggie

1 hour ago, Craney said:

A very fine Jupiter.

Ta! Took a few attempts to get it looking good. First few attempts the planet looked reasonably OK, but the dark background looked like about 7 tectonic plates colliding around Jupiter! 

1 hour ago, orion25 said:

Great set, Gus! You got the fever, haha. You are so right about AP being an art rather than a science. Like tooth_dr I have processed the same thing more than once and have gotten different results. The inverse of insanity or no, lol!

Reggie

Thanks Reggie. Yes, I’m starting to think more about imaging opportunities now than just purely visual ones! AP certainly does seem to be a dark art! 

Really like that Jupiter image. It really captures the feeling of looking through the eyepiece at it for some reason. Scrolling down and looking at it made me feel like when I find it for the first time during twilight and realise the seeing is going to be great. Very captivating. 

40 minutes ago, Jimtheslim said:

Really like that Jupiter image. It really captures the feeling of looking through the eyepiece at it for some reason. Scrolling down and looking at it made me feel like when I find it for the first time during twilight and realise the seeing is going to be great. Very captivating. 

Thanks! I really try to keep my images with the same view as what I see it through my scope. I think this image of Jupiter captures that pretty well. The Saturn image I got the saturation a little too heavy, so that one looks less natural to me, so I’ll most likely rework that one to get the balance right hopefully. 

It's still a decent image of saturn. Large, textbook like images of Jupiter are of course brilliant, but when they fill the whole image you loose a sense of distance and context which you manage to capture so well with that image. However you still get a lot of detail which I think is what makes it so good for me

Archived