NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

UK Astro Ads website endures!

Milamber

Many of you will already be aware of the UK Astro Ads site, the pedigree of which goes way back to almost the beginning of time, (well, 10 years or so), when Chris Heapy first started a text-based classified advertising service on his personal website. Three years ago it became clear that the amount of work involved was too much and, having another life, Chris decided to shut down the service and move on. Following on from an outcry of dismay from amateurs everywhere, Chris allowed Tommi Worton to take over and carry the UK Astro Ads flag forwards using an SMF-based website.

Last month, Tommi in turn decided that, among other reasons, the expense and commitment were beginning to eat into his own private life, and so he in turn decided to move on. Here is where I came in, having been dragooned into the Admin team last year as a favour to Tommi. I was not prepared to see the website disappear and leave amateur astronomers stranded with little or no marketplace for their trading/buying/selling - indeed I myself on rare occasions have been known to dabble a little in the upgrade/retrade system, surprising though that may seem, and would miss the resource...

To cut a longer story short then, I have agreed with Tommi to take up the gauntlet and ensure that UK Astro Ads moves onwards and upwards and remains a place where UK, European and Worldwide amateur astronomers can trade with each other in an environment of friendship and light-heartedness. The ethos of the site will remain unchanged, as will the Admin team. Registration is simple, free and usually almost instant and you will be most welcome to join up. No charges, for either private or commercial/retail members will ever be made - nor ever have been - consider it a present to the astronomy community from my "other" posting persona here on SGL.

Remember though that whilst the (new look!) website uses a forum-based interface it is primarily for buying and selling astronomy-related items and not for general astro discussions. Such things are and will remain the domain of SGL (and the other sites...).

Please feel free come over and have a peek when you get a moment, you never know - you may like it after all!

UK Astro Ads re-born!

Arthur

Sorry - that's the standard SMF thing, about once a month we get hit by the web-bots and spammers so we have rather tight-ish security... as have all SMF sites these days, just something we have to live with I am afraid

Arthur

PS - you're approved :undecided:

PPS - we are only on Medium security setting!

Whats happened to all the old ads?

Well, you know those bot attacks I mentioned? The site got hit a couple of weeks ago and I'm not too sure what went down but we lost everything older than 30 days - the SMF security updates were behind a bit for one thing... A shame since the old ads were a resource in themselves but we have to move onwards and upwards!

Thanks for all the other kind words too, it's nice to be appreciated :undecided:

Arthur

Well, give that man a 'big hand' :salute:

A commitment indeed, with little or no return benefits for the work and expense of doing it.

Thanks Arthur, and also to Tommi and Chris before you, for providing this valued resource.

Dave

Congratulations mate, and thank's for keeping the site going. Granted I could never afford most of the stuff on there, but it has always been my 1st place to look!

I'll be signing up........ just in case there is ever anything I can afford!

Good Luck!! :thumbright:

P.S. Just registered. Awaiting reply......

Well then, for those of you that remember the good old days when Chris Heapy ran the UK Astro Ads site, we've added a couple of extras.

Clicking here will take you to the classified precis page, where all recent ads are gathered together in one place, in posting order starting with the most recent, with links back to the main forum for each ad.

Clicking here will take you to a simple text-based page with the same information as above, also with links back to the main forum for each ad.

Arthur

• 3 years later...

AS the URL for Astro Adds changed?

All I get when I try to view the site is "SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Access denied for user 'sr1467925'@'81.31.99.13' (using password: YES) [1045]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists."

Would very much like to continue as a member.

Hello

I just tried to have a look at the site and had this

General Error

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Access denied for user 'sr1467925'@'81.31.99.13' (using password: YES) [1045]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

Archived