APM ED152 APO F8 and Takahashi FC100-DF

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Stu said:

all the more important not to put down others

4 minutes ago, John said:

When have I put down others Stu ?

With all due respect to two Moderators on this site, both of whom I have great respect for and who have taught me lots about this hobby but who obviously have axes to grind...

Stop it. Stop it now please :wink: 

1 minute ago, DRT said:

With all due respect to two Moderators on this site, both of whom I have great respect for and who have taught me lots about this hobby but who obviously have axes to grind...

Stop it. Stop it now please :wink: 

No axes here Derek...... :)

No axe here either :smiley:

Jupiter looks quite nice and Io has just started it's transit with it's shadow to follow in around an hour. Derek has some awsome choices of viewing devices to choose from :grin:

In regards the APM ed 152 and the Tak 100mm.

I am really looking forwards to your thoughts on the optical difference in sharpness (if there is any) on planetary and lunar  . My understanding is new the Tak is around 2K and the APM 2.5k. Slightly more expensive the APM, but so much more scope with the APM. But when it comes to planetary and lunar obvious the optics are really what comes into play. So hopefully Derek you will get some great seeing conditions. Pop a few XW in the focusers and let us know your feelings. Does the smaller Tak take the day ,or the size and quality of the APM deliver. Look forward to your thoughts

5 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

In regards the APM ed 152 and the Tak 100mm.

I am really looking forwards to your thoughts on the optical difference in sharpness (if there is any) on planetary and lunar  . My understanding is new the Tak is around 2K and the APM 2.5k. Slightly more expensive the APM, but so much more scope with the APM. But when it comes to planetary and lunar obvious the optics are really what comes into play. So hopefully Derek you will get some great seeing conditions. Pop a few XW in the focusers and let us know your feelings. Does the smaller Tak take the day ,or the size and quality of the APM deliver. Look forward to your thoughts

It's an interesting one. Providing the APM optics are decent it should win that particular contest. I've said before the Tak is not a magic machine, but it does give amazing results in a very portable and useable package. There are plenty of times and places the Tak will be useable when the APM isn't.

Having looked through Gavin's TEC160 along side the Tak the other night, I would expect the APM to be somewhere in between, probably more towards the upper end of the scale given the additional resolution.

39 minutes ago, Timebandit said:

hopefully Derek you will get some great seeing conditions.

That, my friend, will be the problem - at least for the next few weeks.

The Solar system objects currently hover just above my neighbour's roof for a short while before "darkness" and then disappear from view. "Darkness" looks like this at this time of year at my location and lasts about 2 hours...

2011110369_ScreenShot2018-06-24at22_50_38.png.697fde1595264deb5639a5e1c0de4dc5.png

It will be some time before I can point these things at anything vaguely faint of fuzzy.

Until then, it's bright stuff for an hour or so when it is clear :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, John said:

Jupiter looks quite nice and Io has just started it's transit with it's shadow to follow in around an hour.

Now watching the shadow transit in the Tak FS102 - thanks for the heads up. It's very stable seeing tonight.

Hello DRT. Getting back to your original post. Lovely Purchases on both scopes count. 

Looking forward to a report, first light, given your comments about light nites, low planets etc, for the APM. 

Saw one at an Astro show last year and I’ve had a niggle at th back  of my brain since about maybe selling a couple of my scopes  ( Meade 127 frac and or my C9.25 ) and moving in this direction. 

I have a Meade 5000 127 app and am looking for your thoughts on how much of an improvement the APM ends up being over yourED 120,  planetary and lunar wise. My Apo is great but ?? 

Im sure the APM will be no slouch on DSO’s either. 

I did start a thread a while back about an upgrade to a 152 and the advice was rather mixed. I was very ? 

Enjoy anyway. I’m thinking you will 

clear skies. John 

7 hours ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello DRT. Getting back to your original post. Lovely Purchases on both scopes count. 

Looking forward to a report, first light, given your comments about light nites, low planets etc, for the APM. 

Saw one at an Astro show last year and I’ve had a niggle at th back  of my brain since about maybe selling a couple of my scopes  ( Meade 127 frac and or my C9.25 ) and moving in this direction. 

I have a Meade 5000 127 app and am looking for your thoughts on how much of an improvement the APM ends up being over yourED 120,  planetary and lunar wise. My Apo is great but ?? 

Im sure the APM will be no slouch on DSO’s either. 

I did start a thread a while back about an upgrade to a 152 and the advice was rather mixed. I was very ? 

Enjoy anyway. I’m thinking you will 

clear skies. John 

Likewise I have some thoughts of upgrading my ES 127 APO to either the APM 140 f7, or the Skywatcher Espirit 150 f7, but it wont't be for a least a couple of years, in time for the favourable opposition of Mars in 2020, and/or when Jupiter and Saturn start to improve altitude wise from 2021. I didn't want a tube as long as that of the APM 152 f7.9.

Derek, I assumed you considered both these instruments as an option, especially with previously owning  a Skywatcher 120 ED, before deciding on the TAK, APM combination.

You may find that due to the current low altitude of Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars, the TAK may give better results now, but that the APM will outperform it in future years when they move higher up in the sky.

John

6 minutes ago, johnturley said:

Likewise I have some thoughts of upgrading my ES 127 APO to either the APM 140 f7, or the Skywatcher Espirit 150 f7, but it wont't be for a least a couple of years, in time for the favourable opposition of Mars in 2020, and/or when Jupiter and Saturn start to improve altitude wise from 2021. I didn't want a tube as long as that of the APM 152 f7.9.

I assumed you considered both these instruments as an option, especially with previously owning  a Skywatcher 120 ED, before deciding on the TAK, APM combination.

You may find that due to the current low altitude of Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars, the TAK may give better results now, but that the APM will outperform it in future years when they move higher up in the sky.

John

Hello John.  Think we are in the same lifeboat here - lol.  I did note your earlier post. The Skywatcher 150 is on my radar as well and I am a visual viewer too. 

Poor planet positions at the moment but we are a patient bunch I think. Not much choice anyway. LOL  Am thinking the APM could be an all rounder. Not perfect as is always the case, horses for courses but no slouch on DSO and lunar too. 

Look forward to DRT's replies. Sure it will be enlightening. 

John 

23 hours ago, John said:

I agree. A few tweaks to my Tak FC-100DL focuser and it's really smooth and positive. No need for an upgrade IMHO.

FT's and Moonlites are nice (I have both on other scopes) but I can't see the point in change for changes sake :dontknow:

Unless it's about keeping up with the Jones's :grin:

Or unless an owner considers the OE versions unsatisfactory in any way for their preference. 

There is too much labelling, pigeon holing etc of posters from brand devotees towards others who just want to improve, personalise or upgrade. It is up to anyone who has spent on kit as to whether they want to improve, change it.

There is too much preoccupation particularly from Tak-know mages, about whether a potential buyer might be dissuaded by somebody else's opinion.

Change and let change!

46 minutes ago, 25585 said:

Or unless an owner considers the OE versions unsatisfactory in any way for their preference. 

There is too much labelling, pigeon holing etc of posters from brand devotees towards others who just want to improve, personalise or upgrade. It is up to anyone who has spent on kit as to whether they want to improve, change it.

There is too much preoccupation particularly from Tak-know mages, about whether a potential buyer might be dissuaded by somebody else's opinion.

Change and let change!

SGL is a discussion forum. Posts on here get discussed and not all the viewpoints will be the same. If we are limited to posting "thats very nice" or "I agree entirely" to everything that is posted it's going to turn into a dull and lifeless forum PDQ IMHO.

Still no axe here though :smiley:

47 minutes ago, John said:

SGL is a discussion forum. Posts on here get discussed and not all the viewpoints will be the same. If we are limited to posting "thats very nice" or "I agree entirely" to everything that is posted it's going to turn into a dull and lifeless forum PDQ IMHO.

Still no axe here though :smiley:

Fair enough John, though discussion can turn to criticism - perceived or actual.

I was going to leave SGL at one point because I was subjected to much as you might remember. But the overall good nature of people here, made me re-consider.

FWIW I have no trouble with my DL focuser with an ES 40mm Maxview plugged in to a heavy diagonal. The SW Equinox focuser no problem either yet, it's quite sturdy, the test is long periods racked out. . Any upgrade would be to a 3 inch. The RGO's 120 ED PRO has a Baader Steel track focuser upgrade I noticed.

19 hours ago, DRT said:

Chris, if these count as "problems" they are very much "first world problems" :rolleyes:

As I have said many times on this forum I count myself exceptionally lucky to be in a position to buy this stuff. I don't so it with any sense of boasting, I do it because I can, I enjoy it, and I think some others enjoy hearing about the experiences I am lucky enough to have in owning this stuff.

If you want a list of "problems", we need a different forum :lol: 

Cheers

Derek

Absolutely agree, Derek :) and I was using the word problems relatively of course, as in problems with the focuser rather than the real problems in life some face. It's always good to remind ourselves how fortunate we are. I guess we are lucky to be born as humans rather than some kind of parasite, net alone be healthy and live comfortably enough to afford the toys we have, toys they couldn't have imagined in amateur astronomy 30-40 years ago. 

Maybe we need a sub category for astro first world problems :grin:

@DRT Congrats on your new scopes. Looking forward to reading your 1st light reports in due course.....

You mentioned that you had previously owned Altair Scopes, am very tempted next month to pay a visit to Tring to take a very close look at the Altair 125 doublet.  If you wrote up any reports from observing etc with your Altair Scope, would much appreciate any links please? 

Thank you.

chris

21 minutes ago, Cjg said:

@DRT Congrats on your new scopes. Looking forward to reading your 1st light reports in due course.....

You mentioned that you had previously owned Altair Scopes, am very tempted next month to pay a visit to Tring to take a very close look at the Altair 125 doublet.  If you wrote up any reports from observing etc with your Altair Scope, would much appreciate any links please? 

Thank you.

chris

Chris, I still have the Altair Starwave 152 F5.9 Achro and have also owned two of the 102 F11s. I very briefly owned an Altair Lightwave 66ED but sold it before really getting any use out of it.

All of these are in a different league to what you are looking at so the only advice I can give you is that the Altair scopes are very well put together with solid construction, well figured lenses and excellent quality focusers. I have had a problem with the paint job on my 152 but that is being rectified by Altair.

Thank you, was tempted by the Tak 100, but not that much of a step up from the 76, which I love (and the single speed focusser) but want something a little larger, but not as large as the 152, think the 125 a good step up, without spending Tak territory.

Chris

My new toys are currently sitting on the Ercole pointing at Jupiter. The seeing is awful :sad: 

I managed to get a reasonable view through the 152 but it just keeps drifting in and out of focus, presumably due to air currents following a very warm day.

I gave up pretty quickly as the Moon will come over the top of my garage in about 30 minutes so I might have better luck with that.

One thing I did learn is that my APM EPs don't reach focus in the Tak with the 2" Baader Zeiss Prism :sad: 

More later...

The Moon:

WOW!!

:grin: 

I didn't go out with a plan of what to look for so just spent time browsing around the lower terminator looking for interesting shadows and features. I have never seen so many tiny white specks floating in black space that I just have with the 152. Just the very tops of crater peaks and mountains glowing in the darkness but only a tiny distance from an enormous white light burning a hole in my eye. Stunning. I got up to x240 mag with the Pentax 5mm with fantastic clarity. The Myriad 3.5mm (x342) was a bit mushy by comparison and didn't show the finer detail but still provided a stunning view.

I must admit to neglecting my Tak this evening due to aperture fever :rolleyes:

Archived