NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

APM ED152 APO F8 and Takahashi FC100-DF

Excellent equipment.

Before investing in an Ft focuser for the Tak, I'd suggest you to play with the screws on top of the focuser. See the Tak thread for reference. A tiny adjustment can be all what you need.

Also, Cygnus and other deep sky areas are better candidates than planets for those 100 eyepieces, in my opinion.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Piero said:

Before investing in an Ft focuser for the Tak, I'd suggest you to play with the screws on top of the focuser. See the Tak thread for reference. A tiny adjustment can be all what you need.

I'm sure the Tak can be made perfectly acceptable Piero, but not in same league as the dual speed FT, well worth the cash.

21 minutes ago, Stu said:

I'm sure the Tak can be made perfectly acceptable Piero, but not in same league as the dual speed FT, well worth the cash.

There is very little doubt that a FeatherTouch will be added at some point, but it will be at least 4 months before they are available for this scope.

I have an adapter for a Moonlite arriving on Tuesday. I will be trying that out as it will be better than the Tak focuser and will also add a bit of weight to the back of the set-up to help counter the front-heavy APM 152.

11 minutes ago, DRT said:

There is very little doubt that a FeatherTouch will be added at some point, but it will be at least 4 months before they are available for this scope.

I have an adapter for a Moonlite arriving on Tuesday. I will be trying that out as it will be better than the Tak focuser and will also add a bit of weight to the back of the set-up to help counter the front-heavy APM 152.

The question is, should I use a black or a red MoonLite? (I have both) 

1 hour ago, Piero said:

Excellent equipment.

I agree. A few tweaks to my Tak FC-100DL focuser and it's really smooth and positive. No need for an upgrade IMHO.

FT's and Moonlites are nice (I have both on other scopes) but I can't see the point in change for changes sake :dontknow:

Unless it's about keeping up with the Jones's :grin:

13 minutes ago, John said:

Unless it's about keeping up with the Jones's 

A little harsh John, if you are happy with the Tak focuser then fine, but the FT is a very different proposition. Each to their own I suppose.

22 minutes ago, John said:

I agree. A few tweaks to my Tak FC-100DL focuser and it's really smooth and positive. No need for an upgrade IMHO.

FT's and Moonlites are nice (I have both on other scopes) but I can't see the point in change for changes sake :dontknow:

Unless it's about keeping up with the Jones's :grin:

Well this particular Mr Jones already owns a FT and two MoonLites so no harm in trying them out. It's not as though the Tak focuser will be going any farther than my astro cupboard so it can all be easily reversed if there is no benefit :wink: 

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

So that's where the Moonlite went off the 120ED :)

Yip - no one was biting with the bling included so I decided to dial it down and see if that helped shift the scope. No takers yet :sad: 

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

Well this particular Mr Jones already owns a FT and two MoonLites

Careful Derek, who are you trying to keep up with?......... ;)

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

A little harsh John, if you are happy with the Tak focuser then fine, but the FT is a very different proposition. Each to their own I suppose.

I have an FT on the LZOS 130 Stu - it's lovely. I did use the smiley to indicate slight tongue in cheek :smiley:

PS: I sort of guessed that you might pick that one up !

While we are on this subject, I did briefly consider taking MoonLite up on their offer to order in any colour and almost asked for one in "Takahashi Green" :rolleyes: :lol: 

21 minutes ago, John said:

I have an FT on the LZOS 130 Stu - it's lovely. I did use the smiley to indicate slight tongue in cheek :smiley:

PS: I sort of guessed that you might pick that one up !

I just didn't think we were in this game to keep up with anyone, so the comment was a little surprising, particularly aimed at others.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

I just didn't think we were in this game to keep up with anyone, so the comment was a little surprising, particularly aimed at others.

Stu - it was a little humour and an honest opinion on a sunny Sunday afternoon. No more than that and it can be completely ignored, of course :smiley:

Apologies to anybody who was offended by my comment, especially to any Jones's out there.

Back on topic...

I mentioned earlier that I am unhappy with the focuser on the Tak. It is not because of the movement, which is tight and smooth.

It is because of this, which I don't think should happen on a precision instrument costing £2k...

2 minutes ago, DRT said:

I mentioned earlier that I am unhappy with the focuser on the Tak. It is not because of the movement, which is tight and smooth.

It is because of this...

Hmm...that's not good Derek. This is certainly not how it should be. I've used a whole range of Tak focusers and never had that problem. I wonder whether you can adjust it.

I have spent a bit of time with the Tak today with the Baader wedge and I must say I am very impressed. Lovely detail across the entire disk and great contrast when viewing the AR. 

And tonight is to be clear :smile: 

2 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Hmm...that's not good Derek. This is certainly not how it should be. I've used a whole range of Tak focusers and never had that problem. I wonder whether you can adjust it.

I'm a bit hesitant to try, Jeremy, as the action of the tube is very good. I'd hate to knock that off twiddling with the wobbly wheels :sad: 

Just now, DRT said:

'm a bit hesitant to try, Jeremy, as the action of the tube is very good. I'd hate to knock that off twiddling with the wobbly wheels :sad: 

Has it always been like this Derek? I'm not sure if you got it new, but if it was like that when it arrived, it's a job for the retailer to sort I think.

They are adjustable Derek but the Feathertouch is a great option so it will make an excellent enhancement to the scope :smiley:

When I bought my new one, the focuser was good but just a touch looser than I like so I made the adjustments and now it suits me and my eyepieces just fine.

It's an issue worth discussion because these are expensive scopes (even used). Over the years I've read loads of comments about Skywatcher focusers and those cost around 1/3rd as much as the equivalent Tak so it's fair enough that we have a grumble and look at ways to improve things.

15 minutes ago, John said:

They are adjustable Derek but the Feathertouch is a great option so it will make an excellent enhancement to the scope :smiley:

When I bought my new one, the focuser was good but just a touch looser than I like so I made the adjustments and now it suits me and my eyepieces just fine.

It's an issue worth discussion because these are expensive scopes (even used). Over the years I've read loads of comments about Skywatcher focusers and those cost around 1/3rd as much as the equivalent Tak so it's fair enough that we have a grumble and look at ways to improve things.

That’s a big issue for me John and has been since I started this hobby. I remember posting questions like “Why do SW put cheap focuser, dovetails, etc on very good optics?” The answer is consistently “to keep the price down”. 

People who buy Taks and similar things are not really into “keeping the price down”. ?

Hence my delight when I opened the box of my APM 152 APO. Everything fits. Everything is the right quality for the price I paid for the package. There were no crap bits thrown in “to keep the price down” ?

Just to be clear, I get that argument for entry level equipment. The SW approach opens up access to great Optics for a mass audience. That is what drew me into the hobby. I just don’t get it for this sort of kit. 

21 minutes ago, DRT said:

..Hence my delight when I opened the box of my APM 152 APO. Everything fits. Everything is the right quality for the price I paid for the package. There were no crap bits thrown in “to keep the price down” ?

My APM 130 is the same Derek - it's 11 years old but still the same as it was when supplied including the focuser and all working really well.

My Vixen and Skywacher ED's have replacement focusers and my Tak needed a little adjustment.

Why if one company can do this, can't the others ?

54 minutes ago, DRT said:

No, bought second hand last week. It was always my intention to replace with a FeatherTouch so it wasn’t an issue for me in deciding to buy.

Glad to hear it Derek. Good luck with the FT.

I just don't want people thinking this is typical of the performance of a Tak focuser. I can understand that people want different things from their focuser, but what you have shown is simply not right for any sort of telescope and certainly not what Tak focusers are capable of providing.

I am more than happy with the stock focuser on the Equinox version on the SW 120ed. Have never thought of an "upgrade" 

But obviously if you are spending many many thousands on a Tak, then should you need to upgrade from a stock focuser. I don't think you should. But maybe if Tak did redesigned the focuser it would become so expensive to buy the new "improved" version, then it would push the scope out of the market for being just to expensive, as they are already at a premium price IMO.

SW do seem to produce such a great range of scopes now ,from the entry level, ed , esprit. Something for everyone?

Archived