Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rotation of the whole universe around the common center of mass.

Rotation of the whole universe around the common center of mass.
It is possible to detect when observing galactic accumulations. Such clusters, which are more shaped in the shape of a plutonium, move in orbit around the center of mass. Those that are irregular; fall in the center or additionally have one more motion vector parallel to the axis of rotation.
For falling, you can determine the diameter of this "megascope".
Accidentally came to such a marijuana.
P.S. I do not know much English yet, so the translator

Can't say I've ever heard/read that the universe rotates. I can't see how it would be possible anyway because the universe is expanding outward in every direction. I think you mean Galaxy, and the rotation of them (objects within the galaxy do rotate around it).

Our solar system rotates around within our galaxy. I think it takes about 100, 000 yrs to do a single rotation. 

38 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Can't say I've ever heard/read that the universe rotates. I can't see how it would be possible anyway because the universe is expanding outward in every direction. 

There are solution of the GR equations which involve a rotating expanding Universe but they are not supprted by observation.

Some of these things are hard to get your mind round. For example our current best model has the Universe as spatially infinite (and always has been) but undergoing metrical expansion

Regards Andrew

I guess it's not impossible for the universe to be rotating and expanding at the same time. I'm thinking of a snow ball. You roll it ("it's rotating) and at the same time it's gathering up more snow which makes it get bigger (it's expanding). As you say though, without any observational proof or the likes. 

Wouldn't everything in the universe be rotating at the same rate/speed. Therefor everything would look as if nothing is happening. You would need something outside of the universe to focus on to detect any rotation. 

Finding something outside of the universe to focus on doesn't even make sense when I say it. Much less even being possible. 

Rotation requires an axis to rotate about. We could detect evidence for his in the CMB but none is found and the Universe looks isotropic with a very low probability it is not isotropic.

Regards Andrew

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

Rotation requires an axis to rotate about. We could detect evidence for his in the CMB but none is found and the Universe looks isotropic with a very low probability it is not isotropic.

Regards Andrew

I guess a ball rolls rather than rotates. 

I guess that if we could answer the question; where did the Big Bang happen? Then the centre/axis part of the OP’s question would have an answer.

I think that the answer is “everywhere”. So the answer to the OP’s question is “No”

??????

Any experts in the house?

Paul

29 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I guess a ball rolls rather than rotates. 

Yes but then the center of the ball is a special point. Remember our view of the Universe is intrinsic i.e. from the inside by definition it has no outside (it is everything) and so we can't have an extrinsic view.

23 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I think that the answer is “everywhere”. So the answer to the OP’s question is “No”

That is correct in my understanding and is the standard view.

Regards Andrew

An interesting question which has been pondered by cosmologist for many years. This Physics Stack Exchange question for example, although quite old covers most of the ground

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/1048/what-if-the-universe-is-rotating-as-a-whole

In summary

It is possible to envisage an infinite, homogeneous, expanding, rotating universe. It would not be isotropic though and any observer could detect an axis of rotation, though the axis would be different for each observer. No anisotropy has been detected to date however (eg in the CMB) so the rotation must be small if present at all.

Robin

2 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

No anisotropy has been detected to date however (eg in the CMB) so the rotation must be small if present at all.

This 2016 paper https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.07178 concludes "Including all degrees of freedom simultaneously for the first time, anisotropic expansion of the Universe is strongly disfavoured, with odds of 121,000:1 against."

Regards Andrew

10 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Our solar system rotates around within our galaxy. I think it takes about 100, 000 yrs to do a single rotation. 

It takes the Sun 250 million years to orbit the galaxy once... it's 100,000 light years in diameter...

11 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I know the feeling well. Mr room and everything else rotates around me when I've had a few beers...

few beers?? Take me a few vodkas, but I know what you mean... the trick is to keep that spinny feeling and not to go over board... aka, maintain the happy phase....

11 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Close enough?.

Hows your parallel parking.

Good, bad or Middle of the road.

LOL.

By this logic... perpendicular.. haha....

Ok Ok, you were way off... 

• Ibbo! locked this topic

Archived