Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SGL moves ahead!!!

centroid

I note this morning at 10.20 Aussie time, that SGL had, for the very first time, moved ahead of the Sky at Night Forum in terms of registered members. S@N 2593 members, SGL 2594 members.

This must be quite an achievment, given that the S@N forum gets widely advertised through the magazine.

Congratulations to SGL, a testament to its reputation :hello1: , and long may it continue to grow and prosper :thumbright:

Dave

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:mrgreen: That's excellent news.

I commented only last night that we weren't as big as S@N forum. Glad I'm wrong.

It's mainly down to you guys, the members, who make the forum what it is... without you guy/gals there would be no SGL.

:hello1:

Ant

This does seem to be the busiest of the UK forums at least, with far more postings than S@N, SPA or AstroChat. It seems there is always a new post to read no matter how often I check. I'd agree that it is also (usually) the nicest and politest forum as well, and it would be my first choice to recommend to somebody.

Richard

SGL is a much "nicer" forum...

I started off on S@N, very soon after it 'launched' in 2006, and in those early days it was very nice indeed.

Around Jan/Feb 2007 it went 'way off track', and got quite unpleasant, so i departed (Feb 07), and have been here on SGL ever since. :undecided:

I do have a look back there, to see what's going on, but don't bother 'logging on, as nothing about it inspires me anymore. Plus the fact I note that some of the original Jan/Feb 07 'wooden spoons' still reside there.

Dave

Great news! It's certainly a busy forum. And 300 members logging back in most days. Have no idea what the number of active members are. But there's no forum on the planet that fares well on that count. It's just the nature of the beast that people join and never return for what ever reason.

Russ

Can I ask how many people are actually active on the forum.

By active I would say 'have posted in the last 2 months'

Not easily mate.

I've just done a quick check and 1507 members out of 2594 have posted - thats 58%. I think that is a very good percentage for a forum.

Ant

Good news.

Personally I'm here 'cos the SGL'ers seem to have a much better attitude than any other forum posters I've come across. That's understandable on political forums, but even some technical forums I visit people amaze me with their OTT rudeness.

I've felt welcomed from the first time I visited here.

And I like the colour scheme too :undecided:

Mark

:thumbright: Congratulations!

One of the things that really motivated me into joinging this forum is the wealth of information available to amateur astronomers in the forms of stickies, including a sticky for disabled amateur astronomers, which I found unique and made me think ' ah, yes, here there's somebody, or more, who do understand other types of challenges one is faced with when taking up this hobby, or passion, I should add'.

Also, there is an abundance of threads covering a variety of topics that can be of interest to a variety of audiences. There's something for everybody.

Last but not least, the general feel of the forum is rather pleasant :undecided: (with the occasional argument among members, but that's all part and parcel of being a large community with many views :) and that's ok. It would get terribly boring otherwise :) )

Great news, it deserves to do as well as it does.

I've found this forum to have a great feel to it, most of the posters seem to be able to communicate easily with other human beings, which I'm afraid can't be said for some other places!

There's also a wealth of information and experience here, and this seems to be easily given, not crumbs dished out grudgingly by sad folks with nothing else to make them feel happy apart from showing their superior knowledge in some obscure department :undecided:

Cheers

Rob

There's also a wealth of information and experience here, and this seems to be easily given, not crumbs dished out grudgingly by sad folks with nothing else to make them feel happy apart from showing their superior knowledge in some obscure department :undecided:

Nicely put :thumbright:

Great news, it deserves to do as well as it does.

I've found this forum to have a great feel to it, most of the posters seem to be able to communicate easily with other human beings, which I'm afraid can't be said for some other places!

Cheers

Rob

Think you hit the nail fairly and squarely on the head there Rob...

SGL is a refreshing change - pity it took me so long to find it :)

Personally I'm here 'cos the SGL'ers seem to have a much better attitude than any other forum posters I've come across. That's understandable on political forums, but even some technical forums I visit people amaze me with their OTT rudeness.

Yeah, I agree. Astronomy forums are pretty good compared to other places I frequent (financial and aviation, which are both ego-fueled flamefests half the time) but SGL seems to do it very well indeed ... and without some of the heavy-handed moderation of other places :undecided:

:mrgreen: That's excellent news.

I commented only last night that we weren't as big as S@N forum. Glad I'm wrong.

It's mainly down to you guys, the members, who make the forum what it is... without you guy/gals there would be no SGL.

Ant

TBH Ant, we've been the busier forum for knocking on a year now. A lot of people register for S@N when they see it in the mag, have a look around and thats their only involvement.

:mrgreen:

Ant

I've been a member here for a year now and it's a terrific forum with a really friendly, helpful, knowledgeable membership but also the moderators/admin, who must put in an awful lot of time and work behind the scenes to keep it all rolling, so a big thanks to you all for your efforts on our behalf.

:cheers: and :hello1:

Louise

Archived