Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best planetarium prog to control EQ6

Astrokev

Hi All

In my new observatory (see my AstroKev's ROR build thread in DIY Observatories section!), I want to set up goto control of my NEQ6 mount using a planetarium program.

A friend uses C2A, but I know others use Stellarium or Cartes du Ciel.

Please can some experts out there advise the relative pro's and con's to help me decide which I should use.

A factor to consider is that I anticipate wanting to be able to enter orbital details of comets to help locate these for imaging. This may influence the best choice.

Many thanks

Kev

I find CdC and Stellarium actually very different.  I use CdC as I find it more of a functional star chart and control software, with Stellarium being more planetarium and visually more attractive if you want to look at what your'e imaging or plan a session.  Both work fine, but definitely CdC for me.

Watching this thread with interest as I want to run a second setup in my observatory with an EQ-6 Pro. My main scope is on an AWR equipped Alter D6 controlled by the Sky 6, but that won't talk to to the EQ-6 I believe?

46 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I use CDC, but only for giving me the coordinates of objects, that I can input into SGPro, which then issues the go-to commands etc....

I do the same thing these days.  I've been a long term fan of CDC as a control/planning application.

7 minutes ago, daz said:

@JAO - The Sky6 talks to the EQ6 via ASCOM. You need to replace a dll file but it's a simple operation. I can send you the details and file if needed...

Daz, that's great, if you could send details that would be excellent and much appreciated. I have used Sky 6 for years and am pretty used to its strengths and weaknesses 

11 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks guys for the replies.

CDC seems to get the main votes. If it's not stupid a question, why do you prefer this program?

And can anyone advise how it compares to C2A ?

many thanks

Kev

For me personally, and I'm sure others will have differing views, it is just more intuitive, functional, easier to use and rock solid in performance.  Whilst the GUI in Stellarium is nice to look at, I don't find it at all intuitive or easy to navigate.  That isn't to say Stellarium is not good, as it is a nice programme, but CdC works exceptionally well and is very easy to use.  If it is lovely images of the night sky and targets that you want, then Stellarium wins hands down as a planetarium. 

2 hours ago, RayD said:

For me personally, and I'm sure others will have differing views, it is just more intuitive, functional, easier to use and rock solid in performance.  Whilst the GUI in Stellarium is nice to look at, I don't find it at all intuitive or easy to navigate.  That isn't to say Stellarium is not good, as it is a nice programme, but CdC works exceptionally well and is very easy to use.  If it is lovely images of the night sky and targets that you want, then Stellarium wins hands down as a planetarium. 

What he said .

2 hours ago, RayD said:

rock solid in performance

Spot on CDC has never failed me - IMHO C2a but especially Stellarium is flaky. CDC is quirky to begin with but its simple one program interface to Ascom (Stellarium needs Stellarium Scope as well as Stellarium main program). Stellarium , as others have said , is by far the "prettiest" planetarium program (that's not an insult thats a praise) and I still use it on another PC to look up other objects - I just wont use it for mount control via Ascom.

Thanks again all.

I have Stellarium (and yes it's pretty), but I'm more interested in the simplest, most intuitive and most reliable prog to drive my mount, with the ability to add comet orbital elements. If folks are saying CdC ticks more boxes than C2A then I'll explore that further.

Wanted to get some views from users first, rather than download loads of different programs simply to try.

Finally, is CdC easy to install? I've seen a few blog posts that seem to suggest it's tricky, but maybe these are old posts for out of date versions. I think CdC is now on version 4.

thanks

kev

I use CdC for mount control too - initially with EQMod and now for my Mesu via Sitech.  For comets, you can either get all comet data from MPC (you just choose to download latest data) or you can input the data for a particular comet yourself.  

I've just upgraded to version 4 with no issue

Helen

4 hours ago, Helen said:

I use CdC for mount control too - initially with EQMod and now for my Mesu via Sitech.  For comets, you can either get all comet data from MPC (you just choose to download latest data) or you can input the data for a particular comet yourself.  

I've just upgraded to version 4 with no issue

Helen

Thanks Helen :-)

4 hours ago, RayD said:

Yes as noted by @Helen installation is no problem, Kev.  I run it on my AZ EQ6 via EQMOD and also on my Mesu, both with no issues at all, either with installation or operation.

...and thanks Ray :-)

Stand by, rope attached, I'm going in...

Archived