SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wooden Eyepiece case or box?

Alan White

I don't use one but I would certainly like to. Mine is metal and plastic. Wooden eyepiece boxes are so much more  beautiful, especially handcrafted ones. Looking forward to the pictures.

• Like 1

I had a rose wood one handmade , it would take 6 ep a 2inch wedge and barlow, I sold it together with my badder hype set like a fool, there nothing like the look of some nice eps in a nicely made wooden case, it makes them pleasing to the eye and rounded if you know what I mean. charl.

• Like 1

I dont have one but would be handy for storing Camera lenses, I do however keep some bits of Cedar wood in all my camera bags, it keeps those tiny bugs who love to crawl inside lenses and cameras away.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

Hi Alan,

After many years of carrying large numbers of heavy high end, expensive, eyepieces in metal foam lined cases, I've found it quite liberating to now store and carry my retro collection in a wooden box. It's more in keeping with my grab and go old school mind set. 

The art  box was bought from Hobby Craft at Preston for a little over £20. Cheaper than making one myself! I wish I didn't love my binoviewer so much, then I could reduce my eyepiece collection even further and use the even smaller version of this box, also available at Hobby Craft!

5a78c7ad236cf_2018-02-0521_06_00.thumb.jpg.b0b228bafe7b28450ad503f50808b88b.jpg

5a78c7c753863_2018-02-0521_05_09.thumb.jpg.d63624fe8e25c8f39b48185dc175681e.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 13

3 hours ago, 25585 said:

I've always fancied a set of Brandons, so if you buy a set, I'll buy them off you cheap if you don't like them. :biggrin:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Rather nice case with the Brandons.
Bet the eyepieces are as nice as the case too.

They are. I considered buying the 32 before a Baader Eudiascopic came along, the 24 is on my birthday list both about 3ozs weight. Wish the walnutcase was sold on its own, but probably good ones on ebay.image.png.461ff4b452a41fa386636cac9fd8ea20.png

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 19:06, Louis D said:

I don't know about UK and European suppliers, but there are a copule of American custom wooden eyepiece case manufacturers.  One is Wood Wonders and the other I know of is A Case for Astronomy.

I have seen both of these craftsmans sites before, they are wonderful creations, perhaps a bit OTT by English tastes but really nice cases.
Rather like the planetary one from a case for astronomy, very nice indeed.

Wish we had someone in the UK who did similar, as imports from US involve VAT and Import duties so make things more expensive than in the US.

Edited by Alan White
Typos as normal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

Wish we had someone in the UK who did similar, as imports from US involve VAT and Import duties so make things more expensive than in the US.

Don't get me started on the non-reciprocity in this UK-US relationship.  There is no sales tax (VAT equivalent) on imports and no import duty on individuals importing less than $800/day/person into the US from anywhere.  I've picked up several bargains from the UK with the favorable USD-GBP exchange rates of late.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 08/02/2018 at 16:19, Alan White said:

I have seen both of these craftsmans sites before, they are wonderful creations, perhaps a bit OTT by English tastes but really nice cases.
Rather like the planetary one from a case for astronomy, very nice indeed.

Moonraker telescopes will make you a nice wooden box for telescope or eyepieces. 

• 2 years later...
On 05/02/2018 at 21:05, Alan White said:

Who on here has and uses a wooden eyepiece box or case rather than or in addition to a foam filled photography case?

If you do, why? 

I don't. But I'd like to. If I had an obsy, with a driven mount, a comfy seat and a nice sturdy table / wide shelf for the case to rest on in complete safety and in easy reach, then yes, absolutely. Gentleman observer. By all means.

As it is, my EPs are either in some kind of tote on the (cold, dewy) planet's surface or in my pockets (each has been issued a neoprene pouch to wear) awaiting their go in the night's scope. So a wooden case makes no practical sense for me. Anyway, I need something me-proof that doesn't launch all the EPs when I clumsily knock it about with open lid.

Then again, the permacloud makes me consider either displaying the Naglers in wood and behind glass, or... well, not just yet. :rolleyes2:

• Like 5

As a gentleman observer without the correct surroundings 😉 I can see your point,

being ‘me’ proof for most of us is THE most important point.

I have a uncanny ability to do stupid things, so perhaps it’s me that needs a nice padded case to keep me safe instead.

• Haha 5