NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Greetings from Oxfordshire

Nic_P

Hi everybody,

I thought I should say hello. I have been staring at the skies for a long time but finally treated myself to a telescope for my birthday. I have already found lots of interesting and helpful posts on this forum so thought I would join in rather than just lurk! ?

i look forward to learning from you all and hope at some point I will be able to help by sharing my experiences. 

40 minutes ago, Floater said:

Welcome, Nic. Hope you have lots of fun with the hobby and the forum.

What’s your scope?

Thanks Floater. I got an Orion Skyquest XT8 

Hello and welcome to SGL from a German stargazer and Dobsonaut! You've made an excellent choice with an 8" f/6 scope; it will give you years of pleasure. The 2" focuser will allow you to use eyepieces, that give a wide field of view, good for star hopping and observing extended objects, e.g. gaseous nebulae.

There seem to be some nice dark sky areas in Oxfordshire, according to this:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8&lat=6791111&lon=-184695&layers=B0TFFFFFTF

Enjoy the journey, and keep asking (and hopefully reporting)!

Stephan

1 hour ago, Nyctimene said:

Hello and welcome to SGL from a German stargazer and Dobsonaut! You've made an excellent choice with an 8" f/6 scope; it will give you years of pleasure. The 2" focuser will allow you to use eyepieces, that give a wide field of view, good for star hopping and observing extended objects, e.g. gaseous nebulae.

There seem to be some nice dark sky areas in Oxfordshire, according to this:

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=8&lat=6791111&lon=-184695&layers=B0TFFFFFTF

Enjoy the journey, and keep asking (and hopefully reporting)!

Stephan

Thank you Stephan. Once I get to grips with it I will be looking to invest and upgrade from the standard bundled 25mm EP. I live in Witney which is in the area you had highlighted on the map. Just need to find the good spots now!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived