SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M27 - Dumbbell

Hailfire101

Hi everyone.

Not often I post in this section, but last night I finally had some working equipment and clear skies (with some moon...)
So had a go at M27- The Dumbbell.

I'm still learning how to process, and trying to figure out flats still.  :)  But I'll get there.

14 Lights - 800iso x 300 Seconds
20 Bias
19 Flats
No Darks (Wanted to go to bed... it was getting late...)

M27 DumbBell Nebula.jpg

38 minutes ago, Hailfire101 said:

No filters used per say, just a modified Canon 11000d. I've had the Baader filter put in. 

Hmmm, not sure whats caused the green cast then, i have almost identical images with same green cast, but mine was from a CLS LP filter as my camera was unmodded and that what happens with that filter in an unmodded camera, with a modded version the colour balance is almost perfect...the filter was designed to be used with a modded camera. Have you tried the PS plugin that should cure that, the name of it escapes me at present though.. :) 

When you run it through DSS make sure you check the box that says “embed changes but do not apply them” this will make sure all the data is there and none is lost or clipped, the image may come out darker but when you get to PS you will have more to work with, if you dont check this box and apply the changes you will have clipped data and wont be able to do anywhere near as much with it, DSS is superb for stacking but useless at anything else, so just use for stacking and do ALL the processing in PS or whatever you use.. :)

You're off to a very good start there, but your red channel is suffering. There's probably a lot more data in there, but the channels were not aligned when stacking and saving stacked image. I would suggest you select "align RGB channels" when stacking in DSS.

HLVG as mentioned above will help, but it can't do magic. It will remove unwanted green som a processed image, but it won't correct colors  for you, and especially not when the red channel is this far off.

Try to make the channels aligned something like this before saving. Many suggest not doing any modifications in DSS, but until you get more used to processing it might help you get started. :)

image.png.bef76b201be09103df9afc68aa6ba91d.png

I hope you don't mind, but i had a quick go at your image trying to remove some of the strong color cast. There were barely any red color data in there, and colors are still far from correct, but i think if you restack it and let DSS align the channels first it will turn out really great!
5a211a969d432_M27DumbBellNebula-redone.thumb.jpg.44dd89e1476db8a2aee9c93de461d9f2.jpg

Thank you for all the tips and advice in processing! :)
I'm going to try again from scratch... with the imaging and processing!

Mainly, because I forgot to use the Coma Corrector, and I'm just enjoying taking photos, playing with them... and then trying again to get it better than last time. :)

And I'm determined to see what the DGM NPB filter will do. :)

Archived