Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Visual of Barnard 33 (Horsehead) as it can appear

Tim

Thought it might be useful for a few to get an idea of what the Horsehead nebula can look like in a telescope with reasonable aperture.

Hopefully the attached picture will display effectively.

This was pretty much how it appeared to me on an average night, using 18 inch f4.5 dob and Astronomik Hb filter.

I use the pair of stars immediately in front of the horsehead to locate it definitively, as these show up quite well in the eyepiece, and then just concentrate on that spot until the dark notch becomes obvious.

Cheers

ep view b33.jpg

Mileage might vary depending on viewing method. Just had a look on my tablet screen and I can barely see it in the image above!

John, I think you are in a real minority, having seen it in a 12", and under LP skies too, I don't think there are many of us that can match that :)

21 minutes ago, Tim said:

Just had a look on my tablet screen and I can barely see it in the image above!

Same here. In fact, I couldn’t see it at all until I jiggled the image a little by scrolling up and down a tiny bit... exactly the equivalent of tapping the 'scope lightly when observing.  

So, all in all, very realistic!

I'm viewing on a different PC today and Tim's pic looks much less distinct and more like the views that I had. Must have my other screen contrast turned right up - I could see the horseys blinkers with that one !

What the image also demonstrates is the scale of the HH neb. It's larger that you might think, overall. The field of view is about what I was getting with the 24mm Panoptic in my 12" F/5.3 dob. Alnitak well out of the way !

Thanks Tim, great image. I've attempted a few 'simulated views' myself, not easy.

What is clear from this is why it is so difficult to the snout of the horse, you must need pretty spectacular conditions for that.

7 hours ago, John said:

What the image also demonstrates is the scale of the HH neb. It's larger that you might think, overall. The field of view is about what I was getting with the 24mm Panoptic in my 12" F/5.3 dob. Alnitak well out of the way !

I found that in the 21mm ethos on my 18" f4, with Alnitak in the view it was almost impossible to pick out the notch of the horsey.

Archived