Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2001:ASpace Odyssey

impactcrater

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Long skinny asteroid from outside the solar system

Yeah.... cheers.... Amazing to even be spotted.... magnitude 19.5 to over 27 is just slightly out of the reach of my scope... slightly.. ;-)

1 hour ago, MarsG76 said:

Whats a Oumuamuamuamua?

Get it right! It's Oumuamuamuamuauauaua!

Mind you it's a fascinating object. I saw a graphic and a couple of movies depicting it's approach to - and path  near the solar system.  Sadly forgot to bookmark the page.:icon_sad:

17 minutes ago, oobydooby said:

Get it right! It's Oumuamuamuamuauauaua!

Mind you it's a fascinating object. I saw a graphic and a couple of movies depicting it's approach to - and path  near the solar system.  Sadly forgot to bookmark the page.:icon_sad:

Ohmumummah... yes it is very interesting... 26km/s!!!! almost as fast as my computer which can finish a infinite loop in 52 minutes....

13 hours ago, John said:

More like RAMA I think, except that we can't rendezvous with it.

Knew it reminded me of something, and guess what, I've just found the book on my shelves, didn't remember I still had it. Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful novel,  looking forwards to re-discovering it this weekend, I hope it rains, then I have nothing to stop me reading.

Huw

8 minutes ago, Horwig said:

Knew it reminded me of something, and guess what, I've just found the book on my shelves, didn't remember I still had it. Thanks for reminding me about this wonderful novel,  looking forwards to re-discovering it this weekend, I hope it rains, then I have nothing to stop me reading.

Huw

I'm must read it again as well Huw - my favourite Clarke novel I think :icon_biggrin:

16 hours ago, John said:

I'm must read it again as well Huw - my favourite Clarke novel I think :icon_biggrin:

Well I've started the read, I'd forgotten how good a writer he was. What was 'interesting' was the date of the incident in Northern Italy in chapter one, September 11th...

On 11/24/2017 at 05:49, DaveS said:

Yep, I think Rama too.

Looking at the artist's render it looks more like a starship than anything. The size is about right too.

Just kidding really, don't want to start any hares running.

That's what I thought too - an old, beat-up & rusty starship that was blown out of it's former 'stomping-grounds.'

Dave

On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:33, Alien_Photons said:

Shame we missed the opportunity to catch up with it, landing a probe on that would have been a real defining moment for the human race. If there was anything on the rock it’s left the solar system with a foot note of nothing interesting here.

I vaguely remember seeing a proposal somewhere (purely hypothetical) to send a probe to look at it. It's going to leave faster than any of the Voyagers, but it'll be in our region for a few decades...

Putting up a New Horizons-style probe to do this would be perfectly possible, though unlikely to ever be funded...

Archived