SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

shed size 6x6 or 7x5

iwols

Well after a massive thanks to neil who in the wanted section not only supplied some tube for a pier but also welded in up for me ,ive just dropped the pier off at a local powder coating company to have painted.Ive finally decided to enquire about sheds  suitable for my setup which is an ed80 ,st80  on a heq5 mount,going to go for a pent shed but not sure of the size ,either 6x6 or 7x5,going to covert the shed myself by basically cutting the wall approx 18" from the top all way round ,strengthen top and bottom and add rollers/v bar ,not quite sure exactly how but thats my intension ,any thoughts on size or anything else appreciated as always guys

first part of my little(:icon_biggrin:) project

ctlyimage.jpeg

I would go  for the biggest size you can get away with. It's amazing how much room your kit takes up and the equipment you store. Also you ought to look at future proofing, bigger scopes, mount etc...

Nice pillar BTW. It will look great powder coated.

Steve

Yes, as Steve says.  I did a lot of calculations for mine and ended up with nothing less than 8' x 6', each time I looked at the project.  I actually went 8" x 8" and I'm so glad I did.  I can just fit 4 of us in there with my stuff.

3 hours ago, iwols said:

any thoughts on size or anything else appreciated as always guys

2 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I actually went 8" x 8" and I'm so glad I did.

I have a 12x8 obs which includes a 4x8 warm room, leaving 8x8 for the observing area and I wouldn't want it any smaller....

Great looking pier BTW :icon_biggrin:

37 minutes ago, Owmuchonomy said:

I actually went 8" x 8" and I'm so glad I did.

Yup, same here.  If you have the space to build it, it’s definitely worth it.

I think, though, that next time I might offset the pier from the centre, away from the direction that the roof rolls off...

I have started building my Obs using an off the peg 10 x 6 shed. I will also be mounting a HEQ5 and tried the set up in my 8 x 6 greenhouse. Very snug but would just work. I think 6x6 would be too tight. I went for a 10x6 so I could build an internal warm room, but only 6 foot of roof will slide. I put my pier on top of a concrete plinth so it would get max height but stay under the roof. I chose a shed with minimum mods that had separate roof apexes. (Apexi?) see:

My topic; Roll-off roof OBS using Off the peg Shed

Max

7' x 5' here. Limited by space at botom of garden plus the general look and lanscaping.

So far ok with about 3' usable for a little desk and chair. My roll off roof goes 5' off so I get a little bit of protection overhead.

I find 5' width of the shed ok for my neq6 + 102 frac and imaging gear. It clears everything if a little snug, but works fine.

Neil

Minimum of 8' x 8' - you'll be amazed how little room even this would give around a scope. I went with 3m x 3m simply because the metal panel cladding (and indeed most of the other building materials I used) came in units of 1m.

My 3m x 3m obsy has plenty of walk room around a large 12" scope + room for a desk, a few guests etc. Not only that BBQ, chairs, tables and other things live in there when not in use as an obsy!

24196987228_5c3aa875f2_b.jpg

24196990448_efcc085119_b.jpg

As a slight aside, don't forget that most off-the-shelf sheds will quote the external dimensions.  Depending on the design, the internal dimensions could easily be 6" smaller.  When I was looking I found more than one manufacturer whose quoted size was actually the size of the roof (including the overhang) !

10 hours ago, laser_jock99 said:

My 3m x 3m obsy has plenty of walk room around a large 12" scope + room for a desk, a few guests etc.

Lovely set up - seeing those excellent storages units in there had me looking around for a cooker hob and kitchen sink....

Archived