Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello Everyone

jRaskell

Greetings fellow stargazers.

I've been an intermittent, telescope-less stargazer for years now.  I take yearly week long canoe trips in Northern Maine (mainly the Allagash and St. John rivers), and there are some truly dark skies up there.  Always enjoyed admiring the night sky with the naked eye or a small set of binos up there.

I've contemplated buying a telescope for a long time, and finally took the plunge.  Well, maybe more of a wading through waist deep waters with a Meade Infinity 102mm.  I've had it out a couple nights now, but with the full moon and living near a city the seeing was less than ideal.  Still, I got some good lunar viewing in and was able to make out some of the Orion Nebula, it's four central stars quite distinct, and Andromeda's central core.  Barnard's loop was just not visible.    Pleiades was an easy find.  I tried for Bode's galaxy but was unable to find it, or it wasn't visible either.

My parents also live in central Maine, so have some pretty dark skies as well.  I'll be taking the scope with me when I go up for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Hoping for clear skies for the holidays.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived