Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alt-Azimuth mount for my Lunt LS50 ?

John

I've been using my newly acquired Lunt LS50Ha on my Skytee II mount on the Oberwerk hardwood tripod. Very stable but quite a weight for grab and go solar observing so I've been looking for something lighter for the little Lunt to ride on.

I'm wondering if the new Skywatcher AZ Pronto might be suitable ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-az-pronto-alt-azimuth-mount-tripod.html

I'm happy with manual slow motions rather than a driven mount. I guess the Vixen Mini-Porta might be suitable as well ?:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/vixen-mini-porta.html

Happy to hear other suggestions for a really portable mount for this nice scope :smiley:

Thanks !

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think @Helen tried the Pronto out John so may be able to advise.

I use an AZGTi which might be an option for a driven mount. The other options are the Giro-WR or mini-Giro but perhaps you prefer the mounts with slo mo controls?

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think @Helen tried the Pronto out John so may be able to advise.

I use an AZGTi which might be an option for a driven mount. The other options are the Giro-WR or mini-Giro but perhaps you prefer the mounts with slo mo controls?

Yes, I've used a Pronto head for solar and it works well.  I've also used the Vixen porta and really like that!  (in fact the idea of the Pronto being a more travel friendly version of the Porta was what attracted me!).  The weak point with the Pronto is the tripod, so I'd recommend a sturdier photo tripod instead.  If you aren't airline travelling and as the price is the same (they don't currently do the pronto as head only)  I'd probably go secondhand porta II over pronto.

Helen

I like my Vixen Porta II, but not so much for the Sun. 

With an EQ, when The Sun drifts out of view you just turn one knob to catch up with it, but with an alt-az you have to turn two knobs. How much of each depends how much the Sun moved and in which direction. Of course you get no visual clues until you've found it back. That can make it difficult.

A decent Sun finder would solve the problem. Maybe I should get one, but I use a small EQ mount for the Sun.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions folks :smiley:

I'll give it some more thought ..... I liked the Porta I when I had one and it carried my ED102SS F/6.5 refractor well. I'm sure it would cope with the little Lunt.

The Skytee II is rock solid and has slo mos but it's quite a lump when you want to deploy rapidly.

Hi John

I have a porta 2 and az gti. I do like the porta 2 with slo mo and find the tracking quite easy, but the az gti is a joy for solar viewing! (And night time viewing come to that!). 

My porta 2 is getting a bit dusty now...

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, iPeace said:

Any update? I've decided to try the AYO Vamo traveller.  :happy11:

I've not used my Lunt for a while so no progress here on this. I may not stick with Ha observing so I'll not be investing heavily in a mount.

10 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Well, that's news...

It's probably that the low Sun and the shaded nature of our garden has not made it possible to use the Lunt much. I've been very impressed with it when I have used it though. 

Designing an effective alt-az mount for solar ha is similar to any other scope, apart from one thing - once you have the target in view, nicely focused, well tuned, at right magnification, you then need to be able to move the disc around the fov to find the sweet spot, and to bring out different surface features. For that, slow-motion controls are particularly desirable. That's why I'm looking at the new AZ5 for solar, otherwise I'm sure the Porta 2 would also be excellent. 

53 minutes ago, John said:

Maybe an AZ-3 would do the trick ?. The LS50 is a short scope and the max magnification being used won't be that high.

It probably would be fine John, though I haven't used one myself. Payload is more than enough to handle an LS50. One thing worth bearing in mind - if you've ever thought you might buy a double stack filter (and you should ?) then that adds more weight to the scope. 

49 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

It probably would be fine John, though I haven't used one myself. Payload is more than enough to handle an LS50. One thing worth bearing in mind - if you've ever thought you might buy a double stack filter (and you should ?) then that adds more weight to the scope. 

Thanks Mark :smiley:

If the Ha bug takes hold I would consider a double stack but I'm not prepared to shell out a further £1200+ on the basis of 2 short sessions with the scope, so far !

In the past I've been rather ambivalent about solar viewing so I've not invested in more than a 1.25" Lunt HW for white light although I did have a PST for a short time a few years back. I'm hoping that the Lunt 50 will kindle a more in-depth interest than I've had in the past but we will see.

John I have wanted a lighter Alt/Az mount for my PST but also to handle my Heritage 130P.

I have a Celestron Astro Master Tripod which has been okay for the PST but not the Heritage - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/astromaster-tripod.html

So last week I modified this mount, removing the Head and replacing it with the AZ5 Head and Pillar. I have yet to give it a 'run out' but its light and I am really hopeful it will prove to be a very handy lightweight Alt/Az mount.

I would go for the AZ3 in your situation. Simple, light weight but an effective set up.  What else do you need in a mount. And considering the amount of time you use the mount up to now I cannot see the point in shelling out big bucks . The AZ 3 set up would suit your needs more than adequately IMO and at such sensible money new,which is always a bonus,  but if you can get a used one well they are great value     ?

I've seen a new ST80 on an AZ-3 for a touch under £100 which is quite tempting because I get a really "grab and go" nighttime / holiday package as well as a mount for the Lunt 50 :icon_scratch:

£50 for the scope, £50 for the AZ-3 - not bad perhaps ?

I maybe wrong in my view of an AZ3 but the one that I had was not that useful. Okay it might be useful for a solar scope but my experience was if you start to move it to the zenith the locking screws would not hold it. I tried different arrangements with a weight at the front but in the end I gave up.

This is my new Alt/Az set up for the PST+DS and the Heritage 130P.

AZ5 PST.jpg

That looks a nice setup Mark :smiley:

I've had an AZ-3 before (ages ago !) and I thought it OK with short tube scopes on board. Anything longer than 24 inches or too heavy and you do get issues though !

If I got another one I'd only use it with either the Lunt LS50 or an ST80.

I'm not in a hurry though so I may just hold back and see what comes up ! :smiley:

I had an AZ3. Awful, agricultural waste of space. The only reason for considering would be the slow mo controls.

The Lunt (even double stacked) weighs very little. So, slow mo convenience should be the defining factor. Grab’n’ Goability is key to enjoying fun Ha. My PST used to live on its mount/tripod in the corner of my study. Sun out! Scope Out! 15mins observing. Back to reality. Loved it!! Family / work seem to limit daytime hour long daytime observing slots.

Paul

52 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

I had an AZ3. Awful, agricultural waste of space. The only reason for considering would be the slow mo controls...

I rather liked mine. It did a good job with this :icon_biggrin:

c5az3.jpg

What about a photo tripod? Something around 2.5-3kg can be very sturdy for a 50mm scope, particularly as this will be used at low power. You could get a complete tripod + video head or use a light giro mount. 

My TV60 used to sit on a video tripod all the time (literally). I took the whole thing out to my garden with one arm and was ready to observe immediately. That's real grab 'n' go! :D 

Archived