Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

recommend me a heq5 pier adapter

iwols

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following a recommendation by another poster I use a suitably-sized brake disc with the correct diameter hub recess:

Google for "SUZUKI OPEL VAUXHALL 50357 Front 246.5mm Solid Brake Disc Coated Pagid"

This will need holes drilled to match the pier.  I don't use a North peg with it but that could also be added.

I've sprayed mine white to match. I can take some photos if that would be useful.

There doesn’t seem to be an off the shelf dedicated adapter these days for the HEQ5.  I have seen a photo of the old adapter where the middle recess is much deeper than the multi one they have for sale these days but that original  one doesn’t seem to be for sale any more. 

I don’t have engineering skills or the tools for making or adapting my own.  I  am hoping a friend can help me out with adapting another adapter.  

I have one of these and have used it for my HEQ5 Pro and now my AZ EQ6 GT.  One side fits the HEQ5 and the other the AZ EQ 6.  I use the north pin from my EQ6 tripod or you can make one from a threaded bolt.

https://www.altairastro.com/pier-adapter-skywatcher-celestron-ioptron-multi-mount.html

49 minutes ago, prusling said:

Following a recommendation by another poster I use a suitably-sized brake disc with the correct diameter hub recess:

SUZUKI OPEL VAUXHALL 50357 Front 246.5mm Solid Brake Disc Coated By Pagid

This will need holes drilled to match the pier.  I don't use a North peg with it but that could also be added.

I've sprayed mine white to match. I can take some photos if that would be useful.

URL not working for me @prusling 

Had a look online for dimensions, SGL thread here and a disc 

Disc.jpg

I have one of these and have used it for my HEQ5 Pro and now my AZ EQ6 GT.  One side fits the HEQ5 and the other the AZ EQ 6.  I use the north pin from my EQ6 tripod or you can make one from a threaded bolt.

https://www.altairastro.com/pier-adapter-skywatcher-celestron-ioptron-multi-mount.html

Ah, (light bulb moment) so when you say "one side", do you mean that you turn it upside down for the HEQ5?  If so they could have shown it in the photos - less confusing.  It would be helpful if Altair Astro would actually pick up the phone or reply to electronic messages (have sent two and no response) then if that were the case I would have known the answer.

Thanks

Carole 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Ah, (light bulb moment) so when you say "one side", do you mean that you turn it upside down for the HEQ5?  If so they could have shown it in the photos - less confusing.  It would be helpful if Altair Astro would actually pick up the phone or reply to electronic messages (have sent two and no response) then if that were the case I would have known the answer.

Thanks

Carole 

I've tried to contact Altair Astro on a few occasions and never managed it, don't bother with them any more, it's best to contact someone that supplies their stuff, at least they answer the phone :)

Dave

I've tried to contact Altair Astro on a few occasions and never managed it, don't bother with them any more, it's best to contact someone that supplies their stuff, at least they answer the phone :)

Ha ha.  That's exactly what I have just done Dave before I saw your message.  Trouble is many of their suppliers only advertise the pier and adapter together for an overall price.

Anyway, Telescope House are going to order one in for me and I am going to take my mount head over to them at Edenbridge and make sure it will fit before I pay for it.  But they have to order it themselves from Altair.

Yes I try to avoid ordering from AA for that reason, can't knock their products but they must lose loads of Trade because of their customer service.    

Carole 

Re my brake disc based solution, sorry for the bad link - I've edited the post to include a Google search phrase instead. I chose the outer diameter to match my pier.

I use an EQ6 adaptor plate that came with the pier to brace the mounting bolt below the brake disk (see photo) but any other suitable brace across the disk would do.

I used a local wrought iron fabricator to drill the holes for a smallish charge.

As it is a static rig I polar align (very rarely!) by slackening off the mount on the pier and re-tightening it after rotating it to the correct Az.

P1060431.JPG

As it is a static rig I polar align (very rarely!) by slackening off the mount on the pier and re-tightening it after rotating it to the correct Az.

Looks good for a permanent set up, but not practical without the peg if you are taking the mount off regularly to go to astro camps.

Carole 

I purchased the Altair Astro for my pier, as far as I know it fits the HEQ5, EQ6 and my AZ-EQ6-GT, if you turn it over there are difference depths, slots and peg holes.

When I fitted mine I loosely bolted the adapter in place, fitted the mount and scope on a clear night and made sure the AZ bolts were evenly tightened, I then used my Polemaster to Polar Align and locked everything in place, works absolutely perfectly.

Pier in place.jpg

4 hours ago, carastro said:

Ha ha.  That's exactly what I have just done Dave before I saw your message.  Trouble is many of their suppliers only advertise the pier and adapter together for an overall price.

Anyway, Telescope House are going to order one in for me and I am going to take my mount head over to them at Edenbridge and make sure it will fit before I pay for it.  But they have to order it themselves from Altair.

Yes I try to avoid ordering from AA for that reason, can't knock their products but they must lose loads of Trade because of their customer service.    

Carole 

hi carole what was you quoted?

Archived