SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone able to provide HEQ5 Pro Pier schematics?

Hi there,

I spoke to Gary1968 today about making a pier adapter for a HEQ5 Pro and he gave me a very good price. However my nosey neighbour:p (retired engineer) said he'd like to try and make me one as he is bored (i've got plenty of jobs he can do if he's that bored!).

Anyway I thought if he's offering I'd let him take a shot, however I have no schematics and I would consider it rude to ask Gary....Can anyone help out?

I'm not sure on the pier design as yet....either a soil pipe filled with Concrete or a steel pipe from the scrappy.

Many thanks

If he's a retired engineer then he should be able to work it out for himself. If you follow traditional twin plate design, one disk with 6 x 12mm holes spaced at 60 degrees arc, then the top plate with 3 x 12mm holes spaced at 120 degrees. The top plate needs to be deep enough (>20mm) to be bored out to take the extrusion at the bottom of the EQ5 / HEQ5 mount.

Thanks Malcolm. Yes you are probably right he should be able to manufacture it without plans, the trouble is that I have not purchased the heq5 pro yet so he's only seen a picture and therefore has no measurements to work from.

Thanks again for the measurements.

Regards

Craig

All you need to know is that you need a blind hole 60mm in diameter and 20mm deep, this should have a central through hole, 12mm diameter. The only other measurement is for the azimuth pin. This should be 37.5mm from the center and 25mm tall, about 8x8mm sixe (this is a cast lug on the tripod head so measurement is difficult, I have made two of these pier tops and on each I had to file the azimuth lug to fit as the inside of the casting of the mount will foul a simple straight 25mm pillar).

The picture shows my own puck which has an oversize central through hole!

post-17157-133877761819_thumb.jpg

Thanks Malcolm. Yes you are probably right he should be able to manufacture it without plans, the trouble is that I have not purchased the heq5 pro yet so he's only seen a picture and therefore has no measurements to work from.

Thanks again for the measurements.

Regards

Craig

Here is a rough sketch - however I would suggest you have him make the adapter once you have the mount, so he can take any additional measurements he may need. Here's a rough drawing based on my adapter. As Biz stated, provided there is a 60mm x 20mm deep hole with an M12 hole in the middle, the rest is really cosmetic.

post-23388-133877762195_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, this info is much appreciated, I have just this minute purchased the Skywatcher 200P HEQ5 Pro from 365 Astronomy as FLO had no stock until the end of April beginning of May.

Thanks again and I'm sure i'll be in touch soon with more questions once the package arrives.

• 4 months later...

Hi all, My obsey is well under way (pics etc in my other post), I was wondering if someone with a Skywatcher 200P HEQ5 Pro can give me the height measurements from the mount base to the top of the scope when it is in the home or horizontal position. I am a step or so away from fixing my pier into position, but I want to make sure I have a tall enough pipe.

Before someone says 'why don't you measure it yourself?' the answer is thus - it is all boxed up and sealed as it arrived, I have refrained from unpacking it whilst I finished a big list of other jobs before starting my build. I did not want to start playing with it until it had a nice home for it :grin:.

The pier mount I have is one which Gary1968 sold me -post-22546-0-66954700-1347468279_thumb.j

My inside floor height to the top of the sides of the shed is 6ft.

thanks guys.....

Hi all, My obsey is well under way (pics etc in my other post), I was wondering if someone with a Skywatcher 200P HEQ5 Pro can give me the height measurements from the mount base to the top of the scope when it is in the home or horizontal position. I am a step or so away from fixing my pier into position, but I want to make sure I have a tall enough pipe.

Before someone says 'why don't you measure it yourself?' the answer is thus - it is all boxed up and sealed as it arrived, I have refrained from unpacking it whilst I finished a big list of other jobs before starting my build. I did not want to start playing with it until it had a nice home for it :grin:.

The pier mount I have is one which Gary1968 sold me -post-22546-0-66954700-1347468279_thumb.j

My inside floor height to the top of the sides of the shed is 6ft.

thanks guys.....

UPDATE: I've unboxed the mount and scope, with the pier adapter i've measured 22inches. I've made my pier 4ft from floor to top, so that gives me a few inches to spare from the top of the scope to the roof....

Archived