Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A choice between three binoculars...

mikey2000

I quite fancy a set of portable binoculars to take to places where I might not necessarily bring the 150PDS.  Eg on holiday, visiting pals.    Nothing too serious really.  I'd also use them for some lightweight browsing of the heavens while my scope is tied up with imaging.  10x50s seem about right for what I can reasonably hand hold (I used some 9x50s quite easily) although I do have a fairly high camera tripod that I could possibly use.

I wear glasses and have a moderate astigmatism so I'd probably have to keep the specs on while using the binoculars.  They won't be used in bad weather, probably only under clear skies with maybe a bit of dew forming from time to time.

I stumbled across Opticron as potentially favourable manufacturer but I'm struggling to appreciate what the real difference is between these three sets for

£79   https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-adventurer-10x50-t-wp-binocular.html

£129 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-50mm-binoculars.html

Both comfortably in budget.

Then there are these upgraded ones:

£179 (reduced from £229)  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/opticron-binoculars/opticron-srga-50mm-binoculars.html

Would I really notice the difference in these three sets?

Any advice appreciated..

Personally I'd go for the latter!

The former two options talk about the mechanics but tell you almost nothing about the optics. The latter, more expensive option however, focuses on the high optical quality of the binocular and that's where its strength lies. I haven't used any of these binoculars, but you can tell a lot about a binocular or telescope by the information that is missing from the info box.

I have not used any of these specific models, but have used Opticron binos (my main astro bino is a Trailfinder T3 8x56, an excellent bino with great eye relief, but sadly discontinued) for a while and rate them highly.

Of the three you mention, Steve Tonkin has reviewed both the Adventurer and the Imagic (8x42 model) and both came out excellently. I doubt the SR.GA model would let you down either, but the difference is probably fairly subtle.

Billy.

I've found all Opticron products o be of good quality and value. For casual use and particularly for terrestrial purposes an 8x40 might serve you better, lighter and easier to hold steady. These days, I personally would not pay more than £20 for a hand held binocular for astronomy, for me at least, the extra quality of more expensive versions is wasted due to movement. I recently cobbled up a 8x50 binocular with 90 degree angled eyepieces, the view tripod mounted is very enjoyable.  :icon_biggrin:

I have the iMagic 10x42s, great binos. I used to have the Williams Optics 10x50EDs and optically there is no doubt they were better, but HEAVY, marginal eye relief (for me) and much more expensive - as you would expect. The iMagics are more comfortable to use, lighter, better eye relief and the optics, for the price, are excellent.

21 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I've been looking at these too for similar reasons. There's a great review for them by @BinocularSky here:

http://binocularsky.com/reviews/Opticron_Adventurer_T_WP_10x50.pdf

I purchased a pair of these based on that review. Not disappointed. Used them whist on holiday with a basic tripod and was very impressed. In my opinion, an absolute bargain :-)

Consider using a binocular mirror-mount. There's no vibration and no neck ache either. I've made several over the years and find them very comfortable to use. They give an inverted image, but so does a Newtonian reflector and nobody moans about that!

First-surface mirrors can be obtained at: www.scientificmirrors.co.uk .

I have not used either brands mentioned but I use a pair of Celestrons 15x70s' mounted on a tripod . Works very well for great viewing as long as they are on my tripod . Does produce some CA on bright objects but wife gave them to me for a Christmas present back a few years ago : https://www.celestron.com/products/skymaster-15x70-binocular   .

Couple years ago I bought her some Vortex Diamond Back 8x42s' and she has really enjoyed them and give good views of the night sky . Not sure if they are available where you are located tho and cost is a bit more but well worth the price : http://www.cabelas.com/product/VORTEX-DIAMONDBACK-BINOCULARS/2290271.uts

.....late again! but when I was on the lookout for some 10x50s the Opticron iMagic 10x50's were on my list.
In the end I went for the Strathspey marine 10x50s for their durability and spec. They have IF (Individual Focus) which may not suit some folk, but the depth of view with these optics is stunning. http://www.strathspey.co.uk/shop/M10x50.html

I received both the 7x50 and 10x50's returning the 7x50's only because my present Helios 8x40's have a wider field of view, otherwise I would have easily kept both pairs. 

Well, I had a sudden windfall and in a moment of madness ordered the most expensive of the three.

They arrived just in time for clouds to spoil the party. (This is a phenomenom I have learned to expect upon the purchase of new gear)

Initial impressions are good, from just looking out of the window with them.  Well built and a nice clear (edge to edge) view and a glorious 3d feel when looking at the treeline across the street.  

I was surprised to find I don't need to adjust focus much when using with or without glasses.  My 150PDS demands big adjustments when I take the glasses off.  Maybe things will be different when I try focusing on stars 'at inifinity'...

No tripod adapter in the package (as expected) but hey ho, I'll cobble something together.

On 11/09/2017 at 14:30, billyharris72 said:

I have not used any of these specific models, but have used Opticron binos (my main astro bino is a Trailfinder T3 8x56, an excellent bino with great eye relief, but sadly discontinued) for a while and rate them highly.

Of the three you mention, Steve Tonkin has reviewed both the Adventurer and the Imagic (8x42 model) and both came out excellently. I doubt the SR.GA model would let you down either, but the difference is probably fairly subtle.

Billy.

I bought from FLO a pair of Celelestron Nature DX 8x56 which have good eye relief and perform well. They are compact being roof prism and waterproof, love 'em!

54 minutes ago, 25585 said:

I bought from FLO a pair of Celelestron Nature DX 8x56 which have good eye relief and perform well. They are compact being roof prism and waterproof, love 'em!

Funny, 8x56s are my main bins as well, though in my case they're Opticron Trailfinder WPs. Also roofs, and quite a narrow field (6 degrees) but great eye relief and good image from edge to edge. I wouldn't be without them, though with hindsight I probably overdid with a 7mm exit pupil.

Well, I had first light on the new bins (the opticron Opticron SR.GA 50mm 10x50s).   Bearing in mind, I only have my telescope for comparison...  I was very very pleased.  A wide enough FOV to find things easily and not too shaky (I will work up a tripod mount eventually).  I had an exceptionally clear night (my iPhone Dark Sky Meter registered 21.67, way better than my usual 20-something score) and M31 was an easy find and Hercules' great cluster didn't take long to spot.  Then the Pleiades popped up.  Very pleasing to view!

Easy to focus and no problem viewing with or without glasses.  I probably slightly prefer the view with glasses off but it's a pain to try and find things then when not looking through the binoculars - the sky is just a mush until I but my specs back on.  So here, glasses-on is a winner down to sheer convenience.

I'm going to enjoy these :-)

Archived