Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

Thanks Ray. 

I'm insulating the warm room so the membrane will help there. The scope room probably won't be insulated but here the membranes function will be to stop water penetration in the event of the cladding being breached ( which I think is a distinct possibility st some point !). 

4 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Ray. 

I'm insulating the warm room so the membrane will help there. The scope room probably won't be insulated but here the membranes function will be to stop water penetration in the event of the cladding being breached ( which I think is a distinct possibility st some point !). 

Exactly that, Kev.  It is simply another layer to prevent water etc. working its way in where it isn't wanted and, when considered against the overall cost, it's almost a no-brainer.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Ray. 

You actually dont want to insulate the scope room or you will lose one of the benefits of an obsy, no cool down time. 

• Like 1

Well, I've run out of patience (plus I've been in need of some retail therapy) so have ordered the cladding! Delivery Monday.

On another front, I've been struggling to find anyone who stocks wooden door sills. How crazy is that! The only local merchant didn't carry stock but could get them to order. So, left my details for him to confirm pricing etc, and did he get back to me? No chance. Have chased them up today.

In more domestic news, I've been trying to get a plumber / bathroom-fitter to replace 2 showers due water penetrating behind the tiles, and the whole shower needs ripping out and replacing. Not a complex job I wouldn't have thought for a bathroom-fitter. The first local plumber promised me a quote and after chasing him 3 times he eventually produced one for silly money. The second and third appeared really keen and took measurements, details etc, promising me quotes and brochures. This is the last I've heard from them. The fourth hasn't got back to me after ringing him 3 times and leaving voicemail messages.

Tradesmen - it's probably against SGL rules for me to say what I think of them at the moment.

Seems no one wants your money these days.  Right, rant over!  Back to some more astro retail therapy.....

21 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Tradesmen - it's probably against SGL rules for me to say what I think of them at the moment.

Seems no one wants your money these days.  Right, rant over!  Back to some more astro retail therapy.....

I've been trying for almost a year to get some roughcast repaired / replaced on my chimney.

Same thing, had five people up all promissing to send quotes...nothing !!

I understand that coming up to view and price a job may end up in you not getting the work (and is unpaid time spent away from actual paying work) but at least send the quote after you've been ?

I don't get it either ?

Neil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smudgeball said:

I've been trying for almost a year to get some roughcast repaired / replaced on my chimney.

Same thing, had five people up all promissing to send quotes...nothing !!

I understand that coming up to view and price a job may end up in you not getting the work (and is unpaid time spent away from actual paying work) but at least send the quote after you've been ?

I don't get it either ?

Neil

...or, have the guts to say they're not interested in the job, rather than leaving those in need expecting a quote they will never receive. 

OK so my cladding is arriving tomorrow. 20mm x 135mm finished size. Just realised I don't have any nails to put it up. D'oh...

I'm going for 50mm stainless ring shank, but they come in different thicknesses.

Maybe a stupid question, but can anyone who's used them recommend which may be best out of - 2.65mm vs. 3.35mm or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks

Capture.JPG

Edited by Astrokev

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

Right, just waiting for the nails to arrive ? 

IMG_2690.jpg

seriously cover that and leave it to rest for a couple of weeks before you put it on or you can end up with all sorts of issues with shrinkage. 

1 hour ago, smudgeball said:

Have you got enough ?

All worked out in SketchUp and then added a contingency, so I hope so! 

There are a few duff lengths so hopefully can hide these in places that won't get noticed!

9 minutes ago, Adam J said:

seriously cover that and leave it to rest for a couple of weeks before you put it on or you can end up with all sorts of issues with shrinkage. 

Yeah thanks. I'll certainly leave it for a while. I've still got to do the door lining and a few other bits first. 

Although it's treated, I'll probably treat it again on the reverse side and let that start to dry off before I put it up. 

I would suggest drilling for the nails- maybe drill 3mm for the 3.5mm size.  The nails will still grip but you won't split the timber and it won't split later either.  Those SS annular ring nails are real devils to remove!!  By the way drilling also helps keep the nails going in straight and you get far fewer "bendy" ones.  You can pre-drill quite a few planks at one go then spend a happy ten minutes annoying the neighbours whilst you bash 'em in with an 'ammer???  (Nails that is not neighbours!!).

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Right, just waiting for the nails to arrive ? 

IMG_2690.jpg

I would concentrate on getting your plumbing problems sorted first.

We can all see the outside bath and the bedpan ( next to the beer bottles ) that you are having to use.

Sort your priorities out Kev.......?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Kev M said:

We can all see the outside bath and the bedpan ( next to the beer bottles ) that you are having to use.

Oh well spotted, the secrets out in the open now.......?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

I would suggest drilling for the nails- maybe drill 3mm for the 3.5mm size.  The nails will still grip but you won't split the timber and it won't split later either.  Those SS annular ring nails are real devils to remove!!  By the way drilling also helps keep the nails going in straight and you get far fewer "bendy" ones.  You can pre-drill quite a few planks at one go then spend a happy ten minutes annoying the neighbours whilst you bash 'em in with an 'ammer???  (Nails that is not neighbours!!).

Thanks. Yes I was thinking of drilling. Had previous bad experience with shiplap!

I decided on the 2.65mm SS nails in the end. Will try a single nail so the board has some room to expand slightly which will also help reduce risk of splitting (and is cheaper on the nails ?). 

32 minutes ago, Kev M said:

Haha, LOL. 

Well spotted!  That was our old roll top Victorian bath from a few years back. Took it out when we had the "new" bathroom extension, though I'm tempted to restore and reinstall it!

I've given up hope on getting anyone to sort my showers out. Decided to rip it out myself, assess the damage, then see if I can get someone to fit new. I suspect they may be being put-off At the moment by not knowing what may be lurking behind the tiles ?.

I must check the background in future pics just in case ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's not much progress, but it is progress!

Not screwed finally into position yet as I need to treat the wood with preserver.

Just need to get a door sill (which it seems is more difficult in Bedfordshire than finding unicorn tears at the end of  the rainbow). May end up making my own.

Next job is to sort out the cladding, by quality, and then start painting with preserver. Went for Barrettine's in the end from Wood Finishes Direct, which seems good stuff at a great price.

IMG_2763.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Looking good Kev. With a bank holiday to help you progress.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Everyday is a bank holiday for me nowadays!

Makes me wonder what I do with my time though - I never seem to have enough to myself!

Monday is a big family BBQ day, so the weekend is largely being spent cleaning, tidying and getting stuff for this.  Hoping to start on the cladding next week unless the time-bandits steal it away from me. After that it's preparing and going to Kelling Heath for several days, so won't get much done that week. Soon be Christmas......