Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrokev's ROR - The Build

Astrokev

2 hours ago, Kev M said:

I think it looks quite nice....very well painted as well

Thanks Kev.  No, I'm afraid it has to go!

A great lesson to all of the importance of trying a small test area first. I shouldn't have been so hasty.

So, after much head scratching at my local B&Q I chose a few colours for testing -

From L to R - Willow, Natural Stone, Pale Jasmine (current colour), Olive Garden. These are propped up against my garden cabin for comparison. As you can see the cabin is in need of a fresh paintjob, but it's clear I painted it in Stone and Willow, and we were very happy with the result. That said, having now sampled the Olive green, I think I prefer that over Willow.

So, at the moment I'm leaning towards Stone for the walls, and Olive for the accents.  However, I'm tempted to try Olive as the main wall colour...….

IMG_3286.jpg

1 hour ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

And what does the BOSS say ??

Sadly, I am the Boss, that's the problem, although my adult children were very keen to tell me their opinions. These went along the lines of - "it would look nice with plants growing in front of it".

Say no more - very diplomatic!

• Haha 1

Just remember, the darker the colour you apply, the greater the potential to get hotter under the sun, lengthening cooldown times etc., as well as the deleterious effects on the paintwork itself, reducing its 'lifespan' and could cause warping of the timbers....

But then again this is the UK....

Kev, I am currently ensconced in Stoke Mandeville Hospital recovering from 7 broken ribs acquired during a stupid mountain biking session last Tuesday evening. This has give me the time to binge read both yours and JamesF's threads. Time very well spent?

A cracking build. Gives me some food for thought.

1 hour ago, Swoop1 said:

Kev, I am currently ensconced in Stoke Mandeville Hospital recovering from 7 broken ribs acquired during a stupid mountain biking session last Tuesday evening. This has give me the time to binge read both yours and JamesF's threads. Time very well spent?

A cracking build. Gives me some food for thought.

Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Hope you're on good pain relief. Oramorph is good stuff if you can get it prescribed. Wishing you a swift recovery, but sounds like a long haul. 

Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully you'll be out of hospital way before the build us finished!

Edited by Astrokev

Having breakfast this morning.... This shot nicely shows just how bright the observatory is!!

I literally had spots before my eyes after looking out the window. Where did I leave my sunglasses....  ?

EDIT - it was a late breakfast today ?

IMG_3288.jpg

Edited by Astrokev
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Just remember, the darker the colour you apply, the greater the potential to get hotter under the sun, lengthening cooldown times etc., as well as the deleterious effects on the paintwork itself, reducing its 'lifespan' and could cause warping of the timbers....

But then again this is the UK....

Good point Julian.

This got me thinking, and I decided to do a simple experiment. After a bit of searching I found my old thermocouple and thought it would be interesting to check the difference in temp of the different colours. So, after leaving the samples propped against the observatory in full sun for a short time, here're the results. Although somewhat predictable, the difference is quite striking!

The Stone colour was c. 10deg C hotter than ambient, with the Olive a whopping 13.5deg C hotter.  It would be interesting, and possibly a bit scary, to conduct the experiment on a hot day!

This has finalised my decision. Whilst I'm definitely tempted with painting the walls Olive, I'm afraid it's gonna have to be Stone (with Olive accents!). Just need to sand the walls down and clean my brush...

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3295.jpg

IMG_3297.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm genuinely surprised by how big a difference that makes.  Makes it quite clear what was happening when the observatory looked so bright this morning.

James

Absolutely.

I couldn't resist having a play in Photoshop though. My daughter is trying to convince me to go with the Olive! Maybe with wall insulation to stop the interior getting too hot, then all I have to worry about is the wood warping?

EDIT - Although, with a dark grey rubber roof, the walls are likely to contribute relatively little in comparison. When I put the rubber on the "warm room" in full sun it was too hot to stand on it in bare feet.

IMG_3291.jpg

shed 2 copy.jpg

shed 1 copy.jpg

Edited by Astrokev

10 C difference seems excessive. Have you tried measuring behind each panel? My guess is that there won't be much of a difference there. Although you may need larger sample boards to get reliable results.

• Like 1