Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I don't really need another 120mm refractor ......

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, iPeace said:

I may be missing something. If our local skies are not good enough for bigger scopes, and truly good skies don't require bigger scopes, then...

:huh2:

Not quite as simple as that unfortunately....

Truly dark skies benefit any scope, but really big scopes really fly under the darkest skies.

Around the 130 to 140mm refractor can give lovely planetary images even under our sorts of skies providing you have reasonable seeing.

Under the best skies, such as dry deserts at high altitude, people seem to be able to use crazy high magnifications like x600, something we can only dream of here.

10 minutes ago, iPeace said:

I may be missing something. If our local skies are not good enough for bigger scopes, and truly good skies don't require bigger scopes, then...

:huh2:

This is a sound reasoning for one's wallet, but unsound for one's heart! :) 

1 hour ago, nightfisher said:

So this Tak is 120mm aperture with 900mm focal length, used price £2600 compared to a used ED120 900mm f/l..................throwing a big spanner in the works but i really do wonder if it would be any where near £2000 better than the humble ED120.

I agree! ???

The differences between the Tak FSA120 and the Skywatcher ED120 would most likely be:

- The Tak will be 100% colour free on every target both at focus and either side of it.

- The Tak will retain the composure (for the want of a better word) at very high magnifications a bit better than the ED120 will.

- The Tak may take a little longer to cool and might require a more sturdy mount.

- The fit and finish of the Tak will be top drawer.

Now what are those differences worth in £'s :icon_scratch:

I guess I could have bought a Skywatcher ED100 rather than my Tak FC-100DL last year and had broadly similar differences.

3 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Following this thread with interest.  Lots of angles the posts are coming from. 

My wallet is safe and well and will be staying that way. Happy to stick with my current kit. 

Regards  John

My wallet has become entirely useless, but I find myself spending on lighter, more compact kit I can drag around the planet more easily.

:happy11:

TAC 100mm is the sweet spot for me. Relatively kind on the mount. Portable, does a bit of everything, too build etc etc...

Not sure that I would bother with Big Fracs. Not when there are Big Dobs in the world!!!!???

Paul

Thankfully this scope is so out my league I would need a TSA120 to even see the league :lol:....I'll have a little Tak 60 or 76 at least one day! :) 

Not even sure the above makes sense....but you get the idea.

I am very tempted, my mount handles up to 9kg a side which isn't helping :happy7: and I would need to sell my 110mm first .... I would like the seller to answer my e-mail and so far the lack of a response has put me off a little.

10 minutes ago, Pig said:

I am very tempted, my mount handles up to 9kg a side which isn't helping :happy7: and I would need to sell my 110mm first .... I would like the seller to answer my e-mail and so far the lack of a response has put me off a little.

I got radio silence too, Shaun :rolleyes2:

25 minutes ago, DRT said:

I got radio silence too, Shaun :rolleyes2:

Strange...maybe he is away from home !!!! :happy7: or the Mrs is making him sell it and he is telling her he has had no replies :happy7:

5 hours ago, Pig said:

I received a voice mail from the seller yesterday and he told me the scope has been sold :happy7: It think it was really kind of him to let me know.

I got an email from the seller today to say the same. :smile:

So.

Who was it? Own up!

And, who now really wishes that they had hit buy?

That'll be 40 nights of cloud & rain.

I resisted a rather nice eyepiece in the classifieds the other week. Very pleased with myself. Then it appeared on a popular auction site. Now on its way to me - willpower crumbled like a soggy ginger-nut. I'm so ashamed of myself......

Paul

Archived