Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter 8th April

neil phillips

Hi Guys, good to be back posting on here. I have done no astronomy at all for sometime. The winter was off putting. But I intend to try more now the weather is turning for the better. Took some lunar and then Jupiter later on the 8th April. Seeing was very wobbly on the moon. Not sure the 245 mm Orion Newt was cool enough. Seeing fair at best on Jupiter. Transparency was quite bad affecting my ability to get fast frame rates and a healthy signal. But there was moments detail was trying to come through. The levels were going up and down a lot during the captures. I could have spent more time balancing the animation, But life's too short. These are captured with the Altair Astro Hypercam 224C and Altair ADC. Images are downsized from capture size

00:31 UT

58ecfbe94bb5e_0012.31UTApril8thdownsized2.png.d6739b76e125d769416e4d478fb3f6a7.png

58ed0164c4b8f_A_pippJupiter8thAprilc.gif.494a09094d35b2c55a040fc541dd322b.gif

Welcome back posting again Neil, nicely processed as always, theres still time conditions permitting to grab some half decent shots I think!

As you say at this elevation seeing is a big factor, finding the C9 easier to work with than the 12" at the moment, so will be using it for the next few sessions, as on a good night I know it can deliver

Cheers Grant

4 hours ago, si@nite said:

Welcome back posting again Neil, nicely processed as always, theres still time conditions permitting to grab some half decent shots I think!

As you say at this elevation seeing is a big factor, finding the C9 easier to work with than the 12" at the moment, so will be using it for the next few sessions, as on a good night I know it can deliver

Its good having a lighter, faster to cool scope at the ready, isn't it Simon. There's many times I don't want to lug the SW 12" Out. Its one heavy scope. More temperamental too. Harder to get thermally stable. I cooled here for around a hour with two fans on the Orion. Longer of course by the time I got into the later captures. This just wouldn't work full stop for the 12" Its something you need to invest time and attention too to get the best. So I get you using the smaller scope.  Sometimes its just more suited to the moment

Hi Pete I could tell stars were twinkling most times I looked during the winter. Sometimes you just need time out. So a good time to give it a miss it seems. Seeing is worse around here in winter. Much more consistently. Now is the time to get out there I think. Next year we are into major blur elevations. Its going south for a long time.

Nice to see you back to some imaging Neil. These are very nice with your usual fine processing skills on display. It's a real challenge now for us in the north isn't it!!. I've not done any planetary for ages but did have a bash last weekend. Still processing so may post something in the next few days.

Pete

3 minutes ago, theo said:

Nice to see you back to some imaging Neil. These are very nice with your usual fine processing skills on display. It's a real challenge now for us in the north isn't it!!. I've not done any planetary for ages but did have a bash last weekend. Still processing so may post something in the next few days.

Pete

Cheers Pete. Look forward to seeing what you got with the 12"

Nice to see some more images from you Neil. Such a shame we are just not going to get the quality of image we were getting just a couple of years ago. Same with Saturn and things aren't going to improve for a good few years yet.

Good to see the OO back in service and delivering some very decent images/animation.     Looks like you had pretty even seeing over the course of the animation, hoping we get a few more calm evenings this season!

Archived