Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Haha ! Think I got Venus from a less common location?

MrManQ

Not been around the forum for a while, but have been keeping my head tilting back.

I flew back from fuertevenura yesterday and at 710pm I was over Exeter, northbound to Manchester. 

I opened the blind and was amazed at the dusk view and was equally amazed at being able to see the curvature of the Earth.... Even if it was ever so slightly.

I took a photo with my Nexus 6P, thinking "cool... I got a star in on the deal."

I've just loaded up stallarium and wound back, faced West and boom, I've only gone and captured Venus.... Cheeky little minx.... Or at least I'm sure I have done, I think it's brighter than Mars at this time? Took a good few shots to get the, then thought, star as clear as possible.

So anyway, here is my original photo with the annoying, unavoidable reflections from the cabin window.   And then there's the same photo with the assistance of some light adjustments on the same phone.

Please remember, I was capturing a nice view more so then trying to astrophotographise :)

How pretty though?

Edit: added stallarium view too.

IMG_20170305_185401.jpg

IMG_20170305_185253~2.jpg

Screenshot_20170306-214852.png

5 hours ago, David Levi said:

Is this really Venus? The last time I looked at Venus was about 3 weeks ago and it was a crescent then.

Yes.  Bear in mind it's on a phone camera, through two sheets of toughened, weathered window glass.

It's by no means ideal enough to avoid distortion of both shape and colour.

It was the only thing I could see in the West, and Venus is our brightest thing in the night sky at the moment.

Archived