SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stop the rollercoaster, I want to get off!

Stu

My kit rollercoaster ride has been a bit crazy but seems to be reaching a pause at least...... hopefully I've finished for the moment, but inevitably I'm sure there will be more changes in future!

Thinking finances were more stable, I rashly purchased two scopes I've wanted to own for a long time, a Skywatcher MN190 with Moonlite upgrade, and an Orion Optics VX12L f5.3 1/8th wave dob.

Unfortunately money has remained tighter than expected, and the reality is that with a near three year old and two other teenage children I just don't have the time or energy currently to use them all. The MN190 went to good home a few weeks ago, virtually unused by me, and I have recently dropped the dob off with Steve (Sanganite) who will hopefully have some great times with it.

My intention now is to focus on solar observing most of the time at home, with the odd club night doing astro and then either star parties or camping holidays to get somewhere dark.

My lineup is:

C9.25
This is a 'dog rescue' scope ;), basically an insurance write off which I fixed up and seems perfectly useable now. The collimation needs a final tweek but it's pretty good. Given its low resale value, I am considering doing some radical cooling mods to it to see whether I can reduce the tube currents I regularly see in order to tighten the star shapes up.

OMC140
Purchased used, this is a very nice example with at least 1/6th wave Optics, possibly better, and hilux coatings. It is airline portable and I'm keen to see how it fairs for planetary observing, as it should be pretty good. To be able to fly this scope 'down south' somewhere dark and with the planets at higher altitude would be great!

Vixen 102mm f9 Fluorite
This will have a Feathertouch upgrade as soon as it arrives! FT seem keen to make me wait on this one unfortunately. A lovely scope, which I really should put side by side with the Tak to compare it, but actually I just enjoy owning such a classic. I've heard that it's comparable with the Tak FC100DL, which would be pretty amazing. I've yet to have the sky conditions to test it properly.

Tak FC100DC
Again with FT upgrade, this is the only scope I purchased new (and which I still own). Needs no introduction really, airline portable and very light so sits on my lightest mount very easily. My Baader Zeiss Mark 4 Binoviewer works beautifully with the Herschel Wedge in this scope, the views are amazing.

Vixen 102mm f10 PST Mod

For solar Ha I have this very nice Vixen 102mm f10 PST mod from Peter Drew, currently on evaluation until I get some decent sunshine through it, but from the brief glimpses I've had so far it looks very good. Once I have 2" capability on the Vixen f9, it will be fab to have these two side by side as below. I have acquired a nice Antares Binoviewer to use with this setup with some Celestron Omni 40 and 32mm Plossls.

Mount wise, I have an AZEQ5 which will take anything I have, say the C9.25 and Tak for Astro or the two Vixens side by side for Ha and white light with the Baader Wedge. This is permanently setup under a Telegizmo cover which does a great job. It is mounted on an EQ6 tripod with full pillar extension to get some height over the surround fences and trees at home. I also have the AZEQ5 tripod with additional pillar which I use for grab and go, and I want to start using SkyFi with it, and picked up a GPS 'mouse' for when I take it away.

I have a Vixen GP mount with MT1 motors for planetary or solar observing in a more portable fashion with a single scope, and am looking to be able to put this on the Gitzo tripod to add more portability. I'm due to receive a Berlebach adaptor from FLO soon so should be able to try this out. EDIT Adaptor arrived today, looks ideal!

I've just acquired a Vixen Manual clutch, with another on its way so I can also easily use the mount without power, and without having to disengage the motors. My long bendy control rods will be handy in this instance :)

Finally I have the Giro-WR for ultra portable use. I have upgraded the alt axis on this so it should take a heavy load, and on the Gitzo tripod I will be able to mount the C925 and Tak side by side when I head somewhere dark. A great portable setup. I have added a homemade pillar to this so that the scopes clear the tripod at the zenith and observing is more comfortable.

Eyepiece wise I am very lean currently. Basically I have a full set of BGOs, a 24mm Panoptic, a 3 to 6mm Nagler Zoom and a few nice barlows i.e. An AP Barcon, a Zeiss Abbé Barlow and a Baader VIP. For binoviewing I have the 40 and 32mm Omni Plossls for solar Ha and a lovely pair of Zeiss 25mm Orthos for white light. These Barlow up to x4 very well and the high power white light views are lovely.

Just to give Derek a laugh at my professions of leanness, I had forgotten about the 2" kit i.e. The 40mm 68 degree TMB, ES30mm 82 degree and ES20mm 100 degree. These are largely for use either in the C925 at home, or the Tak at dark sites.

So, that's my kit as it stands. The only other project I have in mind is to use the 10" f4.8 Orion Optics mirror set I have to build a Sumerian style ultra portable dob, ideally airline portable. That's a bit of a long term one though....

EDIT How could I forget, I've also got a lovely little TAL Alcor, 65mm Newtonian which has very sharp Optics. Intended for my little girl when she gets big enough :) 

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, John said:

Interesting Stu.

If downsizing means 5 fine scopes and excellent 1.25" and 2" eyepieces then I'm running lean as well :icon_biggrin:

Ah yes, if you look at it like that then my perspective is perhaps a little warped ;) 

Collecting is expensive. I dont just mean astro gear.

My small collection of meteorites......500 euros.

My collection of Star Wars helmets (only half way through the collection)......500 euros (1k by the time i have them all).

I like what i like, and thankfully its not a huge financial burden. Small amounts of cash every now and then.

Rugby jersey's............70 euros each. I have about 10.

My dog will be eating beans on toast for months ,LOL.

Looking on the bright side. Once the kit is purchased, other than Jaffa Cakes, astronomy has zero running costs!

ES30mm 82°! Lean??? That is the biggest eyepiece I've ever owned!

Interesting that the Panoptic 24mm is the only green & black to survive the full.

There is plenty of fun to be had with that gear. Under no circumstances let me look through you PST mod.

Paul

4 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Looking on the bright side. Once the kit is purchased, other than Jaffa Cakes, astronomy has zero running costs!

ES30mm 82°! Lean??? That is the biggest eyepiece I've ever owned!

Interesting that the Panoptic 24mm is the only green & black to survive the full.

There is plenty of fun to be had with that gear. Under no circumstances let me look through you PST mod.

Paul

Thankfully, i am not a fan of Jaffa Cakes (are they cakes or biscuits?). They confuse me.

Stu, you can't stop, you're my justification 'At least I don't want everything Stu has!!!' :)

Seriously though I'm pleased for you, glad you've found equilibrium, or contentment, or inner peace or whatever it is you've found (with your gear and your observing habits) I remember you commenting on a thread I started about observing at home so it's nice to know you've found a way forward that fits.

19 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Or membership cards :) :happy6: :)

Just now, johnfosteruk said:

Stu, you can't stop, you're my justification 'At least I don't want everything Stu has!!!' :)

Seriously though I'm pleased for you, glad you've found equilibrium, or contentment, or inner peace or whatever it is you've found (with your gear and your observing habits) I remember you commenting on a thread I started about observing at home so it's nice to know you've found a way forward that fits.

Yeah, she is partial to a bit of.............well ANYTHING REALLY. I'm amazed she is still alive.

8 minutes ago, johnfosteruk said:

The last time Stu posted about something he bought, he said he couldnt even remember what it was that he bought (until it arrived, i think).

People who live in greenhouses cant throw stones though. I certainly dont remember ordering a BR copy of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on Feb 11th............but apparently, i did.

Doing a spring clean last week (gathering all of my astro gear in one place), i found stuff which i bought perhaps 5 yrs ago which i absolutely needed at the time,spent good money on...........and never used.

Go figure.

Well i finally got down to one scope...........then promptly went and bought a second, so i now have the 120ED and a superb little 102 skymax, as to be expected both are not getting any use due to the awful weather (just had storm doris pass by and now an un named storm is doing its thing)

@Stu you have a superb line up of kit, and living in Surrey you will get better weather to enjoy it than we get up here

Thanks All. I am going to endeavour to enter a Zen like period of calmness where I just.....wait for it, cos I know this is revolutuonary......just USE my kit and don't constantly swap it.

I think I'm in a good place to do this now, so let's see what happens. I certainly don't NEED anything else, it's the wanting that's the problem :). I keep wanting to try a GP-DX mount, and if one comes up at the right price and location I will probably give it a go, but that's it.

9 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

If we fed our dogs on beans on toast  for a month they'd be sleeping in the shed, well one of us would. Stu, hope you enjoy your sabbatical from the roller-coaster, are you not going to miss the "rush"?

When I was younger I used to love rollercoaster's, but now I wouldn't go on one for love nor money! Well may be a lot of money, then I could buy a second FC100DC and get Peter Drew to build me a Tak bino scope! Until then I''ll remain in Zen land with my single fab little scope! 

Mike :grin:

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

When I was younger I used to love rollercoaster's, but now I wouldn't go on one for love nor money! Well may be a lot of money, then I could buy a second FC100DC and get Peter Drew to build me a Tak bino scope! Until then I''ll remain in Zen land with my single fab little scope! 

Mike :grin:

Wow, that would be so cool, a pair of Tak 100`s as bino scope, i must try to get a look through one of his bino scopes

40 minutes ago, Alfian said:

If we fed our dogs on beans on toast  for a month they'd be sleeping in the shed, well one of us would. Stu, hope you enjoy your sabbatical from the roller-coaster, are you not going to miss the "rush"?

Are you sure you have not been feeding them beans on toast................we have just had Storm Doris :grin:

38 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Are you sure you have not been feeding them beans on toast................we have just had Storm Doris :grin:

No, beans are off the menu, as things are we just about manage to keep things further down to the lower levels of the Beaufort Scale. If things get out of hand we'll issue a suitably named storm warning. Apologies for getting off topic.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

.... I know this is revolutuonary......just USE my kit and don't constantly swap it.....

I think thats a very sound idea and I'm going to try and follow a similar regime :icon_biggrin:

Sound purchases all Stu :happy11:

I always have have a wants list each year although much of this is presently based around solar binoviewing.

Next year probably focuser upgrades and then probably start saving for upgrade of my 102 f7 to something more exotic.

Btw how do you find the omni plossls?  was considering a pair of 32mm.

16 hours ago, Paul73 said:

There a sneaky little 3 to 6mm Nag Zoom in there too, to keep it company Paul. Oh, and I've got a x2.5 PowerMate I'd kind of forgotten about ;) 

38 minutes ago, Moonshane said:

Sound purchases all Stu :happy11:

I always have have a wants list each year although much of this is presently based around solar binoviewing.

Next year probably focuser upgrades and then probably start saving for upgrade of my 102 f7 to something more exotic.

Btw how do you find the omni plossls?  was considering a pair of 32mm.

Shane, look out for a pair of skywatcher silvertop plossl`s for bino, you might be surprised at how good they are

Archived