NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stop the rollercoaster, I want to get off!

Stu

1 hour ago, John said:

I think thats a very sound idea and I'm going to try and follow a similar regime :icon_biggrin:

I think that's pretty much doable:smiley:

With only one sold scope, and owner of 4 scopes, I've not taken much of rollercoaster ride, since 5 scopes are lean, maybe I can use signature something like "extra lean" or "truly minimalist"?:grin:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, YKSE said:

I think that's pretty much doable:smiley:

With only one sold scope, and owner of 4 scopes, I've not taken much of rollercoaster ride, since 5 scopes are lean, maybe I can use signature something like "extra lean" or "truly minimalist"?:grin:

Please do Yong, it will stop Derek taking the micky out of me so much :) 

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please do Yong, it will stop Derek taking the micky out of me so much :) 

I'd think you'll need to find much more micky inside you to enjoy the same wilder rollercoaster as Derek have done:grin:

On 2/24/2017 at 21:27, Stu said:

Vixen 102mm f10 PST Mod

For solar Ha I have this very nice Vixen 102mm f10 PST mod from Peter Drew, currently on evaluation until I get some decent sunshine through it.....

I am happy to evaluate this on your behalf Stu, do you take cards? :)

Is there some kind of subliminal tidal force at work? Something that is working to make us consider how much of our kit we actually need? How little we can get by with?

I know, the obvious thing is economics, but I can't help but think there's something else. Downsizing is in the air. Even John has mentioned how nice it is to use his 1.25" eyepieces in his dob, leaving the Ethos in the case. Heaven forbid...

:happy11:

The tide will rise and fall. It's fun to ride it like a rollercoaster. It's good to have an international gyroscope, too.

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

Is there some kind of subliminal tidal force at work? Something that is working to make us consider how much of our kit we actually need? How little we can get by with?

At the risk of venturing into forbidden territory, could it be that the current raised air of uncertainty in the wider world subliminally (or maybe not so) makes us look to and enjoy what we have rather than have wish lists. I might be barking up the wrong tree, or just barking ..., as life is always full of uncertainties. Equally some people might take the opposite view and go what the heck lets just go for it! Just a thought.

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

I can't help but think there's something else. Downsizing is in the air.

Should you wish to reach complete enlightenment and inner peace Mike, I'll tell Susie "you're gonna need a bigger box" (to misquote Capt Brody / Roy Scheider) and you can toss in the AZ8 and the TV85 on the 9th... :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Racey said:

Should you wish to reach complete enlightenment and inner peace Mike, I'll tell Susie "you're gonna need a bigger box" (to misquote Capt Brody / Roy Scheider) and you can toss in the AZ8 and the TV85 on the 9th... :thumbsup:

Glad to know I can count on you, Simon.

It's been quite a step for me already.

:happy11:

11 minutes ago, Racey said:

On the other hand, this would leave me with the residual burden of a 120ED and a case full of Ethos.

Are you sure you have my best interest in mind?

:grin:

10 minutes ago, iPeace said:

On the other hand, this would leave me with the residual burden of a 120ED and a case full of Ethos.

:grin:

Oh very well... Chuck them in too then if it helps you further down that path... 

:icon_biggrin:

I think the main factor that has caused me to look at my kit and wonder why I have it all is the lack of suitable viewing that we have had lately :rolleyes2:

If I was getting 4-5 nights a month observing then the kit would all be used. In reality I might have had 2-3 decent observing sessions since Christmas so questions are getting asked .....

5 hours ago, iPeace said:

Okay Okay... I'll come clean... I'm up for being adopted as your annoying "little brother" if it means I get all your hand me downs... 

?

An interesting thread on the CloudyNights forum: "If you could own just two telescopes...":

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/563379-if-you-could-own-just-2-telescopes/

There seems to be a remarkable consensus: a good frac of about 4" or 5", as a grab-and-go and travel scope, solar, or, on a GEM mount, for AP;

and a big(gish) dob, still easy to handle,  for Deep Sky and anything else.

Well worth thinking about that....

Stephan

8 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

An interesting thread on the CloudyNights forum: "If you could own just two telescopes...":

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/563379-if-you-could-own-just-2-telescopes/

There seems to be a remarkable consensus: a good frac of about 4" or 5", as a grab-and-go and travel scope, solar, or, on a GEM mount, for AP;

and a big(gish) dob, still easy to handle,  for Deep Sky and anything else.

Well worth thinking about that....

Stephan

Interesting that.

I'd kind of achieved that around 5 years ago but the roller coaster / merry-go-round kept on running :rolleyes2:

I wonder to what extent discussions on forums actually fuel these fairground devices :icon_scratch:

Eg: I thought I had some fine diagonals until I read the report from Bill Paolini on the things ..... :rolleyes2:

(I realise that I'm no angel in this matter :angel12:)

5 hours ago, timwetherell said:

I hear you gentlemen. The cold light of dawn is just beginning to shine on my little eyepiece addiction. Perhaps time to rationalise the collection!

You are among friends here Tim. Tell us all about it, if that helps ...... :icon_biggrin:

6 hours ago, John said:

Interesting that.

I'd kind of achieved that around 5 years ago but the roller coaster / merry-go-round kept on running :rolleyes2:

I wonder to what extent discussions on forums actually fuel these fairground devices :icon_scratch:

Eg: I thought I had some fine diagonals until I read the report from Bill Paolini on the things ..... :rolleyes2:

(I realise that I'm no angel in this matter :angel12:)

Yep, discussions only make you less content I think...

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/column/from-the-editors-desk/a-tale-of-two-astronomers-r1450

But what else can we do when we can't actually use the equipment because of the lousy weather :evil6: 

Helen

33 minutes ago, Helen said:

Yep, discussions only make you less content I think...

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/column/from-the-editors-desk/a-tale-of-two-astronomers-r1450

But what else can we do when we can't actually use the equipment because of the lousy weather :evil6: 

Helen

Interesting article. If I'm honest,  I'm not an "Alfred" but do show signs of being like a "Steve" at times I'm afraid :rolleyes2:

The weather does make the whole business rather academic much of the time, I agree :dontknow:

Archived