Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Luna ED120....shock

nightfisher

Its been quite a nice day, but cloud forcast and rolling in, so despite man flu i nipped out to try the ED120 with 1000D for a quick Luna image capture, shot at iso 200 and 1/60 speed this is 8 frames stacked with pipp and regi 6 (i guess regi decided to play for once), tiny bit of wavelets but only a tad, i think focus could have been a tiny bit sharper, but here we are, a finished image

IMG_0344_pipp.png

12 minutes ago, Chris Lock said:

Both very nice versions Jules :) Did you manage to get an eyepiece in it for the Moon?

Yes, i used the Vixen Lanthunum 18mm and BST 12mm, pleased to say no false colour detected

28 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Yes, i used the Vixen Lanthunum 18mm and BST 12mm, pleased to say no false colour detected

Can't see any Jules, looks great. Bit of a tweak on the focus next time and Bob's your uncle :) 

I have had another play with processing as i had other frames that i did not use, so this is a process of 10 frames, and got the focus very slightly better, i have to say using the ED120 on EQ5 is a bit hit and miss focusing as lots of vibration each time i turn focus, might have to look at motor focusing

IMG_0347_pipp.png

That's a cracking image Jules, one of the best I've seen from you. The scope certainly seems to be up to the job!

Motor focusing might be worth investigating. I was using my OMC140 on a Vixen GP with AZEQ5 tripod and it was quite wobbly during focusing so I would expect the ED120 to be that much more tricky to focus due to the length although you've got a more stable tripod. Nice and stable whilst tracking though.

Keep them coming :) 

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

That's a cracking image Jules, one of the best I've seen from you. The scope certainly seems to be up to the job!

Motor focusing might be worth investigating. I was using my OMC140 on a Vixen GP with AZEQ5 tripod and it was quite wobbly during focusing so I would expect the ED120 to be that much more tricky to focus due to the length although you've got a more stable tripod. Nice and stable whilst tracking though.

Keep them coming :) 

Cheers Stu, by the way if the OMC 140 is a good one hang onto it, wish i had kept my deluxe :smiley:

I think a motor on the focuser is the way forward, especially with a 1000D on it, i have just this morning done a motor conversion on my little 102 skymax (see DIY section) but would want to do a more professional job with ED120 

Fantastic Jules, pleased to see this for a lot of reasons.. made up you've had some time with the 120, but even more made up you've got some results with the stacking side too on the processing front..

The 120 has put some depth in to the image too, nice detail and looks very natural..

I had a quick peak with the 72mm but no imaging as I was heading out for a birthday bash.. must say the seeing looked great early doors..

Just on the focusing, I found if I focus in movie mode on the dslr I can get better finer adjustments, some times I find that live view has a bit of a delay in it and you can go past optimum quiet easily..

Looking forward to some more!

Ta

Steve 

Ps did you use tracking mount?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 09:29, Fozzie said:

Fantastic Jules, pleased to see this for a lot of reasons.. made up you've had some time with the 120, but even more made up you've got some results with the stacking side too on the processing front..

The 120 has put some depth in to the image too, nice detail and looks very natural..

I had a quick peak with the 72mm but no imaging as I was heading out for a birthday bash.. must say the seeing looked great early doors..

Just on the focusing, I found if I focus in movie mode on the dslr I can get better finer adjustments, some times I find that live view has a bit of a delay in it and you can go past optimum quiet easily..

Looking forward to some more!

Ta

Steve 

Ps did you use tracking mount?

Just coming back to this, we spoke about issues with pipp and registax but all is sweet now, the trouble i was having was trying to pipp and registax images taken in alt az, so too much variation/movement between frames, on the driven EQ mount this is not an issue, and NO not had any clear skies since i took this image

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic detail in that original image. I can see things in it which ive never seen with my own eyes while using a scope. In particular the crater marked in red. An old crater which has been filled in with lava (im guessing here), and a smaller younger crater almost slap bang in the centre of it. Not an unusual sight i'm sure on the Moon.....i just cant ever remember seeing this particular one (not that ive seen them all).

Untitled.jpg

29 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Fantastic detail in that original image. I can see things in it which ive never seen with my own eyes while using a scope. In particular the crater marked in red. An old crater which has been filled in with lava (im guessing here), and a smaller younger crater almost slap bang in the centre of it. Not an unusual sight i'm sure on the Moon.....i just cant ever remember seeing this particular one (not that ive seen them all).

Untitled.jpg

Do you mean this crater?

ED120 crop.PNG

3 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

Do you mean this crater?

ED120 crop.PNG

Yep. That looks to be the one. That's a better image of it (so to speak). It shows the outline of a much bigger/older crater which has been back-filled and then the smaller/younger one (almost centred) created the crater rim visible on 2 sides (does a circle have sides?),LOL.

It's a fine looking object which i will seek out next time i see the Moon.

46 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Using @johnfosteruk 's beautifully annotated image of a short time ago I think we can point you in the direction of Cassini :)

Paul.jpg

Thanks for that. Saves me having to look it up. Its in the Sinus Iridum (my favourite part of the Lunar landscape), so i should find it easy enough. Not sure how it has escaped my attention til now. Maybe i'm just not chucking enough magnification at the Moon. Time to dust off the 4mm Omni. I'm very familiar with Mons Piton and Aristillus, which are practically its next door neighbours.

Who said that the Moon was a boring object!!!. Ive been observing for about 37 yrs (obviously not observing correctly), and i have just discovered something that really peaked my interest.

Its always a good day when you learn something new.

Archived