Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar crater Eratosthenes

acr_astro

Hi all,

yesterday evening I got cold fingers at -3°C when sitting behind my 5" MAK doing a sketch of lunar crater Eratosthenes.

Telescope: Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT
Eyepiece: Skywatcher 5mm UWA 58°
Date & Time: Jan 6th, 2017 / 1740-1840 CET
Technique: natural charcoal and chalk on black sketching paper
Size: 11"x11"

Image is mirror-reversed.

20170106_Eratosthenes_small.JPG

Eratosthenes is about 58km in diameter and is located at the western end of the Apennines. On the sketch you can see as well the western rim of the low crater Stadius (SE of Eratosthenes) and the craters Eratosthenes C and Wolff B.

Clear skies!

Achim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

That is a beautiful sketch, executed with great skill and attention to detail, especially so considering the cold conditions. I am a new member and was just perusing the sketching forum when I came across your image. In my opinion producing a satisfactory lunar drawing is probably the greatest challenge of all.  Keep up the good work.    kind regards     Chris.    

This is one of the best sketches I've seen for a while, quite outstanding.  It's one of the very few drawings I've seen  that shows the sort of detail I can see through my telescope.  Envy isn't the word I'm looking for! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived