NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M78 with only 1,5 hours... had to try!

MartinFransson

I know, this is way too few subs for a DSLR on an object this dim but I just love M78 and now I had the chance to try it for the first time since getting my scope. Had to stretch it a bit too hard but I´m still very pleased with the result, considering the limited exposure.

Canon EOS 550D
Skywatcher 150-PDS
Baader MPCC
HEQ5 Pro Synscan
Orion MMAG

19x300 seconds @ISO800.

Thanks for watching!

M78_19x5min_o_final.jpg

What an excellent image, can you tell me what sort of skies you have (LP or dark?).

This has really inspired me as I have managed to get a mono image of this difficult target but colour has been really difficult.  

My DSLR died on me back in September and I might endeavour to replace it once I can get back to imaging again after my accident.  

Well done.

Carole 

5 hours ago, carastro said:

What an excellent image, can you tell me what sort of skies you have (LP or dark?).

This has really inspired me as I have managed to get a mono image of this difficult target but colour has been really difficult.  

My DSLR died on me back in September and I might endeavour to replace it once I can get back to imaging again after my accident.  

Well done.

Carole 

Thank you Carole!

I´m in a small green zone surrounded by even darker areas according to https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

This target doesn't rise to more than about 20 degrees or so and I have some LP in that direction but by LP I´m still only talking about a small orange zone about 2 km away.

Don´t know what kind of accident you had but I hope you get well soon!

Yes, really nice Martin, particularly for being shot from Sweden. Much better than my try in October (I should try again when I get home in a few weeks). From where I presently am (14° S in Queensland) Orion is straight up so this would possibly be an easy target (if only I had brought some equipment....)

Archived