Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Greetings from Cumbria

JasOne

Just thought I'd say hello rather then just lurk in the background. I'm a rekindled beginner having just acquired a used CPC800 (from a very helpful SGL member) which is such a treat after my 5" Mak on an EQ mount. Using my first goto scope reminds me a little of tourists who use the tube in London; hopping from place to place without really knowing where they are - so I'm trying to get the balance right between convenience and learning the sky. It does mean I get to spend much more of my time actually observing though - so I'm working my way through the Messiers and savouring them afresh (and actually finding some of them for the first time..) Lucky to have reasonably dark skies just outside my back door so having lots of fun. Very grateful too for the wealth of knowledge to be gained be searching the forums here.

Best wishes all for a great 2017!

Welcome to SGL Jas. Plenty of assistance awaits if you require any.
Nice Scope you have got yourself there, should bring much pleasure  seeking out
all the Galaxies goodies. I'm just up the M6 from you in Carlisle, so we'll be sharing the same weather  for sure.
Best Wishes.

Hi and welcome. 

I was looking at something like the CPC800 when I rebooted my stargazing activity a few years ago. Instead I went for a cumbersome 250mm skywatcher newt on a EQ6 mount. 

I'm at my getaway just south of Penrith for the weekend where it's cold but cloudy. Still,  I consider this as my dark sky site. I might just ask you to turn your lights off when they bother my northern horizon! :)

Thanks all. Paul judging from your profile pic I think I live about a mile south of your rural retreat not far from the George & Dragon - Sunday or Monday is looking hopeful for a clear night - I'll make sure the Christmas lights are down for you ;) 

59 minutes ago, JasOne said:

Thanks all. Paul judging from your profile pic I think I live about a mile south of your rural retreat not far from the George & Dragon - Sunday or Monday is looking hopeful for a clear night - I'll make sure the Christmas lights are down for you ;) 

Ah,  yes I know the George and Dragon.  Not been in since we got the dog 6 years ago. We're still south of you.  Not far from Hackthorpe. 

We couldn't afford Lowther site fees :)

Been hoping for some clear skies this weekend.  My pal got a small scope for a big birthday a while ago and he's still not looked through it. I have but he hasn't. 

He's not an astronomer as such but we've spent many great nights under the Cumbrian stars after the glare of the BBQ has faded. Light pollution has certainly increased in the 14 years or so we've been coming here but it's better than on the Fylde. 

I think he'd love to see the phases of Venus as a planetary first. 

Dogs very welcome at the D&G! From Hackthorpe you'll be contending with the floodlights at the Jenkinson's plant I guess - I wish they'd at least point them downwards! 

Really enjoyed your first light report on the 127 - It's inspired me to write up my notes from Wednesday, which was my first night with the CPC800.

Have a wonderful weekend, good luck with some clear sky and best wishes for a great New Year!

Jason

Archived