Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Outside Cloud Forecasts

FLO

A quick notice regarding the cloud data displayed at our Clear Outside weather forecasts for astronomers website. 

The source we use for cloud data has been updated to a newer (better) European weather model which should result in higher accuracy :smile: 

However, for a while, data will be updated every three hours, not hourly. We will return to hourly cloud forecasts “in the near future” but until then you will see cloud forecasts displayed and updated in three hour intervals. 

The other weather data displayed at Clear Outside is unaffected. Also astronomy info like Sun rise/set/transit times, Moon phase and rise/set times, civil/nautical/astronomical darkness times and ISS passover times are all unaffected, they will continue to be updated hourly. 

We've had some reports of Clear Outside issues in the Android App - it looks like a recent Android update has added some functionality that was previously missing that our APP had to emulate to achieve the required scrolling effects. As a result, this is causing a conflict and some performance issues.

We think we may have a fix, so if you are an Android user who is experiencing this issue can you let us know in this thread please? We can then ask you to check once the fix is implemented to see if it solves the problem.

I'm running Android 4.4.2 on a Samsung 8" tablet, and scrolling in landscape seems fine. In portrait it only shows data in 4-hourly intervals. Is that how it's meant to be? I would have expected hourly divisions and being able to scroll left and right, but I've never checked it before!

Ian

I have the app on a Oneplus 3 and the issue for me is that a sideswipe now only moves the screen 1 hour at a time so moving to the next day requires 24 swipes.   The app is otherwise working perfectly.

Android version 6.0.1 - Security patch date 01/11/2016 - Kernel version 3.18.20-perf+ date 18/11/2016

OxygenOS version 3.2.8

John

I'm having the same swipe problem as John on 2 devices. Samsung Galaxy and Nexus 7. Both have Android 6.0.1   

The Galaxy has Kernel 3.18.14 dated 16 Nov (actually, I have no idea what the kernel does, but John quoted his)

The Nexus 7 has Kernel 3.4.0 Jul 2

Allan

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/12/2016 at 13:11, FLO said:

We've had some reports of Clear Outside issues in the Android App - it looks like a recent Android update has added some functionality that was previously missing that our APP had to emulate to achieve the required scrolling effects. As a result, this is causing a conflict and some performance issues.

We think we may have a fix, so if you are an Android user who is experiencing this issue can you let us know in this thread please? We can then ask you to check once the fix is implemented to see if it solves the problem.

Yep, scrolling has become a problem for me, very slow and notchy.

Galaxy S6, V6.0.1

EDIT: Looks like I may have picked up an update, scrolling OK now.

I cannot work out a way to set the home location, its defaulted to FLO HQ, and the only way I can get a forecast is to use the "Current" tab. No biggie. But thought I'd let you know. 

I've just moved back to Android from Apply, so its possible it might be me thats at fault :)

Ant

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 12:39, FLO said:

A quick notice regarding the cloud data displayed at our Clear Outside weather forecasts for astronomers website. 

The source we use for cloud data has been updated to a newer (better) European weather model which should result in higher accuracy :smile: 

However, for a while, data will be updated every three hours, not hourly. We will return to hourly cloud forecasts “in the near future” but until then you will see cloud forecasts displayed and updated in three hour intervals. 

The other weather data displayed at Clear Outside is unaffected. Also astronomy info like Sun rise/set/transit times, Moon phase and rise/set times, civil/nautical/astronomical darkness times and ISS passover times are all unaffected, they will continue to be updated hourly. 

Brilliant website, thanks for running it! :icon_biggrin:

On 1/10/2017 at 22:21, cardigan wearer said:

Idea for your update. Can it give a notification when its clear or predicted to be clear?

11 hours ago, michaelmorris said:

Great idea.

Also what about a widget that sits on your phone's home screen?

I am sure it has this function; just mother nature not playing nicely this decade!
Now if the app could just clear the sky, that would be great for us all.

But a notification it might be clear tonight earlier in the day woul be nice, but you can always open the app and have alook anyway.
Proper Planning Prevent Poor Performance or such a line applies perhaps?

5 hours ago, Alan White said:

I am sure it has this function; just mother nature not playing nicely this decade!
Now if the app could just clear the sky, that would be great for us all.

But a notification it might be clear tonight earlier in the day woul be nice, but you can always open the app and have alook anyway.
Proper Planning Prevent Poor Performance or such a line applies perhaps?

Dont know about its functionality in ios but my version does not give notifications on android. Yes you can open the app and have a look, but forecasts change though out the day.

Archived