Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help required

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've just pulled the trigger on a C8 sct and I suspect my better half is likely to be less than impressed :help:  I reckon I can dress it up to look like either my c6 or 200p so what do you think my odds are? I would very much appreciate any hard learned tips on hiding new purchases and I'm sure this is the place to ask :happy7: I'm sure you've all been here before :angel9:

Well, you know, you can put perfume and lipstick on a pig. But it's still a pig.

Just say it is needed to do the next step in your Astronomy. (Which it is...) I've always found asking forgiveness was easier than asking permission.

2 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Well, you know, you can put perfume and lipstick on a pig. But it's still a pig.

Just say it is needed to do the next step in your Astronomy. (Which it is...) I've always found asking forgiveness was easier than asking permission.

I think it might be wise to keep her away from SGL - especially this thread: "Well, you know, you can put perfume and lipstick on a pig. But it's still a pig."

She may think you've described her as being the creature delineated in the above quote! :eek:  :cussing::eek:

Run Away!

Dave

This is an age old problem for me as I have a bit of a SLR and Lens habit as well as this new astronomy bug.    I've managed to sell a few photos here and there which keeps that fund topped up to an extent.  The balance is met by making sure I spend as much on her as I do on myself (give or take a few quid :wink:) and everyone is happy.  As a side effect, my budget is naturally constrained.

Now where did that last credit card bill go? :smiley:

14 hours ago, Hadron said:

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've just pulled the trigger on a C8 sct and I suspect my better half is likely to be less than impressed :help:  I reckon I can dress it up to look like either my c6 or 200p so what do you think my odds are? I would very much appreciate any hard learned tips on hiding new purchases and I'm sure this is the place to ask :happy7: I'm sure you've all been here before :angel9:

Say sorry now.

Find site that sells Radley handbags, send he the link and leave your credit card on the table.

As I have found with acquiring surfboards, the key to success is generally lying. Hide it somewhere she is unlikely to go (in my case the spider infested corners of the garage or between some fence panels in the garden). If she does find it just say you are borrowing it, or that you have sold something to fund the purchase.

2 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Dave.... I meant trying to disguise the scope.... :hiding::lol:

I know what you said in reference to. I'm looking at it through the eyes of the wife. :eek:  :D

She'll be on a hair-trigger, so any little thing could be a catalyst for a 10 megaton bomb-blast!

Able-Archer-83-Nuclear-Armageddon.jpg

Dave

7 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I know what you said in reference to. I'm looking at it through the eyes of the wife. :eek:  :D

She'll be on a hair-trigger, so any little thing could be a catalyst for a 10 megaton bomb-blast!

Able-Archer-83-Nuclear-Armageddon.jpg

Dave

Only a 10? :lol:

7 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

I've found the best policy is to say what I would like and why. Usually the answer I receive is "if you want it get it". At the moment I have unused permission for a 10" GOTO Dob. 

That's what I have always told her. "if you want it, get it."

But when a lot of expensive equipment started showing up she forgot that.

I still have my kit, and she got over it. :wink:

13 hours ago, Astro Imp said:

I've found the best policy is to say what I would like and why. Usually the answer I receive is "if you want it get it". At the moment I have unused permission for a 10" GOTO Dob. 

I've heard that one too - followed by "have you seen this" as she browses jewellery sites.

Mine has also bought me kit.

But I still need to use the had it for ages, ?

Thanks for all the suggestions (well most anyway :grin:). The scope in question turned up today whilst I was at work so it's as well I'd admitted to a bit of retail therapy (she had to sign for it so I think I may have been sleeping in the greenhouse if it had come as a surprise!!). In the end I tried the old trick of "it's a second hand one that's in need of a bit of tlc and it'll make a tidy profit on it once I've done it up". At the moment I think my ploy has worked but it may be prudent to lock up the weed killer and rat poison in case she gives me any funny tasting cups of tea   :help:

Archived