SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

had my first proper go with my new canon at my new house and i would consider it to be a success!

widefield of M42 (how original) with a slight crop. Got 2 versions here, first with minor tweak on the levels and the second a big tweek which shows much more nebula, but utterly blows out of the core.

If anyone can help with how to process something in easy simple ways using GIMP - i'm all ears! would love to keep all the extra nebulosity without making the centre a big white messy blob. I'm also getting what looks like vignetting in the second image too....... no idea how to deal with that!!!!!!!!

210 x 10sec exposures at iso800 200mm f5.6

sgl1.jpg

sgl2.jpg

edited to add - you can just see the running man in there too!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, nicks90 said:

had my first proper go with my new canon at my new house and i would consider it to be a success!

widefield of M42 (how original) with a slight crop. Got 2 versions here, first with minor tweak on the levels and the second a big tweek which shows much more nebula, but utterly blows out of the core.

If anyone can help with how to process something in easy simple ways using GIMP - i'm all ears! would love to keep all the extra nebulosity without making the centre a big white messy blob. I'm also getting what looks like vignetting in the second image too....... no idea how to deal with that!!!!!!!!

210 x 10sec exposures at iso800 200mm f5.6

sgl1.jpg

sgl2.jpg

edited to add - you can just see the running man in there too!

Nice to hear from you Nick.

Looks like you're steadily getting to grips with the dark side. I'm sure the guys will be able to help you out with the processing side.

HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone!!! Let's hope 2017 brings us all lots of lovely clear skies!

Fantastic image Nick - the processing is the hardest part and M42 is notriously difficult to get right. I'll have a look for a link that Justine from HAPS posted which had some basic tutorials on YuTube which were very good.

I was busy imaging in the back yard on Friday night 30.12.2016 and here is my image of M1 The Crab Nebula
Taken using Atik 314L monochrome CCD and Celestron 8SE SCT telescope
10 x 300 seconds H-alpha, 10 x 300 seconds OIII and 10 x 300 second dark frames
I had help with the initial processing by an astro-imager contact who stacked the narrowband subs and then assigned them to colour channels to give a bi-colour image
I then took over by lightly processing in Photoshop to make the image my own
Although I cannot claim that this is entirely my own work, I am so happy to see my data trasformed into a colour image :)

M1 The Crab Nebula.jpg

Nice to see you've got out Vicky, it's been quiet for me although I managed two real sessions over my two weeks off. 

Welcome to the new year to all our WADAS members and guest followers

Damian

16 hours ago, rockystar said:

Boy, that moon is hard to capture - so bright, even at this thin crescent. Back to some visual a bit later, it's forecast to stay clear.

MoonVenusMars.png

You will need a slower shutter speed i think, what speed did you have it on?

Archived