Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mapstar said:

BBC has the forecast as clear all night Wednesday up at Winscar (dunford bridge). The DLB will be at 46% and was just wondering whether it would be worth trying to get a bit of scope time even if only until the moon does make it's presence felt (about 1 am). Astronomical darkness around 6pm so could get some nice targets  

Calm it down guys, I said the forecast was wrong for this aft but tomorrow does look o.k. at present

9 minutes ago, rockystar said:

I was hopeful that I might be able to come out tomorrow, but turns out my wife has other plans :(

on separate note, does anyone want any back issues of sky at night magazine, before I dispose of them?

Gutted for you, hopefully it will be a clear evening 

5 minutes ago, 2STAR said:

Met Office and local BBC have it clear, Clear outside has it 2%, looks ok, if you are going Damian let me know for sure and I will join you there

Eric 

Eric I'm just loading the car up and going to have a bit of tea then head up. Should be there for half 5 latest 

I arrived at Winscar at half 5 and got set up. Darkness had already fallen so half an hour later I was ready.

Eric arrived about 7pm and started to set up but after the initial power ups he found the windows update had caused problems with his camera software. So it would be a visual night for him.

Cloud around 9pm caused a break in proceedings and due to problems Eric had already had he decided to pack away and just steal a few views through my scope.

The temperature had dropped from 2°C to 0°C and everthing was beginning to develop a thick layer of frost on it.

I gave Eric a view of the Orion neb and he was able to pick out the E and F stars. 

Whilst checking some galaxy observations on stellarium Uranus popped up as a good target.

Using Eric's phone stellarium and the staf chart we successfully tracked it down in the constellation of pisces near to NGC488 and 524.  It looked a pale blue colour although we couldn't be certain that the small points of light around it were the moons.

Eric left around 11pm and I stayed on mopping up the targets till more cloud or fog rolled in at half past midnight.

The scope was by that time thick with Ice and I quickly found the primary was fogging over explaining a lot about the struggle I had for the last half hour.

20161222_004658.jpg

20161222_005635.jpg

I packed up and got in at half 1.had a cuppa before hitting the eider. 

nice one Damian, that frost looks nasty.

I'd decided to go out after some dinner, but it was raining :( I thought that was it for the night, but looked out the window an hour later and it was beaut. So got the gear all set up, picked out a few targets, and then wife came home lighting up the house and wanting to watch something.

eventually out at 10:20, managed nearly 2 hours and the scope was dripping.

it was good to get out - It's been far too long!

Archived