Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS forum 3

mapstar

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, mapstar said:

Tonight was a bust but the location is good as when the moon dropped it was very dark although cloud cover was present. 

Shame about the clouds... How can all meteorologists all over the country get something so basic so wrong?

It cleared up here about 10:30 - 11 pm. I managed to get outside for about half an hour and test the bahitov mask but by that time I couldn't see half the targets I wanted to try for plus it was later than I wanted.  The mask apeared to worked fine

"Just 3 widefield from a disastrous night out with Damian.( Not Damian but the cloud cover. ) it just goes to show that all the forecasts in the world have know ideal what they are talking about :clouds1:"

Their ideas of clear skies, bear no resemblance to our vision of cloudless and clear skies. :unsure:

Derek 

2 minutes ago, Physopto said:

"Just 3 widefield from a disastrous night out with Damian.( Not Damian but the cloud cover. ) it just goes to show that all the forecasts in the world have know ideal what they are talking about :clouds1:"

Their ideas of clear skies, bear no resemblance to our vision of cloudless and clear skies. :unsure:

Derek 

If only it would have been halfway to being right but it wasn't even close lol ? 

I get  asked the question often as to where I've been going to for my local dark sky site so thought I'd post this here;

MY DARK SKY OBSERVING SITE:
Over several months in 2006. I set away on a journey to find a dark(-ish) observing site. The parameters were: travel time under 1 hr and 45mins, within 100 miles from home, preferably at least 1000ft above sea level and away from a main road.
I travelled many miles over several months, going as far as north central Wales, the North York Moors, Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales.
In the end I settled upon a location in the Dales with a reasonable compromise in sky darkness, weather conditions, distance and drive time. The bonus here was this location is also very beautiful by day which made nice long days out a possibilty. It is northwest from Buckden and south from Hawes.
From door to door : drivetime was 1hr30-50mins. Distance was 50-58miles. Site A was just under 1900ft above sea level  and in 10 yrs of using this location, I've experienced no more than 20 vehicles passing me after 9pm.
The sky is quite dark and useable overhead, west, north and east. The sky to the south has a 35 degree light dome from Skipton, Leeds and Bradford.
Site A is the best , it's high and the darkest especially if there is mist in the valleys to trap the light pollution. It is exposed so no good in windy conditions.
Site B is a small disused quarry face  lower down the hill which is our most used location as it offers protection from wind and light.
Site C runs along the stream but laybys have recently been grassed so pull offs are harder to find. This location is safe during icy conditions which make hill drives a little dangerous.
I recommend this location for when you need somewhere much darker than our regular city locations. Not to far but the trip is worth the effort!

IMG_7899.PNG

48 minutes ago, cosmicbug said:

I get  asked the question often as to where I've been going to for my local dark sky site so thought I'd post this here;

MY DARK SKY OBSERVING SITE:
Over several months in 2006. I set away on a journey to find a dark(-ish) observing site. The parameters were: travel time under 1 hr and 45mins, within 100 miles from home, preferably at least 1000ft above sea level and away from a main road.
I travelled many miles over several months, going as far as north central Wales, the North York Moors, Peak District and the Yorkshire Dales.
In the end I settled upon a location in the Dales with a reasonable compromise in sky darkness, weather conditions, distance and drive time. The bonus here was this location is also very beautiful by day which made nice long days out a possibilty. It is northwest from Buckden and south from Hawes.
From door to door : drivetime was 1hr30-50mins. Distance was 50-58miles. Site A was just under 1900ft above sea level  and in 10 yrs of using this location, I've experienced no more than 20 vehicles passing me after 9pm.
The sky is quite dark and useable overhead, west, north and east. The sky to the south has a 35 degree light dome from Skipton, Leeds and Bradford.
Site A is the best , it's high and the darkest especially if there is mist in the valleys to trap the light pollution. It is exposed so no good in windy conditions.
Site B is a small disused quarry face  lower down the hill which is our most used location as it offers protection from wind and light.
Site C runs along the stream but laybys have recently been grassed so pull offs are harder to find. This location is safe during icy conditions which make hill drives a little dangerous.
I recommend this location for when you need somewhere much darker than our regular city locations. Not to far but the trip is worth the effort!

IMG_7899.PNG

Just saved , looks good thanks Gain

It's a hoax, those sites have no sky above there just a black hole hehe 

Seriously though we will have to have a society observing trip up there. It's about an hour and 45 ish roughly travel time. I'll bring the chocolate :)

Archived